Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:21:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal or not: Exchange of Bitcoin between a US resident and sanctioned countries  (Read 144 times)
abit100 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2020, 08:09:15 PM

Based on US Laws is it legal for people residing in the United States to engage in cryptocurrency exchanges with ordinary citizens (like family members) of the countries with US sanctions imposed on them? I could not find a definitive answer to this. I appreciate any responses from folks with legal knowledge (possibly citing legal sources).

Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 19, 2020, 08:55:43 PM

Afaik there's a term for sending money abroad to family but I can't remember it's name.

My assumption would be it's the same as standard currency. If you can transfer via PayPal, western union or a bank account then you should be able to do it with bitcoin.

If not, how are the irs going to know about it? Are you planning to transfer large amounts as this could be where a dex might be useful if they'd want to break the link between sending to a sanctioned country from theirs.
Yaunfitda

Activity: 2842
Merit: 575

View Profile
October 19, 2020, 10:34:05 PM

Afaik there's a term for sending money abroad to family but I can't remember it's name.
Remittances?

My assumption would be it's the same as standard currency. If you can transfer via PayPal, western union or a bank account then you should be able to do it with bitcoin.
But that's standard fiat though?

If not, how are the irs going to know about it? Are you planning to transfer large amounts as this could be where a dex might be useful if they'd want to break the link between sending to a sanctioned country from theirs.
Unless you declare it, then IRS wouldn't know in the beginning,

If you can't find any answers then you should consider sending money from US to a sanctioned nation is illegal and it's potential consequences.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
AnonBitCoiner

Activity: 1386
Merit: 326

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2020, 11:25:38 PM

Based on US Laws is it legal for people residing in the United States to engage in cryptocurrency exchanges with ordinary citizens (like family members) of the countries with US sanctions imposed on them? I could not find a definitive answer to this. I appreciate any responses from folks with legal knowledge (possibly citing legal sources).

Thank you

In some part of United states,we can easily transfer the bitcoin.But in some states,their the flow of bitcoin had been lower than a as usual one.The flow of bitcoin in US was the source of Bitcoin price increase for a sudden pump and sudden dump.We can't predict with a accurate percentage.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 20, 2020, 05:10:51 AM

Thank you

I don't know what you mean by "cryptocurrency exchanges", but this might answer your question:

U.S. sanctions regulations permit U.S. financial institutions to process noncommercial, personal remittances to Iran.  These transactions may include a personal transfer of funds from the United States to Iran to assist a family member or friend, provided that the payment is processed through a third-country financial institution before reaching Iran, i.e., not a direct transfer from a U.S. bank to an Iranian bank, which is a prohibited transactions under current U.S. law.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
October 20, 2020, 08:13:50 AM

I can't find any specific examples, but according to this website:

Sending money to sanctioned countries — and the potential consequences

There are ways that people have chosen to get around these economic sanctions. But we stress that doing so is illegal and exposes you to severe legal and financial penalties.

If you choose to route your money through a country that doesn’t have sanctions against your intended destination — the UK, for example — you could be charged by the US with money laundering.

P2P shouldn't be a problem, as odolvlobo shared, but it could still certainly be seen as a method of money laundering. I don't think there will be issues with small amounts, but I would still strongly discourage it unless both parties know how to cover their tracks.

abit100 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2020, 11:23:17 AM

Thank you everyone for your answers.
Argoo

Activity: 2268
Merit: 225

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
November 20, 2020, 02:57:56 PM

Thank you
International sanctions are imposed against the state, legal entities or officials of this state, and not against citizens.  Therefore, I believe that it is completely legal to send payments in cryptocurrency or in ordinary currency to citizens of a country against which US sanctions have been imposed.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: