Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:15:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal to allow cryptocurrency buying, selling and shopping on its network  (Read 2028 times)
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1103

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 05:04:56 PM

This PayPal news is yet another attempt to leverage fractional reserve applied to Bitcoin. I will be eagerly waiting the day that all the people that will store bitcoin via PayPal will want to cash out when the price will skyrocket. That will be the day of PayPal collapse.
I leave them to that but I am sorry for new users that are about to be fooled if things remain like this.

I've never trusted PayPal and thought their business model will not survive with the fees they're charging. They somehow became popular and rode on that popularity for a time, but the fees and time it took for them to register money on the account was really bad compared to Bitcoin that allows you to exchange instantly instead of waiting for your money to appear on your centralized paypal account and then be moved to your bank.
They were trying to undermine Bitcoin's position first by attacking it and then trying to push Libra. Now they're opening payments, but it really looks like they're trying to accumulate coins this way. You won't know what they're doing with your coins as long as they're sole holders of your keys.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
servsec

Activity: 76
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 05:25:52 PM

Paypal limited accounts from many users and stole their money. Now I can imagine once users start to deposit crypto there.
https://www.google.com/search?q=paypal+stole+my+money+site:www.reddit.com&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc4J643s3sAhVBH7kGHRaFByUQrQIoBHoECAUQBQ
https://www.google.com/search?q=paypal+stole+my+money+site:www.paypal-community.com&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc4J643s3sAhVBH7kGHRaFByUQrQIoBHoECB8QBQ&biw=1366&bih=635

Yes, I was a victim as well. They limited my account without any justification and after 1 year they finally moved it to their account, with the description: PayPal's damages caused by Acceptable Use Policy violation, which they not told me where I did such damage.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=PayPal%27s+damages+caused+by+Acceptable+Use+Policy+violation
servsec

Activity: 76
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 05:27:16 PM

Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCMaQ9Pz_2c
Genemind

Activity: 1596
Merit: 335

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 06:10:43 PM

I think the best thing to do for now especially for those who are doubting about Paypal is just to wait for reviews and testimonies of those who will buy or sell Bitcoin through it. It's a great adoption and it will surely bring a huge impact on the whole cryptocurrency world. Paypal is still a huge network but I hope that more platforms and International online merchants would accept crypto as well.
iamsheikhadil

Activity: 1022
Merit: 133

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 06:12:06 PM

This is one of the best news that we the crypto community has got in the recent years.

I never thought a US company would do it, because the current Trump administration is very much anti-crypto. Trump himself tweeted against Bitcoin!

This is awesome, I have always loved using PayPal as payment option for many years because of the good-will and now with added cryptocurrency to it, it will be nice experience!
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 08:05:49 PM

This is a big deal for bitcoin and actually puts it on a similar footing to real fiat currency like the US dollar. I can see bitcoin increasing in price quite substantially with this change, because it will be a lot easier for the average person to access bitcoin. When they see that it is possible to easily hold it with a giant company like Paypal, lots of people will be drawn in - especially when they see it's past history and the potential return on investment. What with central banks talking about negative interest rates as well, more people are going to start parking their money elsewhere.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 09:32:06 PM

I think the best thing to do for now especially for those who are doubting about Paypal is just to wait for reviews and testimonies of those who will buy or sell Bitcoin through it. It's a great adoption and it will surely bring a huge impact on the whole cryptocurrency world. Paypal is still a huge network but I hope that more platforms and International online merchants would accept crypto as well.
^ There's nothing interesting because as I know if you will buy bitcoin using Paypal you cannot withdraw your crypto. Because as they say, you cannot transfer this into other accounts. You can use your cryptocurrency in buying and selling only that means they are a sort of an exchange where you can trade bitcoin to fiat. But if you will purchase bitcoin for holding purpose and transfer to your cold wallet, it is impossible. Nevertheless, if you are not concerned with your privacy, you can choose Paypal.
cryptoboss2020

Activity: 322
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 10:28:13 PM

this gives more proof to bitcoin as the speculative asset.
you cant trade this really you cant send it or store in your wallet paypal have control over your btc perhaps they have some insurance also to protect your crypto??
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 11:32:18 PM

This PayPal news is yet another attempt to leverage fractional reserve applied to Bitcoin. I will be eagerly waiting the day that all the people that will store bitcoin via PayPal will want to cash out when the price will skyrocket. That will be the day of PayPal collapse.

I'm not convinced this is about fractional reserve, especially since there is no sign Paypal is yet interested in entering the business of crypto lending. I think they've just been watching Square and Robinhood swallow up all their potential market share and they're sick of waiting around. With their scale, they could generate much larger revenues in a market making and brokering operation than both of those companies combined. Not to mention they are already basically set up to do exactly what Bitpay does. They just needed a company like Paxos to provide liquidity and custody.

MCobian

Activity: 1190
Merit: 117

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 01:03:24 AM

It's disappointing to know that Paypal only allows crypto buying, selling and holding on its platform. We cannot withdraw crypto to
personal wallets or spend crypto to buy goods directly at merchants on the Paypal network. And also like a centralized platform that
doesn't allow users to have private keys. So it is very visible that what Paypal is doing is not wanting to adopt cryptocurrency, but
wanting to get profit from cryptocurrency. After knowing this, I was not interested in buying cryptocurrency on Paypal.

SOLARBLOX        ◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥ crypto solar mining ◥◥
◼◼ Crypto Mining using Solar energy as substitute energy sources ◼◼
TELEGRAM TWITTER   ▪▪▪▪▪ [ DOWNLOAD WHITEPAPER ]
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 02:20:48 AM

Actually, nothing really amazing with paypal adopting bitcoin, its just attention-grabbing imo against their competitor square. They should at least enable withdrawals and/or enable to pay at checkout pages.

And one will matter, their fees, coz afaik paypal has too high charging fees even the conversion from usd to other currencies, so expect it, nonetheless, welcome to crypto.
psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1604
Merit: 1564

精神分析的爸

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 08:42:41 AM

<snip>

And one will matter, their fees, coz afaik paypal has too high charging fees even the conversion from usd to other currencies, so expect it, nonetheless, welcome to crypto.

^This!

Send 1BTC (say from 1-3 UTXOs): ~1-5 USD fee
Send 15k USD via Paypal: ~550 USD fee

I once received a payment from a customer of around 15k USD via PP, immediately had to spend it at our suppliers shop to buy the items for the customer. Total fees for both transactions was ~1100 USD (though ~half of it was paid by the supplier). If Bitcoin had the fees Paypal has, I would start mining it by tomorrow and be highly profitable at 20c/kWh.

But it's worth mentioning that for that minimal difference in fees, PP "confirms" a tad faster.

AniviaBtc

Activity: 1120
Merit: 272

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 10:38:42 AM

Paypal better have something unique to offer to get ahead of the game in my opinion. Does not matter whether you joined the cryptocurrency train, if you are just another platform that offer the same services, time will come for you eventually. I have my hopes on Paypal that they will do something because as OP said, the race is on. You need to use what you can to get ahead of the game.

At least, they already adopted bitcoin in their platform which is uncommon to most of the popular online payments system in the world. But innovation should be their priority and uniqueness so that they can become more advance compared to other platforms. Because for me, engaging in a cryptocurrency is not new because we all know that adoption of bitcoin is really growing nowadays, although it is slow, at least there is a movement and improvement. We just need to wait for more updates regarding Paypal approaching and engaging into a cryptocurrency industry.

exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 10:38:50 AM

They should at least enable withdrawals and/or enable to pay at checkout pages.

E-commerce and merchant support is coming "early next year." https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2020/10/21/paypal-bitcoin-cryptocurrency-tokens-merchant-fiat-settled-dollar-reuters/

Everything is being rolled out in phases. It's even possible (although probably unlikely) Paypal adds the ability to deposit, transfer, and withdraw coins in the future, like eToro did. When eToro first launched BTC support, they had similar restrictions.

For now there are no fees, at least until 2021.

I also compared their planned fees to what Coinbase charges. Granted, I haven't analyzed the buy/sell spreads at either site, but assuming they are equal then Paypal definitely has Coinbase beat on small purchases (< $150). Between $150-$999 Coinbase looks slightly cheaper, and at $1,000+ they are about equal.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/21/paypal-to-let-you-buy-and-sell-cryptocurrencies-in-the-us/
https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/trading-and-funding/pricing-and-fees/fees

Vishnu.Reang

Activity: 1974
Merit: 453

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2020, 12:43:21 PM

<snip>

^This!

Send 1BTC (say from 1-3 UTXOs): ~1-5 USD fee
Send 15k USD via Paypal: ~550 USD fee

I once received a payment from a customer of around 15k USD via PP, immediately had to spend it at our suppliers shop to buy the items for the customer. Total fees for both transactions was ~1100 USD (though ~half of it was paid by the supplier). If Bitcoin had the fees Paypal has, I would start mining it by tomorrow and be highly profitable at 20c/kWh.

But it's worth mentioning that for that minimal difference in fees, PP "confirms" a tad faster.

The problem is not many of us are fortunate enough to have 1 BTC in our wallets. Less than 1% of the users may have that much. So most of the time, we will be transferring somewhere between $10 and $100. Paying $5 in transaction fee means dishing out 5% to 50% of the total volume as fee. And also, last time I had to wait 4 hours to get a confirmation on my transaction. PayPal is more than a "tad" faster.
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 03:21:27 PM

E-commerce and merchant support is coming "early next year." https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2020/10/21/paypal-bitcoin-cryptocurrency-tokens-merchant-fiat-settled-dollar-reuters/

Everything is being rolled out in phases. It's even possible (although probably unlikely) Paypal adds the ability to deposit, transfer, and withdraw coins in the future, like eToro did. When eToro first launched BTC support, they had similar restrictions.
Good thing, but as of now, let's put them aside as I don't know if their existing/future users will use paypal as a hodl material (as an exchange) since having bitcoin with them with such limited action is rather pointless imo I'd rather use an actual exchange to do the trading.
Cling18

Activity: 1708
Merit: 126

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 03:47:27 PM

The only problem that I encounter with Paypal is that it holds my funds for days just like what happens to my co-workers. However, it's a good thing that Bitcoin is being adopted by a well-known platform which also proves more of its legitimacy. It only proves that Bitcoin could still be adopted no matter what the market situation is.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 06:11:41 PM

The only problem that I encounter with Paypal is that it holds my funds for days just like what happens to my co-workers. However, it's a good thing that Bitcoin is being adopted by a well-known platform which also proves more of its legitimacy. It only proves that Bitcoin could still be adopted no matter what the market situation is.

Probably by now, PayPal has realized that Bitcoin is not its competitor. Rather than being used as a mode of payment, more and more people are using it as a speculative investment asset. And this is the reason why PayPal has allowed Bitcoin in its platform. For Bitcoin, this adoption by PayPal is definitely beneficial. It gives us access to hundreds of millions of new users.
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 10:10:16 PM

Good thing, but as of now, let's put them aside as I don't know if their existing/future users will use paypal as a hodl material (as an exchange) since having bitcoin with them with such limited action is rather pointless imo I'd rather use an actual exchange to do the trading.

Same here.

To me, the interesting part of all this isn't what features Paypal has or doesn't have. What's interesting is to ponder what effect such a massive company could have on overall adoption. They are not only legitimizing cryptocurrency for millions of people who didn't take it seriously before, but they are bringing it to their fingertips. This will likely have a significant effect on price.

And ultimately, I believe a good chunk of those people who are introduced to Bitcoin through Paypal will become real users, and not just paper investors through Paypal.

aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 11:21:52 PM

Same here.

To me, the interesting part of all this isn't what features Paypal has or doesn't have. What's interesting is to ponder what effect such a massive company could have on overall adoption. They are not only legitimizing cryptocurrency for millions of people who didn't take it seriously before, but they are bringing it to their fingertips. This will likely have a significant effect on price.

And ultimately, I believe a good chunk of those people who are introduced to Bitcoin through Paypal will become real users, and not just paper investors through Paypal.

I don't know. I'm not a bitcoin evangelizer but at one point in 2017 when the price was going up and up and up I talked about it around me, and a couple of family members got interested. Clearly they were interested in the speculative value, not what BTC really was. One even started to buy all kinds of altcoins even though I only talked about BTC. In the end he sold everything with a profit and never came back, and the other family member sold at a loss and is probably "vaccinated" against crypto.

To me if you don't have a real wallet (even an online one) with a BTC address and do a few transactions on the chain, you're really not getting closer to crypto, it's like buying a Tesla stock, it doesn't get me any closer to driving a Tesla car ! And that's one thing that is en vogue right now, buying all kinds of speculative assets because central banks are printing fiat.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: