Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:33:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Eagle Hashrate drop  (Read 1075 times)
sakmsb (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 08:54:44 AM

*While in Phoenix miner I noticed that pcap power changes to pcap temp and hashrate drops*

My Gigabyte 3080 Eagle OC drops hashing after mining for a minute or two.

Tried changing risers and power connectors to no avail.

I m on windows 10 with latest Nvidia drivers. I have Silverstone Platinum PSU 1200 W. The hashrate drops on both everything stock and TDP at 80 or 70 or any other value as well.

Please help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2020, 11:20:35 AM

It's only with Phoenix miner?
What about claymore?

There's the problem of popcaps, but if you have newest drivers, and also with reduced TDP, its hard to blame popcaps
Looks like a app problem, I think all miners are not yet optmized to run new nvidia cards, but try claymore for some time and tell us if this problem persists

Your hardware is good, PSU, all system updates...

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
Alexgtr

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 11:38:22 AM

Memory is trottling, it is very hot on 3080, 100+ degres.
sakmsb (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 01:04:54 PM

It's only with Phoenix miner?
What about claymore?

There's the problem of popcaps, but if you have newest drivers, and also with reduced TDP, its hard to blame popcaps
Looks like a app problem, I think all miners are not yet optmized to run new nvidia cards, but try claymore for some time and tell us if this problem persists

Your hardware is good, PSU, all system updates...

Same hashrate drop with claymore as well.

I have not tried other algos yet as I recall KawPow will use more power and definitely cause the temps to rise even more

I guess Alexgtr is right, temps in MSI afterburner shows 50 to 52 degrees Celsius but internal temps seems to be off.
rdluffy
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2020, 02:06:36 PM

I have not tried other algos yet as I recall KawPow will use more power and definitely cause the temps to rise even more

I guess Alexgtr is right, temps in MSI afterburner shows 50 to 52 degrees Celsius but internal temps seems to be off.

Yes, KawPow uses a little more power
I have a card here that is very hot at the memories, it's always on 92 to 96 degrees but the GPU is 55c

But this is easy to find, I suppose you are using MSI afterburner, or another app, just put the fans on manual, and set something like 60 or 70% and see if the card stop to trottling, you can even put 90% just to test
Maybe the fan curve is not enough to keep the card running 100%, and above certain temp the card will reduce power to reduce temp

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
sakmsb (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 03:00:20 PM

Yes, KawPow uses a little more power
I have a card here that is very hot at the memories, it's always on 92 to 96 degrees but the GPU is 55c

But this is easy to find, I suppose you are using MSI afterburner, or another app, just put the fans on manual, and set something like 60 or 70% and see if the card stop to trottling, you can even put 90% just to test
Maybe the fan curve is not enough to keep the card running 100%, and above certain temp the card will reduce power to reduce temp

In MSI afterburner, I have set the fan at 100% manually to test it but same results. The hashrate drops to 70-85 MH/s fluctuating frequently.

Yes the power consumption also drops when hashrate drops along with change of pcap power to pcap temps.

I removed the card from rig frame set it aside and I have just put a table fan at high speed near the card and have cold/fresh air blowing on it. Looks stable for an hour+ now. But I guess this is not the solution. ~97 MH/s now.

I purchased it from a local online retailer, and they do not have any more stock to replace the card it seems.

rdluffy
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2020, 03:08:35 PM

In MSI afterburner, I have set the fan at 100% manually to test it but same results. The hashrate drops to 70-85 MH/s fluctuating frequently.

I removed the card from rig frame set it aside and I have just put a table fan at high speed near the card and have cold/fresh air blowing on it. Looks stable for an hour+ now. But I guess this is not the solution. ~97 MH/s now.

I purchased it from a local online retailer, and they do not have any more stock to replace the card it seems.

It's weird, if the card is hashing normally now you can conclude that is a temperature problem
If you already tested with fans at 100%, another thing that could be are the thermal pads, can you check if thermals are in touch with heat pipe?

Or maybe the position of the card in your rig, is there hot air blowing direct to this card?

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
sakmsb (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 03:21:57 PM

It's weird, if the card is hashing normally now you can conclude that is a temperature problem
If you already tested with fans at 100%, another thing that could be are the thermal pads, can you check if thermals are in touch with heat pipe?

Or maybe the position of the card in your rig, is there hot air blowing direct to this card?

I have never disassembled a GPU, lil afraid to do so. I have been seeing some videos on youtube.

Does GPU also have a thermal paste similar to CPU, If I decide to; can I change the paste and see if it helps?

I had this card in an 8 GPU set up the usual way we set up rigs on a mining frame, spacing between cards is enough though to avoid hot air from the adjacent GPUs to directly blow on this.

Shall I get a GPU cooler fan something like this might help https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XCFB5WP/

Weather wise it is getting cold here in Arabia so I will not run into heating issues until March with this type of table fan set up, but after that.....
rdluffy
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2020, 03:46:05 PM

I have never disassembled a GPU, lil afraid to do so. I have been seeing some videos on youtube.

Does GPU also have a thermal paste similar to CPU, If I decide to; can I change the paste and see if it helps?

I had this card in an 8 GPU set up the usual way we set up rigs on a mining frame, spacing between cards is enough though to avoid hot air from the adjacent GPUs to directly blow on this.

Shall I get a GPU cooler fan something like this might help https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XCFB5WP/

Weather wise it is getting cold here in Arabia so I will not run into heating issues until March with this type of table fan set up, but after that.....

Do not disassembly your card because you'll lose warranty
Wait a little more because more people can help you to find a solution here, it's not normal to need a table fan to keep your card running 100%, and you already reduced the TDP, so the card is not running at full power or above specifications, Nvidia are good to lock the bios so it's hard to mess with the card

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
miner29

Activity: 1262
Merit: 138

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 06:10:04 PM

3080s havent been out long enough to have worn out paste. 

There was a lot written about the capacitors on back side and Gigabyte used the worst so that may be the issue.  It could also be just bad paste from factory.  Thus good advice not to disassemble as you can always warranty the card.

Not all gpus are equal.
jgonzi

Activity: 639
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 25, 2020, 09:43:09 PM

*While in Phoenix miner I noticed that pcap power changes to pcap temp and hashrate drops*

I m on windows 10 with latest Nvidia drivers. I have Silverstone Platinum PSU 1200 W. The hashrate drops on both everything stock and TDP at 80 or 70 or any other value as well.

Please help!

Change the thermal pad for a good ones and the problem is solved. I had that problem too... You can see how it changes. The disipator is good the thermal pad no... I hope you can see the image

https://ibb.co/92fH9ty
safar1980
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1620

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
October 26, 2020, 03:12:35 PM

Please help!

Change the thermal pad for a good ones and the problem is solved. I had that problem too... You can see how it changes. The disipator is good the thermal pad no... I hope you can see the image

And then how to apply under the guarantee?
If you disassemble a video card to replace thermal pads, the manufacturer or seller may refuse to provide warranty service. It works like this in my country. Even if there are no warranty seals on the bolts of the video card (as is usually the case with Gigabytes), the opening marks are visible under the microscope.

rdluffy
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2020, 03:17:28 PM

So the history repeats again, my Gigabyte memory is hot as hell  Cheesy
But I managed to fix with fans at 60%

The worst part is you can't open the card and stay under warranty

In your case, the thermal pads are this bad or they didn't touch the heat pipe?

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
chinh.daongoc

Activity: 64
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 26, 2020, 06:11:54 PM

can you post memory temperature of 3080 when mining ETH? As far as i know, GPU-Z and other popular monitor tool can not read memory temperature of 3080.

Igorlab post a pic showing 104oC under load, but not mining. The name of the software also hidden.
jgonzi

View Profile
October 26, 2020, 10:29:19 PM

can you post memory temperature of 3080 when mining ETH? As far as i know, GPU-Z and other popular monitor tool can not read memory temperature of 3080.

Igorlab post a pic showing 104oC under load, but not mining. The name of the software also hidden.

Complete true... new FE comes with the thermal pad... If you don't do that mod of thermal you will destroy the memory... So what is better... guarantee or destroy card...
chinh.daongoc

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 05:07:58 AM

Complete true... new FE comes with the thermal pad... If you don't do that mod of thermal you will destroy the memory... So what is better... guarantee or destroy card...
Ok maybe the problem of 3080 FE version, but what about AIB like MSI trio, Asus TUF, giga aorus...?
jgonzi

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 07:36:19 AM

Ok maybe the problem of 3080 FE version, but what about AIB like MSI trio, Asus TUF, giga aorus...?

There are other forum with people informing that hashrate goes down... in TUF and MSI too the problem is that we cannot see the memory temp... Igorslab hat a Nvidia Program to see it... but we are not lucky to have it.

You can see you have a memory temp problem if you leave the fans in auto and the fans goes up and up when GPU stills cool. 

In windows if you use GPUZ you should put programs that make the Memory Control Load high... 90-100% miners are perfect. if you don't want to make the thermal mod and you have this problem, there are other solution direct cool to the card or reduce memory Mhz for example-1000Mhz. With that reduce you can also limit the power limit to 180W and you will get a fix 77Mhs... and fans want be at 100%.

We also don't know if the spin fan to 100% on memory control is done in all brands. In gigabyte we know that his BIOS check the memory temps, which is great... what is not great are the quality thermal pads.

If some opened it, he will also see that backplate come with the exact place to put thermal pads of 3mm. So they have that prepared to do it to help to reduce temp but they didn't put them...
For example I have made a stress test in a room of 35C... having 100Mhs+ fans in auto ... the hash rate was completely stable and fans where in auto at 72% and GPU Temp 63C... the memory I don't know but surely not near the 104C Trolling Memory Temp
chinh.daongoc

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 07:53:07 AM

There are other forum with people informing that hashrate goes down... in TUF and MSI too the problem is that we cannot see the memory temp... Igorslab hat a Nvidia Program to see it... but we are not lucky to have it.

You can see you have a memory temp problem if you leave the fans in auto and the fans goes up and up when GPU stills cool. 

In windows if you use GPUZ you should put programs that make the Memory Control Load high... 90-100% miners are perfect. if you don't want to make the thermal mod and you have this problem, there are other solution direct cool to the card or reduce memory Mhz for example-1000Mhz. With that reduce you can also limit the power limit to 180W and you will get a fix 77Mhs... and fans want be at 100%.

We also don't know if the spin fan to 100% on memory control is done in all brands. In gigabyte we know that his BIOS check the memory temps, which is great... what is not great are the quality thermal pads.

If some opened it, he will also see that backplate come with the exact place to put thermal pads of 3mm. So they have that prepared to do it to help to reduce temp but they didn't put them...
For example I have made a stress test in a room of 35C... having 100Mhs+ fans in auto ... the hash rate was completely stable and fans where in auto at 72% and GPU Temp 63C... the memory I don't know but surely not near the 104C Trolling Memory Temp

Thank you for your info. Can you share the link that other forums discussing about 3080 hashrate drop? I want to read more about this issue.
jgonzi

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 08:34:09 AM

Thank you for your info. Can you share the link that other forums discussing about 3080 hashrate drop? I want to read more about this issue.

https://miningclub.info/threads/vse-problemy-rtx-3080.70379/
https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-copies-the-pad-mod-from-igorslab-for-the-geforce-rtx-3080-fe-to-mimic-the-hotspot-for-the-gddr6x/

If you read the original post of the thermal pad mod on the FE, you will read that miners had apologies about that problem with the FE too.. You can also find some people problems in Reddit.com... what it is true that for gaming you Will not have problems… the games don't make so high use of memory control
sakmsb (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 09:14:18 PM

So this table fan set up is working stable. For a few hours during the day when temps are high outside the pcap changes to pcap temp and during late evening or so it reverts to pcap power.

The good this is the hashrate drops only ~2 MH/s now as compared to 20+ previously.

I am planning on ordering this Graphics Card Cooler, ~2000 RPM which should be hopefully good enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XCFB5WP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A235LT0EDLFSAR&psc=1
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: