Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:01:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New AMD GPU 6000 series - confirmed! Good for mining?  (Read 790 times)
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 05:09:56 PM

it seems AMD will be the one needing an ETH pill this time with this "infinity cache" thing hehe

AMD has been working on a blockchain gpu, not sure when they will release it, 6xxx series are for gaming, the positive aspect of it is that miners will not purchase the 6xxx for mining if it sucks, so nvidia will not complain it, they will sell all 3080 they can produce eheh if of course eth breaks 2000 usd or more next year, if eth stays at this price then gameover ehhe, only idiots will buy gpus for mining.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 05:23:30 PM

it seems AMD will be the one needing an ETH pill this time with this "infinity cache" thing hehe

AMD has been working on a blockchain gpu, not sure when they will release it, 6xxx series are for gaming, the positive aspect of it is that miners will not purchase the 6xxx for mining if it sucks, so nvidia will not complain it, they will sell all 3080 they can produce eheh if of course eth breaks 2000 usd or more next year, if eth stays at this price then gameover ehhe, only idiots will buy gpus for mining.

so far these blockchain gpus have lesser warranty periods and lesser resale value, it is still those "quality" gaming cards that delivers the $$$$...we may see a trend change but i doubt it since AMD biggest market for gpu is gaming (also with NVIDIA) so their best RnD and spending for quality (competing with NVIDIA) will be on those gaming GPU.

imagine AMD saying to NVIDIA, hey we got mining cards....NVIDIA: who cares? hehehe
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2116
Merit: 1397

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 05:25:40 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2020, 05:39:49 PM by jstefanop

Maybe if some mining software can take advantage of infinity cache we'll see some good numbers.

its seems 6800 xt is the sweetspot at good price, 6900xt no sense to buy only 10% more compute with same spec

with new tech hope miner dev can use the advantage of this, surely we wont see anytime soon

need to grab 6800 xt for testing and gaming for moment waiting news from mining progress come up

you pointed out only about performance, but if 6900xt is more efficient it can be worth it... like 1080 vs 1080ti, sometimes the top of the line can be a sweet spot too.

anyway this (if) AMD and NVIDIA new generation of GPUs are around x2 of 5700xt in hashrate performance...this will be good for mining density

It might be an interesting boost if you can load 128mb/4000mb in that cache youll hit it for 3% of memory accesses, so 3% will be mined at an effective hash rate of ~420MH/s (assuming a 60GB/s L3 cache speed per core), while the rest 97% will be at 60/MHs at the 512GB/s stock GDDR6 speeds. This translates to an effective hash rate of ~71 MH so timings + mem OC you might hit 80+ once this thing is fully optimized.

If its really 50% more efficient and can achieve 80MH @ the $580 price point then this could be an alternative to the 5700, but not by a large margin. Sucks they didn't go to the 384 bit bus, they would easily hit 110 MH+.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 06:00:51 PM

If its really 50% more efficient and can achieve 80MH @ the $580 price point then this could be an alternative to the 5700, but not by a large margin. Sucks they didn't go to the 384 bit bus, they would easily hit 110 MH+.

The gaming performance was there, I guess amd wants to be competitive, not beat nvidia for now, like when they released zen2, want to be competitive x intel then zen3 beat intel,  yeah if nvidia gpus were far better than what they are at moment then yeah, they would go with a larger bus memory. So using infinity cache + 256 bit does already miracles, imagine on a 384 bit gddr6x, they did not need to go higher than 256 bit at this time. I guess nvidia is afraid at this time, cause they know amd can if they want, push it further with better memory like gddrx6, maybe 6990 320/384 bit x 3080ti 384 bit?. The question is if nvidia will cannibalize its 3090 cause the way things are, a 3080 ti at this time needs to have more memory than 3080, 16 or 20gb and be better than a 3090 and at same time cheaper. I remember that the 1080ti was better than the 1xxx series titan x 16nm launched in 2016. So this is a possibility, 1080ti came on 2017 with a new titan.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 30, 2020, 02:53:29 PM

Maybe if some mining software can take advantage of infinity cache we'll see some good numbers.

yeah 6800 xt is the best buck, 6900xt its weird at the price, and 6800 a bit expensive

with new memory tech infinity cache hope their can beat nvidia performance in mining

amd always favor to miner maybe this is answer why they dont use gddrx series

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
October 30, 2020, 07:44:48 PM

They use GD6, which is only half bandwidth compare to GD6X on 3080 3090. Maybe "Infinity cache" could helps in games, but not very useful for memory hunger application like mining ETH.

It's not clear if infinity cache will help compute performance or just CPU to GPU bandwidth which isn't a concern
for mining.

Cache will be interesting for RandomX...this might rival top CPUs for randomx...128mb can feed 64 cores so even if each core can compute less than a CPU you have 4x cores per GPU.

For ETH it comes down to which GDDR6 chips they are using...seems like they are using a 256bit bus so won't be much faster than a 5700 if they are same chips. Bandwidth is about 10% more than 5700 stock settings, so with timings and OC might be able to hit 65-70, and with higher core count id say 70+ is doable at the same power of a 5700.

I bet 5700s will come down to under $300 once these launch though so they will still be better in terms of $/hash.

I doubt it will perform like a mid range CPU. Random-X is not only about cache, it's designed to perform on CPUs and nothing else.
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2116
Merit: 1397

View Profile
November 01, 2020, 11:19:29 PM

They use GD6, which is only half bandwidth compare to GD6X on 3080 3090. Maybe "Infinity cache" could helps in games, but not very useful for memory hunger application like mining ETH.

It's not clear if infinity cache will help compute performance or just CPU to GPU bandwidth which isn't a concern
for mining.

Cache will be interesting for RandomX...this might rival top CPUs for randomx...128mb can feed 64 cores so even if each core can compute less than a CPU you have 4x cores per GPU.

For ETH it comes down to which GDDR6 chips they are using...seems like they are using a 256bit bus so won't be much faster than a 5700 if they are same chips. Bandwidth is about 10% more than 5700 stock settings, so with timings and OC might be able to hit 65-70, and with higher core count id say 70+ is doable at the same power of a 5700.

I bet 5700s will come down to under $300 once these launch though so they will still be better in terms of $/hash.

I doubt it will perform like a mid range CPU. Random-X is not only about cache, it's designed to perform on CPUs and nothing else.

Actually it is pretty much all about the cache, GPUs have had very little cache per core compared to CPUs, and thats why randomX was so good for just CPU mining, and AMD just upended that. There is also no RAM bottle neck like there is with CPUs on RandomX since GPUs have way more RAM bandwidth than CPUs. Sure the cores won't be as optimized for IPC as CPUs, but the core count + RAM speed should make up for it if someone designs an optimized randomx kernel for these. This will be the first time any GPU can load the whole scratchpad on the L3 cache like a CPU.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
November 02, 2020, 02:23:01 AM

for mining.

Actually it is pretty much all about the cache, GPUs have had very little cache per core compared to CPUs, and thats why randomX was so good for just CPU mining, and AMD just upended that. There is also no RAM bottle neck like there is with CPUs on RandomX since GPUs have way more RAM bandwidth than CPUs. Sure the cores won't be as optimized for IPC as CPUs, but the core count + RAM speed should make up for it if someone designs an optimized randomx kernel for these. This will be the first time any GPU can load the whole scratchpad on the L3 cache like a CPU.

GPU cores are less capable and the clocks are about half the freq of a CPU.
GDDR is optimized for sequential access, it doesn't perform as well as DDR on random access.
I presume the infinity cache is also optimized for sequential access.
That could wipe out any numerical advantage in thread count and cache size.

I believe the real benefit of the infinity cache is increasing the throughput for streaming data which
would likley be read only once from the cache and discarded without being written to memory.

ZeeeN

Activity: 297
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 02, 2020, 08:31:09 AM

amd say  infinity cache only work when use cpu zen3 5xxx

and i think it design for gaming dont know it work for mining yet
Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
November 02, 2020, 11:27:13 AM

for mining.

Random-X is designed to use instructions that are hardcoded in CPUs, that's why a Radeon VII is 5 times slower than a Ryzen 3600X with more power draw.
gagux123

Activity: 1554
Merit: 814

The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>POR

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2020, 11:32:36 AM

Could anyone tell me, at least some prediction of approximately how many hashrates the 6000 series will be able to mine ethereum? over 100MH/s? maybe 120MH/s?

...AoBT...
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████
The Alliance
of Bitcointalk
Translators
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███
████████████████▄
▄██
███████████████████▄
▄█
██████████████████████▄
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
███████████████▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
..JOIN US..

▄███████████████████████▄
█████▀▀██████▀▀██▀▀▀▀████
████████▀██████████
████▄▄▄▄▀███████
███████▄▀▄█▀▀███████
████████████▀████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
█████

██████████
..HIRE US..
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1313

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2020, 11:42:42 AM

Could anyone tell me, at least some prediction of approximately how many hashrates the 6000 series will be able to mine ethereum? over 100MH/s? maybe 120MH/s?

Hi gagux123, unfortunately there's no predction that we can rely at the moment
Probably will be very good, because last generation of GPUs from AMD were good, RX 5600xt and 5700xt improve a lot of of previous generations, if RX 5700XT hashes 54Mhs using 140w power, we can expect a better hashrate with power save improvement
I expect something like 75Mhs consuming 120w or 80Mhs consuming 150w, but this is just my opinion, some people are expecting 100Mhs + because this is what Nvidia 3080 do, but consuming 250w or more

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
gagux123

Activity: 1554
Merit: 814

The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>POR

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2020, 05:51:25 PM

Hi gagux123, unfortunately there's no predction that we can rely at the moment
Probably will be very good, because last generation of GPUs from AMD were good, RX 5600xt and 5700xt improve a lot of of previous generations, if RX 5700XT hashes 54Mhs using 140w power, we can expect a better hashrate with power save improvement
I expect something like 75Mhs consuming 120w or 80Mhs consuming 150w, but this is just my opinion, some people are expecting 100Mhs + because this is what Nvidia 3080 do, but consuming 250w or more
Thank you for this information, rdluffy!
Yes, sure, the GPU's RX 5600xt and 5700xt already have a good hashrate, I hope for the future the 6000 series will be similar to the previous generation, but with a bigger hashrate and consuming less than Nvidia's GPU's!

...AoBT...
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████