Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:40:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for Zcash Miners...  (Read 170 times)
GarySeven (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 17

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 03:11:47 AM

With the ZEC halving coming up in 20ish days I'll be curious to see what happens in the space.

Do you think that ASIC farms will scale back or shut down due to the reduction in blockchain reward?

If they switch pools and mine other Equihash algo coins the difficulty will skyrocket and the same result will happen... decreased profits.

Any thoughts?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 04:53:06 AM

With the ZEC halving coming up in 20ish days I'll be curious to see what happens in the space.

Do you think that ASIC farms will scale back or shut down due to the reduction in blockchain reward?

If they switch pools and mine other Equihash algo coins the difficulty will skyrocket and the same result will happen... decreased profits.

Any thoughts?

Most likely like with any halving in the past, it has little impact after the halving. Most miners are aware of the halving way ahead of time and they are prepared. Look at many of the past BTC halvings, sometimes the difficulty went down one retarget period and then climbed to new highs a few weeks after. Same with ETH and their reward halvings that they had.

Some miners might switch pools however eventually the profitability will be equal to all the equihash coins, pretty much why the profitability is nearly identical to ETH or ETC. I might be wrong and there could be a reduction but it won't be huge like 50% of the network. In many countries they got very cheap power and can keep ASICs going for longer.

GarySeven (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2020, 02:48:34 AM

That makes sense. I think I'll stock up on a few more A9's when the price bottoms.

Hard to believe I paid $4K for my first ones and now I can pick them up for $400. But back then each miner was generating $50 a day in profits...
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 30, 2020, 02:57:47 AM

That makes sense. I think I'll stock up on a few more A9's when the price bottoms.

Hard to believe I paid $4K for my first ones and now I can pick them up for $400. But back then each miner was generating $50 a day in profits...

50 usd a day and how long it lasted?

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
GarySeven (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2020, 04:16:09 AM

50 usd a day and how long it lasted?

Oh IIRC maybe a couple of months or so and then as more ASIC's came on line and the price of crypto's across the board dumped, my profits got smaller and smaller. Now I average $2.00 a day per unit after electricity and I can only afford to run them in colder weather.
GarySeven (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 02:19:42 AM

Its kinda funny that no one in here ever wants to talk about ZEC. I've noticed that since I've been a member.

Zcash mining with ASIC's is like the kid at school who smelled funny.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 04:02:45 AM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

Its kinda funny that no one in here ever wants to talk about ZEC. I've noticed that since I've been a member.

Zcash mining with ASIC's is like the kid at school who smelled funny.

Generally most of the topics in the mining section are geared towards mining with GPUs instead of ASICs. There was lots of discussion about ZEC back when you could mine it with GPUs however when ASICs came out it seems to have died down. There really isnt much to discuss when it comes to ASIC mining.

Basically all you do is plug in the cables, set up the pool and you are all done. You can barely even overclock most ASICs, so they are pretty much plug and play. GPUs on the other hand are different because there is lots of undervolting, overclocking, memory strapping, updating bios, different GPUs, different USB risers, etc. Hence the topics for GPUs are more involved rather than ASICs.

Baldezh2016

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 08:25:25 AM

I think that old type Z9 ASICs will turn into rubbish.
luxortech

Activity: 23
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2020, 04:57:52 AM

Most of the Z9s will turn off after the ZEC and ZEN halving. that drop in hashrate should slightly offset the block reward halving...  but still going to be painful
GarySeven (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2020, 05:19:30 AM

Most of the Z9s will turn off after the ZEC and ZEN halving. that drop in hashrate should slightly offset the block reward halving...  but still going to be painful

As indeed it was and is. Thankfully my rigs heat my shop otherwise I would be out of business. When the weather heats up I'll sell off the hash boards, controllers, PSU's and scrap the aluminum. A sad end to a beautiful dream...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: