Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:00:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin isn't money and that isn't bad!  (Read 662 times)
BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2020, 05:59:26 AM
Last edit: November 03, 2020, 02:26:20 PM by BayAreaCoins
Merited by seoincorporation (1)

The original article: https://freebitcoins.com/blog/bitcoin-is-not-money-that-isnt-bad-here-is-why/

The idea that Bitcoin is money sounds almost as silly as someone trying to push their “pokemon cards” as cash… No, thank you. Pokemon is really awesome for a group of people (If you want to trade with Logan Paul), but the idea of you walking into your local Walmart with your “$200,000” pokemon fucktard set and walk out with groceries is beyond silly.

Bitcoin is the same way at the moment. We love Bitcoin, but Bitcoin is NOT money.

Before we launched this latest version of FreeBitcoins. I set out to prove that to myself. I live in a small Arkansas town with a handful of pawnshops that are happy to charge you 20% interest a month for your dead grandaddy’s gun *PUKE*. I called every pawn shop in town asking them if I could pawn or sell a Bitcoin for any price and guess what they all said?

No! Well, fuck!

How about the banks. I think you all know the answer to that. I called up my bank’s foreign currency person and got laughed at; I was told about a great deal for exchanging Candian Dollars… It would cost me $80 USD for basically any amount. I thought that was pretty sweet. I could pick up $1,000,000 CAD from my little Arkansas bank with basically a 5-minute phone call and $80 USD. Noted. (Why would I want CAD in the Middle of Arkansas? No one steals it lol, and it has value elsewhere backed by a country. It’s $160 for a round trip insurance on cash, and this cash is plastic! I feel better putting plastic in a hole. [Note: I don’t have any CAD in any holes anywhere!] Dollars are like cell phones; they are designed to break these days, and you’ll need a new one! At one point, paper money was extremely frowned upon; Coins had value, Paper was a scam.)

Well, how about the Grocery stores? I called Walmart and Kroger. The employees politely explained that they didn’t accept Bitcoin, and they had no time frame for doing so.

Then I asked myself if Bitcoin is money… is now the time I start stealing bread ethically or what?

Things I can’t do with Bitcoin: Pay rent, pay my internet, pay my electric, pay my grocery bill, pay my pizza tab, pay my fine for my speeding ticket, pay for medical marijuana anywhere in Arkansas legally, and the list goes on and on.

Things I can do: Buy illegal medical marijuana [lol] on the internet from sketchy off-duty agents. (No fucking thank you! 😉 ) – I can also play games and buy altcoins that I think are cool. I could of course hodl, but that is horribly boring. I’m sure I can find other things to do with Bitcoin, but that seems like a Blog for a different day. I’m not trying to dis the things I can do with Bitcoin because it’s fun, but…

Bitcoin is not money.

Why is Bitcoin important to me then? Just because Bitcoin isn’t money where I am because we have “real money” that doesn’t mean it can’t be money and accepted locally easily in somewhere that needs something more reliable than cell phone minutes! That’s what I’ve always seen in Bitcoin, and that’s why we built this website… we want to do business with Africa / South Africa and any other country that needs stability in their economic markets with a side of neutrality while you get your shit together. I firmly believe that isn’t America.

America and the Department of Justice need to chill the fuck out.

Respectfully. I’m just saying they need to focus their efforts on their own Dollars because the chance of a terrorist renting Flight Lessons with Bitcoin is very unlikely compared to the subject using the local currency. America needs to focus on a strong dollar and that's our own dollars (USD). Not some imaginary “cryptocurrency” that you can’t even wipe your butt with (wiping your butt arguably may be more valuable than we think!) When the imaginary cryptocurrencies are involved with USD, rake them in with BSA and all the other “fun” that comes with playing with money in 2020.

I’m not saying to let BitMex use something that mimics USD… go bust BitMex’s ass and go bust Tethers ass. They are essentially using USD and that should subject them to a ton of Bullshit because USD arguably has value due to these regulations. If Bitmex and others are going to get rich off that, they need to play ball, but for Websites like FreeBitcoins.com, we strongly believe Bitcoin alone is not money.

Webster’s dictionary says:

something generally accepted as a medium of exchange, a measure of value, or a means of payment: such as

a: officially coined or stamped metal currency
newly minted money
b: MONEY OF ACCOUNT
c: PAPER MONEY

I do not believe there is a city in the world that has Bitcoin as generally accepted yet.  Perhaps a cruise ship, but I’ll believe that when I see it… (I hope the best for them!)

There is absolutely a chance of Bitcoin being generally accepted in the future, but we are not there yet and I think that’s what still makes Bitcoin a good investment and probably indicates people haven’t “missed the boat yet”. I see Bitcoin at this point as Factitious Intellectual Property rather than money.

Thankfully, we aren’t the only ones that see Bitcoin as not money.

Buy more Bitcoin if you think it’s going global/local because we aren’t there yet fellas. <3 🙂

Thanks for reading and now… come trade some Altcoins on XChange for free using our Faucet or just Swap 100 Dogecoin and start trading today!

We also send free stickers with free shipping to anyone that asks. https://freebitcoins.com/stickers/

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 06:43:23 AM

Things I can't do with Bitcoin: Pay rent, pay my internet, pay my electric, pay my grocery bill, pay my pizza tab, pay my fine for my speeding ticket, pay for medical marijuana anywhere in Arkansas legally, and the list goes on and on.

Really depends on where you stay! In Arkansas, you really can't, but in Japan, you really can! You can even get your salaries in bitcoin (if you want)! So what you can't or what you can in Arkansas, doesn't really tell us what bitcoin can or can't! You may be in a wrong place!

Also don't you think you are asking a lot from a kid who is just 11 years old? Let him get adult and then we talk!

Bitcoin has just started maturing. We are seeing great interest coming from corporates around the world. Some have gone ahead and started keeping a minor percentage of the their cash reserve in bitcoin. The entire market is slowly maturing despite all odds it is facing from the regulatory agencies worldwide. So no one has the right to decide that bitcoin not a money by just its acceptability at grocery stores! Smiley

Charles-Tim
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 4849

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 06:49:16 AM

I hope this will let you know how bitcoin is truly a money, even if it has not gone mainstream. Probably you are misinterpreting fiat definition to money definition. Are all the stores you mentioned not accepting bitcoin, are they accepting gold, is gold not money. Anything the have intrinsic value and can be spent is called money, as I can sell my gold, I can also sell bitcoin.

What money is
Many people do not know what money is, like I ones thought money is the first which are acceptable as a means of payment in individual countries, but this is a misconception. Money is anything that has intrinsic value and that can be spent. Good examples of money are bitcoin, other cryptocurrencies  (altcoins), gold and fiats. Among them all, is a money called bitcoin, created in 2009 and has now being greatly accepted and adopted in the world due to its decentralized nature.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/bitcoin-laptop-wallet-virtual-currency-gold-1043355598

Introduction
Bitcoin, being the first and the most successful cryptocurrency, has being well adopted in many countries of the world which has reflected through its increasing marketcap and price that also proved it to be a well known deflationary currency. Bitcoin has been increasingly and successfully adopted and proven to not be a ponzi or regulated in any way by any centralized authority, everything about bitcoin is open source and available to the public to the extent bitcoin community are even regarded as the founder of bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto. Although, officially, Satoshi Nakamoto is the creator of bitcoin in 2009.

What money is
Many people do not know what money is, like I ones thought money is the first which are acceptable as a means of payment in individual countries, but this is a misconception. Money is anything that has intrinsic value and that can be spent. Good examples of money are bitcoin, other cryptocurrencies  (altcoins), gold and fiats. Among them all, is a money called bitcoin, created in 2009 and has now being greatly accepted and adopted in the world due to its decentralized nature.

Money vulnerable to theft and depreciation until the onset of bitcoin
Before the onset of bitcoin, all types of money were either vulnerable to theft or depreciation, there was a time in the past when there was money but no bank, people will still think of a way to protect their money, but at the time, money were vulnerable to theft. So, later comes bank, to help individual to keep their money, fiats was adopted and was accepted by all countries of the world, and money centralized regulation evolved. Now, fiats are manipulated, the manipulations are from governments because fiats are centrally regulated and due to this, money owned by individuals are manipulated and making fiats to be a depreciative asset. 
Money like gold that are physical are more vulnerable to theft while fiats kept in banks are more vulnerable to governmental manipulations. All these do not make money characteristics to be completely fulfilled until the onset of bitcoin that created indirect bridge known as blockchain between fiats and cryptocurrencies. Now, people can hold bitcoin in a way to do away with theft and central (governmental) manipulations.

Fiat inflation vulnerability
Although, the central bodies (governments) may not be blamed at times for the reason they are manipulating the fiats, especially while devaluating it during inflation, and can be blamed when their is excess fiat creation and introduced into circulation. Fiats are manipulated/devalued for the benefit of the country but making citizens of the country to lose and make their worth depreciating. That is why fiats needs alternative, a kind of money that will be easy to spend like fiats and yet not vulnerable to governmental manipulations, bitcoin created the bridge to that part.

There are many strong fiats, while some are weak and more volatile, a good example of strong fiat currency is dollar, and can be used as a good example of bitcoin-to-fiat price trend comparison. For the past decade, bitcoin hodlers have more increase of 20% in bitcoin price not actually as a result of bitcoin instrinsic price increase, but due to dollar that is not immune to devaluation and gradaully depreciating over the past years.

This was taken when bitcoin was at a price slightly above $10800 in accordance to a crypto news.
A decade ago bitcoin price gain
Limited supply + marketcap = 80% in bitcoin price
USD deprecuation = 20%
(Limited supply + marketcap) + USD deprecuation = 100% butcoin price trend.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/fiat-inflation-has-cost-bitcoin-hodlers-20-over-the-past-decade/amp

If you check some other countries like African, where fiats are more vulnerable to depreciation, these would be the worst cases. This is one of the major reasons the need for bitcoin especially. Normally, fiats are depreciating assets by design, while physical money can still be vulnerable to theft, but with expert knowledge about bitcoin, bitcoin is not vulnerable to theft, and also not vulnerable to governmental regulations. Bitcoin has limited supply of 21 million, and this makes it a deflationary currency, the more people adopt it, the more people make use of it and the more it is getting stronger, and also increasing in marketcap and price. Although, the price of bitcoin may seem decreasing at times, but later, the price will increase unlike fiats that are constantly depreciating.

Centralized (governmental) bodies compromising bitcoin and crypto in general.
Nowadays, governments have now being trying to make bitcoin so centralized, many people are now using bitcoin do not even know what private key or seed phrase is and depending on third party while not knowing the third party are actually third party due to how fiats are working, they thought bitcoin and other crypto works that way, therefore not even knowing about privacy. These are all wrong because bitcoin is a privacy currency, people can hold it without depending on any third party which is the best way to go while dealing with bitcoin with the current settings, some people even knowing about this but because of trading flexibility, they still keep their bitcoin and other crypto using centralized party services, which makes them not to be the owner of the coin on blockchian while the third party are not safe and secure.

People do not need to keep bitcoin with third party, you can keep it yourself without anyone knowing, all you need to do it to make use of noncustodial wallets, generate your seed phrase and/or private key. Storing the seedphrase and/or the private key in a safe place that is safe from thieves and damages. If the seed phrase and/or private key is compromised, that means all your funds are lost.

Some approaches towards seed phrase/private keys protection
Bitcoin is digitally created, users should be digitally conscious, while privacy, security and safety should be maintained. Malicious actors are also trying their best to steal bitcoin from people having it. But, there are many approches to avoid hackers from stealing bitcoin, few of this is discussed below.

1. Avoiding custodial services
There are different custodial services, although they have helped in bitcoin adoption, but still must be avoided, they make use of hot wallets to hold customers assets, while hot wallets are prone to hackers activities, and they are targeted by hackers because the custodial party keeps thousands to millions of customers assets. Most custodial services are often hacked and many have resulted to lost of users funds and never recovered.

2. Avoid using hot wallets for high savings
Although, hot wallet can be good for saving low amount of bitcoin, while experienced users can still avoid hackers by avoiding malware on the device used, but for saving high amount of bitcoin, cold wallets are best, and for ease of use and for frequent transactions, hardware wallet is good as a type of cold wallet.

3. Use of Shamir's secret sharing to protect seedphrase/private key
Seedphrase or any other sensitive information like private key can be protected by the use of shamir's secret sharing, in a way the the seed phrase is converted into secrets, and the secrets are divided into parts for high protection.

4. The use of multisignature wallet
Multisig wallets are wallets that can be regarded as M of N wallet, in which the wallet can be generated for N users having their own private keys while M users among the N users will be able to sign transactions. This makes it difficult for hackers to penetrate, even if one private key is compromised. It can also help in a way another wallet can be created and the bitcoin in the previous wallet is sent to new wallet if any of the M or N users lost his/her private key, or if anything like malicious activity is suspected.

There are still many other approaches, like having more than one wallet. But  the approaches to be used should not be too tedious in a way wallet owner will not be able to recover back his/her wallet during wallet lost.

Conclusion
Bitcoin is money, the first successful decentralized digital currency, which was created as an alternative to centralized fiats and also altenative to money that are vulnerable to physical thefts, thereby, fulfilling what early days money can not fulfill.

I have been reading about the differences between money and currencies, even I have not seen anyone referring bitcoin as money but only as currency. I read about the difference on many site. Check the quotes below:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_money
Money may take a physical form as in coins and notes, or may exist as a written or electronic account. It may have intrinsic value (commodity money), be legally exchangeable for something with intrinsic value (representative money), or only have nominal value (fiat money).

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-currency-and-money
Gold Silver explains that the most significant difference between money and currency is that currency does not have consistent value. Currency is used as a physical representation of value that changes over time and varies from one country to the next. According to the Gold Silver website, gold and silver are the only items that have served as money and represented fixed value throughout human history.

https://quickonomics.com/different-types-of-money/
Commodity money is the simplest and, most likely, the oldest type of money. It builds on scarce natural resources that act as a medium of exchange, store of value, and unit of account. Commodity money is closely related to (and originates from) a barter system, where goods and services are directly exchanged for other goods and services. Commodity money facilitates this process because it acts as a generally accepted medium of exchange. The critical thing to note about commodity money is that its value is defined by the intrinsic value of the commodity itself. In other words, the commodity itself becomes money. Examples of commodity money include gold coins, beads, shells, spices, etc.

https://medium.com/@goldma/currency-vs-money-did-you-know-theres-a-difference-f344aa496867
The one major difference between currency and money that many are not conscious of, is the store of value. Currency is not a store of value, in fact, it can even go to zero because of extreme circumstances. It is also volatile because it has no intrinsic value. Money, on the other hand, is a store of value. Gold (which is money) has always been a consistent store of value. Even when the world financial markets become unpredictable, investors turn to gold because it is less risky and more secure.

From all quoted links above, it is evident that bitcoin is actually money, I still have other links that proved this but did not included it because I want this topic to be easily readable.

Gold, silver and and the likes are money which has been existing and have intrinsic value. Like I have mentioned, money can not be seen, only currencies can be seen and the intrinsic value of gold is its value in the world that is influenced by its demands and its price.

What about bitcoin? I will like you opinion on this but as for me, bitcoin itself is completely money because it is also a safe haven like gold, currencies can be seen physically but what makes the currencies money is the value they possess, this makes me conclude that bitcoin is money, bitcoin have such value and a safe haven people turned during economy inflation.

Money are not subjected to governmental manipulations but currencies do, the price of bitcoin is not regulated by any central body or the governments it is regulated by people that buy and sell it in the world and this makes it to have value like gold and the likes by having the same value all over the world not from country to country. So, bitcoin is money and will be referred to as money during its races to recognition.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5284117.msg55442126#msg55442126
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5264880.msg54879897#msg54879897

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 07:23:44 AM

Things I can't do with Bitcoin: Pay rent, pay my internet, pay my electric, pay my grocery bill, pay my pizza tab, pay my fine for my speeding ticket, pay for medical marijuana anywhere in Arkansas legally, and the list goes on and on.

Really depends on where you stay! In Arkansas, you really can't, but in Japan, you really can! You can even get your salaries in bitcoin (if you want)! So what you can't or what you can in Arkansas, doesn't really tell us what bitcoin can or can't! You may be in a wrong place!

Also don't you think you are asking a lot from a kid who is just 11 years old? Let him get adult and then we talk!

It depends on where you stay and the understanding about bitcoin. Governments state it something similar to stocks and can't be used as an legal tender. When something is allowed to be used in trading, it indirectly show the value it has got. Very few countries at present have given the legal support to use bitcoin. In a short period of eleven years without any form of advertising and oppositions from different law suit it has survived and standing high.

As of now each and everything with bitcoin is possible. For the same if we look for the legality it won't happen in the short. But, there are people who have been using only bitcoin for each and everything. This is quite difficult, but people are making themselves so attached.
Wexnident

Activity: 2520
Merit: 665

I don't take loans, ask for sig if I ever do.

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 07:29:14 AM

Well, it isn't that odd or weird for most countries to not accept payments using Bitcoin, heck I'd even say that they'd actually ask from what kind of arcade store did Bitcoin come from. Comparing it with currencies that have been around for so long seems stupid, and honestly, owning Bitcoin doesn't really mean that you need to use it heck, owners of Bitcoin themselves should know that paying with Bitcoin is only at the minority right now, so anyone aiming to use it as such should think more than twice before trying it out. I've experienced buying with BTC, though those were quite select situations, and that was like a drop from the number of payments I make for the past few months.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Ngadnanahim

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 09:20:44 AM

Bitcoin money changer
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2020, 09:29:40 AM

I think you are confusing money and currency.

Bitcoin has an intrinsic value, and it is the only crypto that is able to claim this. I have justified this in several threads here.  I don't believe that Bitcoin is a currency, but it is a medium of exchange. and because of its intrinsic value, then it is money by most definitions.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
DarkDays
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1189

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 09:39:05 AM

Why wold you want money when money is all but an illusion  Huh

Money is worth 'something' because we agree that it has some value, and this can vary with inflation. A great example of how the value of money diminishes is the idea of 'time value of money'.

On the other hand, it is best to have ASSETS. BTC is an asset not money and assets bring you money for little effort. It is assets you want to be putting aside every year and not money as saving. As unlike money which depreciates over time, assets tend to grow in value over time.
Smartprofit
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1787

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2020, 01:20:01 PM

Why wold you want money when money is all but an illusion  Huh

Money is worth 'something' because we agree that it has some value, and this can vary with inflation. A great example of how the value of money diminishes is the idea of 'time value of money'.

On the other hand, it is best to have ASSETS. BTC is an asset not money and assets bring you money for little effort. It is assets you want to be putting aside every year and not money as saving. As unlike money which depreciates over time, assets tend to grow in value over time.

Interesting idea☺.  Bitcoin is not money.  Bitcoin is digital diamonds. 

Diamonds are mined in mines.  Bitcoins are mined by miners.

Diamonds are expensive.  Bitcoins are expensive too. 

Diamonds are luxury goods.  Aristocrats wear diamond jewelry.  Bitcoin has an open blockchain.  This is also a status property (XXI century).

Diamonds can be easily transported across the border (if there is a war or revolution in the country).  Bitcoins are used for cross-border payments. 

Diamonds are inherited.  Bitcoin too. 

Such an analogy☺

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
GeorgeJohn

Activity: 1442
Merit: 658

Bitcoin is achievement

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 01:36:35 PM

See, from my views i noticed that bitcoin is money and money is bitcoin because from the looks of transactions like the process of purchasing bitcoin, I found out that it's money people use it to purchase btc and during all the processes of transactions via bitcoin both investment and other's, bitcoin return as a means of money in larger form or in a smaller form, so therefore since btc can purchase everything money can purchased, it's obvious that btc is money.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Reosta_

Activity: 994
Merit: 20

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 04:41:29 PM

Actually, Bitcoin is money. There are too many people who think it should have a system like fiat to call it as money. But it doesn't work like that. The meaning of money in short is  "a medium of exchange". So, a currency that is a medium of exchange can be accepted as money. 

Alamin1444

Activity: 341
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 05:07:36 PM

Yes Bitcoin is not money but It's more then Money now, if Bitcoin work like money then it’s worthless and we Don't wanna see it.Satoshi Nakamoto Create Bitcoin with a purpose that it Not work like money & we could hide our Identity and untraceable Transaction. So BTC never work like  money if it’s then there is no mean to use it.
i Hope in future BTC per Satoshi as a Dollars,
I mean per satoshi mean 1$ Equal & That Day not far way!
Hope You guyes also waiting for that day.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2145

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 07:36:57 PM

The idea that Bitcoin is money sounds almost as silly as someone trying to push their “pokemon cards” as cash

Pokemon cards have utility - you can play with them. Bitcoin's only utility is ability to send it to other people. Bitcoin has no uses aside from being money, if we of course ignore some rare attempts to embed some data in its blockchain, or the coming smart contracts.

Just because it's no a popular form of money doesn't disqualify it from being money. And people shouldn't underestimate Bitcoin's liquidity, if in 10-15 minutes you can convert your coins into fiat currency, anywhere and at any time, that's already much more useful than physical gold, which is much harder to liquidate.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
CarnagexD

Activity: 1498
Merit: 374

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 09:48:40 PM

Bitcoin has just started maturing. We are seeing great interest coming from corporates around the world. Some have gone ahead and started keeping a minor percentage of the their cash reserve in bitcoin. The entire market is slowly maturing despite all odds it is facing from the regulatory agencies worldwide. So no one has the right to decide that bitcoin not a money by just its acceptability at grocery stores! Smiley

Basically this means that bitcoin is money for some but not for all. Perhaps from where the OP was, bitcoin adoption was scarce, if not non-existent at all. Then again, I would agree that with the current stature of bitcoin in the public's pockets, it's more of an asset rather than cash really. More people would want to trade bitcoin than to use bitcoin for purchases, at least from what I observed.

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Stake.com
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Serious475

Activity: 574
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 10:17:48 PM

The idea that Bitcoin is money sounds almost as silly as someone trying to push their “pokemon cards” as cash

Pokemon cards have utility - you can play with them. Bitcoin's only utility is ability to send it to other people. Bitcoin has no uses aside from being money, if we of course ignore some rare attempts to embed some data in its blockchain, or the coming smart contracts.

Just because it's no a popular form of money doesn't disqualify it from being money. And people shouldn't underestimate Bitcoin's liquidity, if in 10-15 minutes you can convert your coins into fiat currency, anywhere and at any time, that's already much more useful than physical gold, which is much harder to liquidate.
Bitcoin is still a money even if it is not accepted on other countries. It is a money that has a different features that can help you to make your life easier and one of these features is being easy to be sent because you can send bitcoin to your friend at the other side of the earth and he will receive it in a couple of minute. All we need to do is to wait until mass adoption occurs so that all the country can accept the bitcoin as their financial system and their new currency. I hope that this mass adoption occurs earlier than what we are expecting.
mangsitin

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 10:41:03 PM

I think bitcoin is money, but the prospect of bitcoin is still limited, because some people can't accept bitcoin.  If we compare the nature of money and Bitcoin, the following is the equation Bitcoin with money:
1. Easy to carry.
2. Can be divided into units or smaller parts (for example 100 thousand, 50 thousand, 10 thousand, etc.).
3. Can be used as a medium of exchange to buy a good or service.
4. Accepted by the wider community.
5. Can last a long time
Rengga Jati

Activity: 1974
Merit: 624

ROLLBIT > Crypto's Most Rewarding Casino

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 10:47:19 PM

Does the point of view of "money" only lay in its use as a means of payment that is accepted by both parties?

Here we can see the definition:
Money is a generally accepted, recognized, and centralized medium of exchange in an economy that is used to facilitate transactional trade for goods and services.
The use of money eliminates issues from the double coincidence of wants that can occur in bartering.
Economically, each government has its own money system, defined and monitored by a central authority.
Cryptocurrencies represent a new form of money, with international exchange opportunities.

Bitcoin is a new form of money to be used for a wider payment method globally.
However, based on this condition that you experienced, we can see that there are still many differences regarding our point of view towards Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in general in each country. And one of the differences in this point of view lies in where we live, depending on which country. When these countries still have not legalized Bitcoin and crypto, it will be difficult to use Bitcoin as a means of payment, even if this is considered a crime.

However, in a country where Bitcoin has been accepted as a manner of payment and also a digital asset, we can find it easy to spend BTC as payment, salary, and also others. And this, of course, will also depend on whose we are offering. If we offer BTC to someone who does not know about ti, it will not work.

Source:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/money.asp

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
stompix
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 6304

Blackjack.fun

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 11:00:10 PM

So, I open the recent topic pages, saw this one, I said in my mind wow, another one, click on it, and saw OP's name.
Pickachu face!!! (since I read something about pokemon cards down the line)

Things I can’t do with Bitcoin: Pay rent, pay my internet, pay my electric, pay my grocery bill, pay my pizza tab, pay my fine for my speeding ticket, pay for medical marijuana anywhere in Arkansas legally, and the list goes on and on.

Pitchfork the infidel!!!!!!

Well, it isn't that odd or weird for most countries to not accept payments using Bitcoin, heck I'd even say that they'd actually ask from what kind of arcade store did Bitcoin come from.

It's not about countries accepting bitcoins.
There is a cafe near me that accepts bitcoins, does it means my country accepts bitcoin? No! The superstore next to the cafe is not accepting bitcoin, But at the same time it doesn't mean that the country is;t accepting bitcoins. Unless..you live in North Korea or some other country where every business is run by the state.
Countries =/= private business just as a dealer selling BMW's for coins doesn't mean BMW is accepting cryptos.

I think bitcoin is money, but the prospect of bitcoin is still limited, because some people can't accept bitcoin. 
3. Can be used as a medium of exchange to buy a good or service.
4. Accepted by the wider community.

Well, it's exactly 3 and 4 that is the problem right now and there is no sign of it matching the rise in price.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
seoincorporation
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 2930

Top Crypto Casino

View Profile
October 29, 2020, 11:21:25 PM

Great article buddy, i have been talking a lot about this topic in the past, bitcoin is not money on a legal view of points. And that sucks because we will never be able to charge bitcoin as a payment method on our local business. We can't give a ticket for it to justify the taxes... So, if bitcoin isn't money then how can we do transactions with it? The answer is a classical exchange, you can exchange your coins for a laptop, but you can't say you are using your coins to buy the laptop. Is important to understand the legal face of bitcoin to understand how we can spend it.

████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████
BC.GAME
▄▄░░░▄▀▀▄████████
▄▄▄
██████████████
█████░░▄▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄██████▄▄▄▄████
▄███▄█▄▄██████████▄████▄████
███████████████████████████▀███
▀████▄██▄██▄░░░░▄████████████
▀▀▀█████▄▄▄███████████▀██
███████████████████▀██
███████████████████▄██
▄███████████████████▄██
█████████████████████▀██
██████████████████████▄
..CASINO....SPORTS....RACING..
█░░░░░░█░░░░░░█
▀███▀░░▀███▀░░▀███▀
▀░▀░░░░▀░▀░░░░▀░▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░█░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
░█░██░░███░░░█░██
░█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀

▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀███▄
██████████
▀███▄░▄██▀
▄▄████▄▄░▀█▀▄██▀▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀▀████▄▄██▀▄███▀▀███▄
███████▄▄▀▀████▄▄▀▀███████
▀███▄▄███▀░░░▀▀████▄▄▄███▀
▀▀████▀▀████████▀▀████▀▀
maxreish

Activity: 1330
Merit: 326

View Profile
October 30, 2020, 02:04:21 AM

Actually, Bitcoin is money. There are too many people who think it should have a system like fiat to call it as money. But it doesn't work like that. The meaning of money in short is  "a medium of exchange". So, a currency that is a medium of exchange can be accepted as money. 

Perhaps a "digital money". Who said we can't spend bitcoin like money does? We definitely can. The only difference fiat money and bitcoin are facing is that fiat money has physical existence while bitcoin doesn't have. If money can be used to pay bills, pizza, etc. Bitcoin can also do the same through crypto local wallets.

It was also alternative paymeny method next to fiat money.
And according to Forbes,
Apparently, money is:

-A means of exchange
-A store of wealth
-A unit of account

And bitcoin does this all characteristics, too, isn't?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: