Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:11:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with the spread?  (Read 1117 times)
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2011, 05:52:48 PM

Why has the spread gone up recently? Usually if a rapid price movements happens bidders and sellers go pretty close.
Not this time... or is it just random variance or my subjective observation?

Anybody notice the same thing?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 06:08:31 PM

Why has the spread gone up recently? Usually if a rapid price movements happens bidders and sellers go pretty close.

I'm on vacation this week.  I don't trade enough volume to make much of a difference, but perhaps the same is true for others.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 06:09:53 PM

Seems pretty standard to me.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2011, 07:41:46 PM

Which website spread are you refering to?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 02:33:10 AM

He would be referring to the MtGox/TH spread: According to bitcoincharts, $2.51 versus $2.39.  Huge difference that no one seems to be taking advantage of.  I would suggest TH is having technical problems at the moment.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 02:46:27 AM

He would be referring to the MtGox/TH spread: According to bitcoincharts, $2.51 versus $2.39.  Huge difference that no one seems to be taking advantage of.  I would suggest TH is having technical problems at the moment.

No problem that I'm aware of (except that they did not process my wire deposit request on schedule again.)  I've been trading all day with not problems.

The answer is rather obvious.  It 'problem' comes and goes and has been doing so for weeks (if not months) which anyone paying attention would know.  There is simply not enough people with funds in Tradehill who are willing to buy at the prices that people are on Mt. Gox.  There has been a much higher supply on Tradehill for at least a few weeks (possibly the haul from a theft) and it takes a lot of interest to dig through it.  The handful of people doing arbitrage burnt out and need time to replenish their funds.  You don't have to make this a harder problem than it is.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 03:13:56 AM

The problem is getting money from Gox to TH without spending 100% of the spread on fees.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 03:23:20 AM

No problem that I'm aware of (except that they did not process my wire deposit request on schedule again.)  I've been trading all day with not problems.

The answer is rather obvious.  It 'problem' comes and goes and has been doing so for weeks (if not months) which anyone paying attention would know.  There is simply not enough people with funds in Tradehill who are willing to buy at the prices that people are on Mt. Gox.  There has been a much higher supply on Tradehill for at least a few weeks (possibly the haul from a theft) and it takes a lot of interest to dig through it.  The handful of people doing arbitrage burnt out and need time to replenish their funds.  You don't have to make this a harder problem than it is.

TH's price has usually been very close to MtGox's for the past several months that I've been observing the price.  It's an aberration, not usual behaviour, to see large spreads between the two.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 03:37:36 AM

You don't have to make this a harder problem than it is.

TH's price has usually been very close to MtGox's for the past several months that I've been observing the price.  It's an aberration, not usual behaviour, to see large spreads between the two.

Dude!  You don't need to pull stuff out of your ass when it is easy to look up.  Just look at the 'mix' on bitcoinity.org at 30 days.  You'll see the current pattern is, if anything, more predictable than unusual.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 07:13:25 AM

I'm on vacation this week.  I don't trade enough volume to make much of a difference, but perhaps the same is true for others.
Same here, I'm not doing my liquidity thing on mtgox.  Glad someone noticed. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: