Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:35:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's to stop this from happening?  (Read 4005 times)
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:16:01 PM

@DannyHamilton

It matters if we end up with a mainstream crypto where +51% of the mining is being done by major corporation - whom, from my life experience, do not have your best interests at heart.

But the chart you posted only shows a handful of the biggest US banks -- there are still thousands of other banks operating in the US and around the world, some of them very large indeed.

What makes you think mining will necessarily be more centralised than e.g. banking?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 02:31:27 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 04:18:32 PM by Beliathon

Regarding the illuminati fears... superstition is the end of reason.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
psioniq (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:32:58 PM

@runam0k

That is indeed true, for the time being - as an example; today, 2 major US capitalfunds bought the NETS infrastructure (responsible for most financial transactions and state-identification in Scandinavia).

What I gather from that is; that over time, all those thousands of banks you mention, will be owned by few, very large entities.

I'm not saying mining will be centralized - I'm saying it could be.
psioniq (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:44:05 PM

@Beliathon

I knew I should have been more cautious mentioning the 'i-word'..

But I agree with you to some extent - I just believe it's healthy to have a look at both sides of a 'coin', no matter how ridiculous that side may seem. :]
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:50:47 PM

Regarding the illuminati fears... superstitious is the end of reason.

Those who confuse superstition with exquisitely researched facts have lost rationality.

For those who think there is no global conspiracy, you are apparently not aware of Anthony Sutton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVWXmZB1wc

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:04:20 PM

100% PoS coins, like NXT, don't require (more and more) expensive hardware, and that makes it impossible to regulate the mining aspect of it. Merchant/fiat gateway regulation of course remains possible. In short diversification is the name of the crypto currency game.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:10:39 PM

Miners are not bankers.  Miners are NOT the entire security model of Bitcoin (or any cryptocurrency).  Miners simply set the consensus ordering of transactions nothing more.   It would be the equivalent of showing which power companies supply power to the major banks and crying centralization because 90% of banks are now powered by less power companies than fifty years ago.

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:13:14 PM

Miners are not bankers.  Miners are NOT the entire security model of Bitcoin (or any cryptocurrency).  Miners simply set the consensus ordering of transactions nothing more.   It would be the equivalent of showing which power companies supply power to the major banks and crying centralization because 90% of banks are now powered by less power companies than fifty years ago.

Control 50+% of miners, you can blacklist coins. True or false and why?

If the majority agree with that blacklisting (of illegal activity and theft of their coins), then the argument that it would cause the ecosystem to die is incorrect. Rather it would facilitate adoption by the masses.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
SZZT

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:24:10 PM

I'm not trying to burst anyones bubble neither i am trying to provoke with my reply here,
but isn't every "premine&distribution" coin essentially a centrally governed regulated currency, at least at its very beginning?

Please do not get me wrong, I am not talking about the success or fairness of any particular coin.

But i do find that if a team of 2, 5, 10, 500 or n individuals are holding 70% of any asset, they essentialy dominate and effectively regulate said asset.
This fact will not change, no matter how many currencies come and go.

Also, although as a poster already said, miners are not bankers, that does not mean that (big)mining pools or exchanges cannot create problems like banks have. Please note, i am not saying they, even remotely, have something in common, they most definitely dont.

I am saying that a mining pool can produce enough power, or hashrates or enough altcoins to be able to infuence the market. Same goes for an exchange, does it not?
I do believe that these problems are too evident in the cryptoworld to need to be pointed at.

1HceYnNAUv5zBjJUhEncmmvxU1C7yjWoX8
psioniq (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:25:01 PM

@AnonyMint

Thanks for the link - very interesting :]

@devphp

Admittedly, I have not researched the PoS system - but I should look into it.

@DeathAndTaxes

Never said that miners are banks, but I understand how you would draw that connection in relation to the image - maybe I should have been more clear; that it was the consolidation model and not the specific institution I was referring to.
josiah__Coinsetter

Activity: 18

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:55:56 PM

Eventually - mining will become so expensive that no ordinary man will have access to the equipment required to compete. Large mining corps will take over smaller ones, and the consolidation will have started, where, in the end - you might have 1-3 major mining corps, whom will have the exact same power that we loathe about the financial industry today.

Even two would be a step up from one (federal reserve). But not to mention, they only have to power to make what has been already designated to be made by the network. They have an inherently limited ability to create capital, a measure that our current systems of economies don't have built in.
psioniq (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:16:48 PM

@SZZT

That is what is at the core of my concern/question.

I was hoping that crypto would make 'control-schemes' very difficult - but, unfortunately, it has the potential to do the exact opposite - and I'm looking for a way to disrupt the latter :]

*snip*.. I do believe that these problems are too evident in the cryptoworld to need to be pointed at.
Do you mean that we should stop pointing at potential problems with crypto? or how should I understand that?

@josiah__Coinsetter

Yes, they might not be able to produce more coins than the fixed amount, (even though I remember reading, that you could indeed change the maximum amount of coins if enough nodes are willing to participate - please enlighten me if I'm wrong) but that matters little if a single entity controls the network - as others mentioned; that would be a 'hello' to blacklisted coins, transaction reversals and other shenanigans.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 04:20:28 PM

I just believe it's healthy to have a look at both sides of a 'coin', no matter how ridiculous that side may seem
I'm distinctly reminded of Christian "scientists" arguing that we should "Teach the controversy" and have creationism in our schools. Excuse me while I puke my guts out.

The only "coin" conspiracy theories are one side of, is superstition. Religion would be the other side of that moronic coin, and I say we throw the fucking thing right into Mt. Doom where it belongs.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
anonuser777

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:25:14 PM

Eventually - mining will become so expensive that no ordinary man will have access to the equipment required to compete. Large mining corps will take over smaller ones, and the consolidation will have started, where, in the end - you might have 1-3 major mining corps, whom will have the exact same power that we loathe about the financial industry today.

Even two would be a step up from one (federal reserve). But not to mention, they only have to power to make what has been already designated to be made by the network. They have an inherently limited ability to create capital, a measure that our current systems of economies don't have built in.

I generally agree with your sentiments, but when they control the blockchain what is to stop them saying "oh, look all of these (paid banker shill) economists agree that inflation is a good thing. Let's all fork the bitcoin protocol so that coin reward halvings dont happen any more". More profits for the mining pools too.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:29:56 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 04:41:12 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I generally agree with your sentiments, but when they control the blockchain what is to stop them saying "oh, look all of these (paid banker shill) economists agree that inflation is a good thing. Let's all fork the bitcoin protocol so that coin reward halvings dont happen any more". More profits for the mining pools too.

Nothing.  Except they don't control the blockchain.  You can do decide on higher monetary inflation right now with a single miner and modified source code.  Just modify the client to produce a 50 BTC rewards and start mining.   Of course all existing nodes will simply drop your blocks as invalid.  The fact that you have produced an alternate chain doesn't prevents anyone else from just ignoring your fork and continuing to use the "real" Bitcoin.  The reality is that unless they update their client (or look in the debug log) they will never even know your fork exists.  Having 51% of the hashrate doesn't change that dynamic.

You can't change Bitcoin all you can do is fork it.  The hard part is convincing people to use your fork.  
analau

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:35:53 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 06:45:01 PM by analau

If crypto succeeds, it will not be through BTC.  There's other reasons as well, but no mainstream currency would be publicly mined.

why will it not be through btc?
psioniq (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:48:34 PM

@Beliathon

I'm sorry to have brought you feelings of disgust. But, I'd argue that the evidence for evolution is as strong, as the evidence for financial institutions, leeching off of your hard earned 'republic credits', is becoming.

@DeathAndTaxes

You can't change Bitcoin all you can do is fork it.  The hard part is convincing people to use your fork. 
Yes, but almost daily, we see that with the right machine behind you, you can convince the majority of the population of anything.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:50:17 PM

You can't change Bitcoin all you can do is fork it.  The hard part is convincing people to use your fork. 
Yes, but almost daily, we see that with the right machine behind you, you can convince the majority of the population of anything.

and?  A majority of people are NOT using Bitcoin today and it still has value.  If a majority of people decide to use inflatacoin it doesn't erase the existing Bitcoin network.
psioniq (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:59:04 PM

@DeathAndTaxes

Was just pointing out that if one entity has the means to gain control, they would certainly have the means to convince people that 'their' solution is the right one.

..should have used more words :]
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 05:19:36 PM

and?  A majority of people are NOT using Bitcoin today and it still has value.  If a majority of people decide to use inflatacoin it doesn't erase the existing Bitcoin network.
Yep. People really just don't get it. Once people get a taste of inflation (read: centralized-theft) free money, they'll never look back. Never.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: