Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:49:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: gitian build (Windows client): vm asks for root password when compiling protobuf  (Read 2090 times)
almightyruler (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:47:38 PM

I've been running the several steps leading up to the point of being able to compile the Windows Bitcoin client with Gitian, but there's one final stumbling block: the vm (KVM) is asking for a root password when trying to compile protobuf. This is the only step so far where it has done this; I presume escalated privileges are needed to update the apt-get repository.

Code:
miner@miner-G31M-ES2L:~/gitian/gitian-builder$ ./bin/gbuild ../bitcoin/contrib/gitian-descriptors/protobuf-win.yml
--- Building for precise amd64 ---
Stopping target if it is up
Making a new image copy
Formatting 'target-precise-amd64.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 size=11811160064 backing_file='base-precise-amd64.qcow2' encryption=off cluster_size=65536 lazy_refcounts=off
Starting target
Checking if target is up
Preparing build environment
protobuf-2.5.0.tar.bz2                                                                                                                                                       100% 1823KB   1.8MB/s   00:00
Updating apt-get repository (log in var/install.log)
root@localhost's password:

I was hoping it may have just cloned the root or user password from the parent system, but no go. Default guesses like "root" or "ubuntu" also fail. I also tried on-target -u root passwd but this prompts for the root password.

Is there a default root password or do I need to do something silly like hax0r the VM to be able to change it? I've been using *nix for nearly 20 years but I've had very little experience with Linux, so I'm still pretty awkward when it comes to the lower level stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 01:04:22 PM

Sounds familiar...

... I think I ran into a similar problem that turned out to be ssh being upset that the file permissions on the id_dsa file used to login to the virtual machine were too permissive (because I was running from a FAT32-formatted USB stick that didn't support file permissions at all, if I recall correctly, which I probably don't).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
xploited

Activity: 304
Merit: 252

CLAM Dev

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 09:38:30 PM

I had this problem as well when I was compiling using gitian. I'm confident theres a better solution but restarting the vm instance that I was running kvm in solved the issue. Likely something to do with residuals left from the previous dependency builds that werent removed correctly wjem they completed.

I stopped digging after the reboot solved the issue.

victormx

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:53:08 PM

I had this problem as well when I was compiling using gitian. I'm confident theres a better solution but restarting the vm instance that I was running kvm in solved the issue. Likely something to do with residuals left from the previous dependency builds that werent removed correctly wjem they completed.

I stopped digging after the reboot solved the issue.
Same solution here.
almightyruler (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:25:15 AM

I ended up restarting the build from scratch (including a fresh VM) and building of protobuf has completed.

Couple of reasons I can think the first try may have failed:

1. I ran out of disk space on the host when building earlier dependencies. The build didn't exit or show an error, it just seemed to pause indefinitely, so I tried a few times before I realised.

2. I ran at least one of the dependency build steps as root. Can't remember why.

3. Gremlins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: