Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:26:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloud storage isn't safe place for your wallet keys  (Read 380 times)
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2020, 12:11:20 PM

Obviously, I think storing valuables, like private keys and others in the cloud is not recommended and even I don't like it at all. there are several potentials that can happen to cloud storage and the most common and also often happens is hacking

Gotumoot

Activity: 1372
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 12:23:08 PM

I never used cloud storage and I would never save my wallet keys online.
I only save it on notepads and keep a copy on my flashdrive.
I just don't feel secure about it even in keeping some of my old pictures.
imstillthebest

Activity: 1638
Merit: 122

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 12:26:13 PM

i find that idea bad . why store them on a cloud storage when cloud storage arent created for that purpose but thats for the not sensitive files that are huge and cant be fit on your device .

password andd keys are not less that a kilobyte in size to consume your device storage and there are so many way to back up them but in a much safer way than storing them online .

there could be people that are insane to do that but they can be safe if they use trusted could storage and not those random cloud storage found online  and lastly how can hackers search for a cloud storage files online when its supposed to be private  . it also have a password
Harriti

Activity: 756
Merit: 256

HEX: Longer pays better

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 12:26:53 PM

It is true that storing a private key or recovery seed wallet in the cloud is very risky for hacking or other attacks, the best solution is to write it down and store it in a safe place.
Yes, any online platform does not have a good level of security. Our users' information is very important to them and they make a profit on collecting our information for sale. So for your crypto assets, you should invest a little more money to make it safer and make sure no one can attack.
Buy a cold wallet (Trezor) instead of writing it down and storing it. Storing on writing paper is also not safe because you can either leave it in a corner or get bitten by rats Smiley

████████████████████
       ██████████████████████
      ████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████
   ████               ▀██████████
  ████  ██████████████  ██████████
████  ████████████████  ██████████▄
████  ██████████████████  █████████▀
██  ████████████████████  ███████
    ███          █████████  █████
   ███  ███████   ███████  █████
       █████████   █████  █████
      ███████████   ███  █████
       █████████   ███  █████
        ███████   ███  █████

Powered by,
covfefe_

Activity: 935
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 01:19:28 PM

I have moved every of my private keys based funds to a seed phrase based wallet. I started writing all of my seed phrases on two different diaries and have stored them on two different places. One lies with my parents while another is where I live. They know it contains value but my parents and siblings are not well introduced to crypto so I've asked a friend of mine to assist them cashout if anything happens with me.
Balladtony77

Activity: 378
Merit: 15

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 01:22:55 PM

I never like the idea of storing any valuable info online like gmail or cloud storage because they are easily hacked, if it's a must to use email to store private keys then create a special email address for this and use 2FA to lock the mail, don't use the email for signing up websites

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Greatchu

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 02:14:15 PM

Store your keys offline, it's more safer this way than using any online storage to store your keys, online is full of malicious softwares and scammers are always trying to jailbreak something through any means, either by infecting your PC and using phishing skills, writing seed in paper is more safer don't throw away your hard earned money to scammers

Kvalentine

Activity: 504
Merit: 25

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 02:28:24 PM

The best place to save it is on a paper or on an external hard drive and with the possibility of renewal because all external technology has a possibility of failure, so it will be saved on several external hard drives (pen drive). Another interesting thing is to create passwords for the folders where the files are located. However, this can be relative and is not obligatory, after all, each person chooses their security.
External hard drive can die on you anytime unless you don't use it after storing the keys on the hard drive, it's more safer to store in a ledger book or carve the words on silver steel and keep in your wardrobe, I do this and it makes me sleep at nights

SaveOurSea

Activity: 910
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 02:48:45 PM

I never like the idea of storing any valuable info online like gmail or cloud storage because they are easily hacked, if it's a must to use email to store private keys then create a special email address for this and use 2FA to lock the mail, don't use the email for signing up websites

If your email is still not visible then it is okay, people usually break into email because our email has already been shared,
and hackers take advantage of it, like you get an email about an exchange,
or an email about an online wallet, just avoid it and don't let you open it.

jessyj48

Activity: 756
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 02:51:21 PM

If your email is still not visible then it is okay, people usually break into email because our email has already been shared,
and hackers take advantage of it, like you get an email about an exchange,
or an email about an online wallet, just avoid it and don't let you open it.
True, if you don't go around using that same email you stored your keys on you won't have any problem as scammers can only target emails that they know about, this days people even sell millions of emails online for money, but I still consider paper over this method

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
doomloop

Activity: 2296
Merit: 581

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 03:58:26 PM

I just find out that some people are storing their private keys and recovery seed in cloud data storages, if you are one of them better go ahead and erase them, cloud storages aren't that secured like they promised, some scammers are breaching them easily and some are using search engines to find private keys data stored on cloud storages, you've been warned.
Obviously cloud storage is someone else and not you, which means you are not at the control of your own keys and as long as you do not own it yourself you are not going to like it when hackers come knocking at the door. When you use your own computer or better yet if you use something like a ledger nano or trezor so that you could have a bigger control even without having any specific PC, that would allow you to be in charge a lot better.

I would say this depends on how much crypto you own, if you own under 100 bucks you should not care about any of this because hackers do not care about that type of small amounts unless it is incredibly easy to get it, but if you own more than 1k+ you should definitely reconsider and switch to something more safe and secure.

BTCappu

Activity: 516
Merit: 38

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 04:43:25 PM

cloud storage is always unsecure but actually you can make it secure by encrypting your private key further and then save it in cloud storage as archived document with password. But, you can simply buy harddisk for cheap rather than cloud storage with disadvantage if your harddisk got broken you probably couldnt retrieve it.
but, saving it in cloud storage as encrypted and archived file atleast gives you more security than writing it on paper and then you lost that paper.
Losing that paper is a risk for sure and there are chances that the alphabets are erased or not readable which would mean you lose the coins because the private key is so long you cannot guess alphabets if like 2-3 are missing or erased.

People might store on cloud and still remain safe if they are smart and use basic encryption like reverse the order of the key and save it such that if a hacker ever gets the key they still don't know how to redeem it. You can also do basic manual encryption like replacing alphabet "a" with "x" and something like that such that only you know the secret.

▬▬▬▬▬  ♦  ▬▬▬▬▬          ♦     Betnomi     ♦          ▬▬▬▬▬  ♦  ▬▬▬▬▬
300% Deposit Bonus       //     100% Rakeback     //     20% Weekly Cashback
▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄   ▄▄   ▄
Darkelf11

Activity: 509
Merit: 43

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 04:56:07 PM

Storing your private keys on a cloud storage is not recommended and if ever that you already placed it on some of it then I think the risk of being hacked is already there, the cloud storage platform had an access to it even if you delete it. You cannot trust digital platforms for this, your self is the only human you can trust with your private keys. Vital information like this should not be placed anywhere.
terizla

Activity: 555
Merit: 271

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2020, 05:00:35 PM

Online place isn't the safe way to save your Private Key/Wallets. Better you save it to Notepad/other text file and move to your Flashdisk or phone.
With this tips now i my wallet never get scammed.
bittraffic

Activity: 2954
Merit: 612

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 05:06:10 PM

Will deleting those files they have solved this?

I think the cloud storage already copied their file to another storage for safer storage so it would be too late for those who had uploaded there. You might just have to log in to the wallets and move to a new wallet that you own. Never upload anything that has your data particularly private keys.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

lixer

Activity: 2520
Merit: 586

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 05:21:25 PM

Well, it's not a problem to store on a cloud storage at all if you have more security like :
- Created an email for only purpose store your data, never share the email or used them for creating account.
- Change type of your file.
- Make another protection using Cryptography Tools.
- Then you can make another last step, make the .rar file have a password.

Even your email can be a breach, they cannot breach password rar or cryptography password.
I agree with all the steps above but don't you think it is easier to just save it offline instead of applying so many filters and formulas that some day you might yourself forget about them.

Cold storage are meant to be for long time and you cannot remember the email you used, the encryption you used fr years and it would be locking yourself out of your own coins.

There is another better way which some people use basically they have a separate computer where they don't use anything and only use it to download a bitcoin wallet like electrum and you are safe since you don't do online surfing and all with that so you can't get hacked.

toast

Activity: 1582
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 05:37:32 PM

it is more convenient to save your code on paper. what i would do is just generate codes offline until you see a recognizable word for you, and then replace it with something you know yourself. if you see eg USA in the code, then replace it with TED. That is remembered. i have to admit it takes some work to be embarrassed until you have something useful.

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
    ▄▄▄▀▀█████▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄    ▄███████▄
  ▄▀      ▀█▀      ▀▄        ▄█████████████████▄
 ██▌       █       ▐██      ▄████████████████▀▀██
████▄▄   ▄▄█▄▄   ▄▄████   ▄████████████████▀████
██▀   ▀▀███████▀▀   ▀██▄▄██████████████▀▀███▄▄██
█        █████        ██████████████▀██████▀▀ ▄▀
█       █     █       ███████████▀▀███▀▀▀▀▄▀▀
 █▄▄▄▄▄▀       ▀▄▄▄▄█████████████▀▀
  ▀████▄       ▄███████████████▀▀
    ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄███████████████
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
mezzaluna

Activity: 518
Merit: 23

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 05:45:36 PM

I just find out that some people are storing their private keys and recovery seed in cloud data storages, if you are one of them better go ahead and erase them, cloud storages aren't that secured like they promised, some scammers are breaching them easily and some are using search engines to find private keys data stored on cloud storages, you've been warned.

Do you even know how secure Cloud servers are? If the development of Blockchain is already secure, the addition of Cloud Security makes it better. Having a breach within a Cloud Server would be hard since there would be multiple securities installed not only on the Outsourcing side but also on the Customers side. It would only fail if the customers fail to comply on how to properly secure their private keys.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
jacafbiz

Activity: 2086
Merit: 530

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 06:11:22 PM

If you decided to expose your private keys to third party then good luck, when you lose all your money. People need to learn and understand that protecting their Crypo asset should be their number priority, if you make money and you can't protect it, you will end up losing everything you make

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Ozero

Activity: 2058
Merit: 180

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 06:15:31 PM

Store your keys offline, it's more safer this way than using any online storage to store your keys, online is full of malicious softwares and scammers are always trying to jailbreak something through any means, either by infecting your PC and using phishing skills, writing seed in paper is more safer don't throw away your hard earned money to scammers
Yes, first of all, you need to store private keys from wallets in a safe place in paper form.  Then I prefer memory cards and all kinds of hard drives.  However, disks are not very reliable, not even from the point of view of the fact that they can be demagnetized or fail in another way.  When using information from them, you need to copy it, and this can also be dangerous.  I almost always enter my private key data manually.
 Cloud storage is very unreliable.  Initially, I kept the keys to the wallets in the MEGA cloud storage, and they were all stolen by persons who had access to this information on the service.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: