Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:17:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: sending BTC to my paper wallet  (Read 1337 times)
pinksheep (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:37:56 PM

Finally, got the paper wallets made & now am ready to send BTC to them. Just wanted to ask how long does it usually take before the transactions to them are confirmed?

Secondly, I have 2 BTC in one wallet but want to send each BTC to a separate paper wallet. If I send one, will the other one automatically go to a change address? I'm not that certain about how change addresses work.

Thanks again.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:44:30 PM

Finally, got the paper wallets made & now am ready to send BTC to them. Just wanted to ask how long does it usually take before the transactions to them are confirmed?

Secondly, I have 2 BTC in one wallet but want to send each BTC to a separate paper wallet. If I send one, will the other one automatically go to a change address? I'm not that certain about how change addresses work.

Thanks again.
I assume you that before you created your paper wallet you created some receiving addresses. In that case just send BTC to the receiving address and you should have your first confirmation within 10 mins. You can check to see if the coins have transacted by searching at one of these sites:
https://blockexplorer.com/
http://blockchain.info/
If you see your transaction there, you have completed your transaction and sent BTC to your cold wallet. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:01:36 PM

Can anyone answer my question about the change addresses?

PRIMEDICE
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:08:09 PM

A wallet is a collection of addresses and their associated private keys. If you send coins, your wallet-software will use a new address in the wallet as change-address. This change-address is typically hidden from from the user, but the wallet-software keeps track of it. As long as you use regular wallet software to send transactions, you don't need to worry about how change works. The only thing to take into account is when you import the private key of your paper wallet at some point and spend part of the coins associated with it. The remainder of those coins do not go back to the paper wallet, but instead to a new change-address.

If you craft your transactions manually (which a typical user never has to do), you need to be more careful of course.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:10:40 PM

You need to tell us how you're sending the coins first.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
softron

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:15:16 PM

which wallet are u using to send

Lamber

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:15:36 PM

Yes, how are you sending them ?
softron

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:18:51 PM

Really Hope ur not sending btc to a brainwallet.
Better to send small amount first, and try accessing those bitcoin.

TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 04:26:32 PM

Really Hope ur not sending btc to a brainwallet.
Better to send small amount first, and try accessing those bitcoin.

Agreed - First time using paper-wallets, make some test with small amounts to find good method for redeeming the funds.
I think I made at least 4 different paper wallets (with 1 mBTC each) and tried redeeming the funds with different methods -  before I felt comfortable enough making "my real paper wallet" and loading it will higher amount of funds.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:39:15 PM

I'm sending them from my Multibit wallet. If there's 2BTC in one address, can i send a small portion of this to my paper wallet to check that it's working OK & the remainder will stay there, it won't go to a change address? Am I right in thinking that change addresses are only something I will encounter when bringing the BTC out of cold storage, not when I'm putting them in?

PRIMEDICE
softron

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:51:34 PM

No if u send a small amount, the rest of your balance goes to the change address so u have to worry about it. Some wallets send your change to the same address u sent from. Some allow u choose a change addy, bitcoinqt will create a new change addy and sometimes hide it if u dont set it yourself.
I dont use multibit,  possibly it will send change to sendfrom address.

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:02:17 PM

You want it to go to a change address anyway, you shouldn't reuse addresses.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:14:02 PM

not sure that I trust my knowledge of change wallets enough to do this. I'd prefer just to send all the BTC I have in each wallet at once; is there anything that could go wrong if I do this?

PRIMEDICE
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 05:20:10 PM

not sure that I trust my knowledge of change wallets enough to do this. I'd prefer just to send all the BTC I have in each wallet at once; is there anything that could go wrong if I do this?

Sir, you really need to setup a wallet for testing, where you can experiment with transferring funds back-and-forward, transfer to paperwallet, import private keys. ect.

This is very important to gain experience of what you can do and what you can't do - so you can be secure and comfortable in what you are doing.
The time and money (the few tx-fee) is well spend, I promise you.

Imagine that you 5 years from now dig out your paperwallet from your safe and want to redeem the funds, and it won't work because you made a newbee-mistake, that would really suck.

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:23:34 PM

You'd have to only purchase items that cost all of the money you have, it's kind of silly.  You have to learn about change addresses if you want to use bitcoin.

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:58:25 PM

well, if Bitcoin increases in value as I'm sure we all hope it will, I have a figure in mind that I will sell it, so I intend to sell them all at once. Therefore, they might as well all be in 1 paper wallet. But I am now going to set up a separate wallet with a miniscule amount in it to practice with.

PRIMEDICE
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 06:32:24 PM

well, if Bitcoin increases in value as I'm sure we all hope it will, I have a figure in mind that I will sell it, so I intend to sell them all at once. Therefore, they might as well all be in 1 paper wallet. But I am now going to set up a separate wallet with a miniscule amount in it to practice with.

That is a great decision!

The methods I have experimented with to redeem funds from paper wallets are:

Mt. Gox - worked great, but is now dead.
Blockchain-wallet - worked great, you can even scan a private key as QR code.
mycelium (andriod) - worked great, you can even scan a private key as QR code.
Bitcoin-QT - worked great (my favorite).

Good luck Smiley Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

softron

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:58:26 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208808.0
according to that thread multibit sends change to the second addy in the wallet and if there isnt a second, it sends back to your addy.
Sir what this means is that ur very safe to send small amounts

softron

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:59:45 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208808.0
according to that thread multibit sends change to the second addy in the wallet and if there isnt a second, it sends back to your addy.
Sir what this means is that ur very safe to send small amounts

softron

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:01:39 PM

Pls do not send all ur bitcoins to a brainwallet u will lose it in less than 10secs

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: