Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:23:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: sending BTC to my paper wallet  (Read 1337 times)
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 07:11:48 PM

Pls do not send all ur bitcoins to a brainwallet u will lose it in less than 10secs

I am not a big fan of brain wallets either...

I made my paper wallet completely offline and used large random number with very high entropy to generate the private key. The key has never been exposed to any networks.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
pinksheep (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:14:25 PM

thanks everyone, I am using a brainwallet (well kind of). It's a very long string of dice-generated numbers.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 07:55:48 PM

thanks everyone, I am using a brainwallet (well kind of). It's a very long string of dice-generated numbers.

If you roll a fair dice 99 time, you get more than 10^77 combination (if my math is correct), which is very-very good for a private key (one of the best method imo).

But this is not a brain wallet in any way, unless you are planing of remembering all the numbers, and that would freak me out if you can remember a sting of 99 random base6 numbers!

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 08:25:10 PM

My number is 62 numbers long. I read this post & it says that 62 numbers is long enough. Can anyone confirm that or should I do it again with more numbers?

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinWallet/comments/1p6y5c/secure_paper_wallet_tutorial/

PRIMEDICE
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 08:37:47 PM

My number is 62 numbers long. I read this post & it says that 62 numbers is long enough. Can anyone confirm that or should I do it again with more numbers?

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinWallet/comments/1p6y5c/secure_paper_wallet_tutorial/

6^62 is is a pretty big number. I would be comfortable with that.

I believe that the most important thing is that you have not exposed your private key (or input string) to the internet, meaning generated the key completely offline, also made sure that bitaddress.org.html has not been tampered with.

Edit: I actually like the method on redit (thanks for the link), because the 62 digit base6 number can be used for seed to generate new paper wallets (with same high entropy). But what the heck, rolling a dice 99 do not take that long.

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 08:48:25 PM

I had to connect my tablet to the internet to download the bitcoinpaperwallet page. For some reason, it just didn't work transferring it via USB pen drive from my laptop. But once the bitcoinpaperwallet page was downloaded, I then went offline to generate the addresses & that tablet will never be online again. As I've said before, even if a virus managed to get onto the tablet in the few minutes I was online, I presume it couldn't do any harm if that tablet is never online again.

PRIMEDICE
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 09:03:45 PM

I had to connect my tablet to the internet to download the bitcoinpaperwallet page. For some reason, it just didn't work transferring it via USB pen drive from my laptop. But once the bitcoinpaperwallet page was downloaded, I then went offline to generate the addresses & that tablet will never be online again. As I've said before, even if a virus managed to get onto the tablet in the few minutes I was online, I presume it couldn't do any harm if that tablet is never online again.

Well as long as bitaddress.org.html has not been tampered with, then are you right. I read somewhere that most keyloggers dont pick up the input from onscreen-keyboard, so I asume that a tablet is a bit more "safe" than a desktop PC. 

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 12:04:05 AM

The paragraph below from the reddit forum that I mentioned above is the reason that I did 62 throws of the dice & not 100. What's everyone's view on this?

''Previously, I used 100 rolls of the die, since it gives 256 bits of entropy. I now believe that 50 rolls (129 bits entropy) is sufficient, based on the fact that Electrum and Armory use 128 bit seeds. Furthermore, since more than one private key will yield the same address, the maximum usable entropy is not the size of the private key (256 bit) but the size of the address (160 bit). So you actually max out the entropy capacity of the address at 62 rolls.''

PRIMEDICE
alison03

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

★Trash&Burn [TBC/TXB]★

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 12:45:50 AM

6^62 is is a pretty big number. I would be comfortable with that.

I believe that the most important thing is that you have not exposed your private key (or input string) to the internet, meaning generated the key completely offline, also made sure that bitaddress.org.html has not been tampered with.

Edit: I actually like the method on redit (thanks for the link), because the 62 digit base6 number can be used for seed to generate new paper wallets (with same high entropy). But what the heck, rolling a dice 99 do not take that long.

This is all great info because I plan on transferring my varying coins to paper wallets to get them off exchanges.

Could you help explain this bit to me though? So say I want a paper wallet for a litecoin. I would get it here? https://liteaddress.org - how do I do this without going on the internet? I have a Kindle that has never been used so I figure I can use that device, but *how* do I make a transfer? I just don't know where to begin.
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 09:04:47 AM

This is all great info because I plan on transferring my varying coins to paper wallets to get them off exchanges.

Could you help explain this bit to me though? So say I want a paper wallet for a litecoin. I would get it here? https://liteaddress.org - how do I do this without going on the internet? I have a Kindle that has never been used so I figure I can use that device, but *how* do I make a transfer? I just don't know where to begin.

The procedure is described nicely with the link pinksheep provided:

Basic steps:
- Go to the homepage liteaddress.org
- Save the html page by e.g. pressing ctrl-s.
- Copy html page to a usb drive.
- Boot a clean PC that is not in any way connected to the internet, intranet or wifi.
- Run html page from your usb drive.
- Create your private key, write down on a piece of paper.
- Turn off your PC.

Additional security:
- Verify the with Ninja's PGP signature to make sure that your local html file has not been tapered with.
- Use onscreen keyboard if inputting seed, e.g. Base6 number.
- Format your harddrive and usbdrive after private key is generated.

You can do this more securely, depending on your level of paranoia, this topic is discussed many places in this forum, the steps I have listed is only the basic steps.

alison03

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

★Trash&Burn [TBC/TXB]★

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 08:03:32 AM

that is amazing. thank you so so much!!

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: