Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:48:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [INFO] The Canary Thread  (Read 2813 times)
ChiBitCTy
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 3003

View Profile
November 21, 2020, 04:55:52 AM
Merited by teeGUMES (1)

Here’s a perfect example why this project is well needed.. if you can help with the project, plz do !

( reminder about Infinitum- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3276594.msg34158136#msg34158136 )

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sweeteye

Activity: 789
Merit: 131

View Profile
November 23, 2020, 01:46:48 AM

You peeled all these marbles to test, you broke my heart.  Sad
Bonus video to really make you cry.
Kialara Gore

I did this to ensure your kids/grandkids will be able to live healthy lives due to knowing the bitcoin you saved for them on your coins is still there!

Now I get your "Looks at drill" gag on a recent Kia auction thread.
Your project is BTCalls!
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1253
Merit: 1203

View Profile
December 01, 2020, 01:35:50 AM

Notable post by CryptoImperator that I would like to have documented here for future discussion about Crypto Imperator coins.

As far as I am concerned, this is not a widespread issue, if you can, please post or send me some pictures of your coins with faded firstbits for analysis.

What I can say is that sometimes, depending on the letters comprising the Firstbits it gets printed a bit blurrier, having a much smaller font size, also sometimes with the hologram on top it affects readability as window is not 100% transparent. What I make sure is that the private key letters are all complete, firstbits are just extra information.

See:
https://i.imgur.com/0QI8rPN.jpg

Here is a picture of a 2014 Dogecoin: https://i.imgur.com/W2iVjhv.jpg

Firstbits have not faded there, I have been using the same ink and process for the last six years.  For what I have seen in my collection, some are "barely readable" since the beginning. (Having released the coin list should not make that a problem)

Furthermore I have my own "Canary", a couple tubes of 2014 10k Dogecoins + 2014 10k Bits BTC stored in humidity of 60%+, which I open and redeem from time to time to ensure the key is still readable, no issues so far.

I want to be as open and transparent about this as possible, and verify if some firstbits are indeed fading, as far as I know no private key has "suffered" from this issue. But bear in mind that no process, of any maker, is bulletproof and there will always be risks with physical keys.

Any doubt, please let me know. 
krogoth

Activity: 1216
Merit: 138

Krogothmanhattan alt account

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2020, 11:22:24 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2020, 01:35:14 PM by krogoth
Merited by teeGUMES (2), Mbitr (1)

This thread had me do some thinking and searching for the best paper I can use for paper wallets and paper wallets for our collectable loaded items as well.

I have come across Terra Slate paper touted as The most durable paper on the planet.

TerraSlate is acid-free and is great for archival use.

https://terraslatepaper.com/

https://terraslatepaper.com/pages/faq

They even place the paper in a dishwasher to test it!!

https://youtu.be/kWwkd-1LCEc

TerraSlate Paper has proven to be the world's most tear-proof & waterproof laser printer paper. Compatible with ballpoint pens, copy machines, laser printer and digital presses, TerraSlate is a synthetic paper that never needs laminating.

TerraSlate was developed to be durable, tear-proof and waterproof in order to withstand rain, heat up to 450 degrees, temperature variations, all while repelling grease, solvents and chemicals.

TerraSlate weatherproof paper offers superior laser image quality with the appearance, smoothness and printability of standard paper; and works great in most any standard laser printer or digital press. Most importantly, TerraSlate weatherproof paper is more cost-effective to use and has a much more professional look than laminating.

Well, I bought some and conducted an experiment to see if this is so....

One of our main fears with paper wallets is water damage.
    So I printed out a set of private and pub keys, printed and conducted 2 different experiments..

The first was to just dip the wallet into the water for a few seconds and let dry...
Passed with flying colors...was able to scan the qr codes easily and also no damage done whatsoever.

For the second test I placed the wallet under water in a tall glass for at least 12 hours....
Again it passed with flying colors. No damage and QR codes read easily via my mycellium wallet app.

I have to say I am very impressed with these papers and will use for my project as well as any paper wallets that I have.

Edit: as per request from Mbitr  will do as follows>>  I will place under water for 2 weeks...test and place and leave in the glass for a loong time and every few weeks will test and place again...and on and on  Cheesy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CIPHER BILLS-CIPHER BONDS-CIPHER STAMPS * www.CYPHERHODL.com * COLD STORAGE BITCOIN CERTIFICATES <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Mbitr
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1321

Bitcoin needs you!

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 12:07:03 PM

@krogoth - thanks for the top tips on the Terra Slate paper  Smiley
Just an idea - have you thought about immersing the paper for something like 2 weeks , ie, if you were on holiday for 2 weeks and you had a flood ? This would probably be the max amount of time any paper would be under water ? Might be worth a test  Smiley
krogoth

Activity: 1216
Merit: 138

Krogothmanhattan alt account

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2020, 12:18:28 PM
Merited by Mbitr (1)

@krogoth - thanks for the top tips on the Terra Slate paper  Smiley
Just an idea - have you thought about immersing the paper for something like 2 weeks , ie, if you were on holiday for 2 weeks and you had a flood ? This would probably be the max amount of time any paper would be under water ? Might be worth a test  Smiley

Yep...will do so tonight and I bet that it will pass with flying colors. I will place for 2 weeks...test and place and leave in the glass for a loong time and every few weeks will test and place again...and on and on  Cheesy

This paper is unbelievable..I cant even rip it, yet you can cut with scissors easily.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CIPHER BILLS-CIPHER BONDS-CIPHER STAMPS * www.CYPHERHODL.com * COLD STORAGE BITCOIN CERTIFICATES <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2020, 07:42:27 PM
Merited by iBitcoinHongKong8 (1)

Bitcoin All Time High Bump
Looks like a lot of new and old eyes coming back to the forum recently with coins. Ever wonder what's under your hologram?

Should have a pretty major update with new coins/cards/notes towards the new year, if not shortly after. Lots of coins in the post still on their ways to me.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 02, 2021, 10:10:54 PM

I peeled a 2013 Casascius silver today and was horrified when the paper containing the private key started to separate. I managed to get it off and found what appeared to be adhesive on the silver under the paper.

Very worrisome and I am considering peeling the rest of my collection.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2021, 10:52:05 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2021, 03:07:18 AM by teeGUMES

I peeled a 2013 Casascius silver today and was horrified when the paper containing the private key started to separate. I managed to get it off and found what appeared to be adhesive on the silver under the paper.

Very worrisome and I am considering peeling the rest of my collection.
I've peeled the 2013 1BTC Silver/Gilt (already in thread) and a 2013 0.5BTC Brass that will be added to this thread with the next update and have not noticed the degree of adhesive you are finding in the private key recess on either coin. I actually happened to be right around the peeled coins when I saw you posted here and have taken these current pictures for you.

Things I can completely throw a guess at would be:
Humidity or heat causing some of the adhesive to run down underneath the insert

An application error by Mike Caldwell? Pretty monotonous applying holograms for hours and hours or even days on end. Of all the coins peeled and shown here so far this might be one of the first to have shown this sort of error application made by the creator.

There just doesn't seem to be any pattern or clue to the splotching pattern it ended up leaving.. this is definitely mind boggling because that adhesive should not be there at all. I'm interested in seeing the private key paper if you'd be willing to share with me even in private nubbins. Completely up to you but that is my main concern and why I created this thread and project.

Regardless of everything the paper splitting in two and being extremely thin should scare everybody. Trying to think of ways for if the thin layer that held the ink remained on the coin face down still... what do you even do? Should always have a scalpel or sharp/fine razor nearby when peeling, also if it starts to tear like that I'd personally try from the other side of the holo and hope that that side of the paper insert remained as one.

Glad you were able to document and share this peel with us nubbins.
Put an X on the board for paper inserts. Engraving looking better and better after every scary peel.

**Edited post, didn't like original reply.
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2021, 12:54:51 PM

Photos of private key below. Ink is fully intact. Some brown discolouration on the edges. Doesn’t appear to be any adhesive on the face of the paper.

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
January 15, 2021, 09:49:31 AM
Merited by seek3r (1), Evilish (1)

Just redeemed a 2013 1 BTC Casascius
Key in perfect shape, no decay of any kind

anonyart

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2021, 06:30:48 PM

amazing workw. it's interesting you can add a cryptoart to the investigation
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 10:15:22 PM

I peeled another from the same series that was stored in the same location, and the holo peeled cleanly. FWIW!

teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 10:20:45 PM

I peeled another from the same series that was stored in the same location, and the holo peeled cleanly. FWIW!
Good to hear nubbins. Loving the community involvement that everyone is showing. This is going to become such a big question mark once we break out into the mainstream collectibles community and we are paving the way to being able to answer the big question of "Are the bitcoin still on this coin?"
Kryptowerk
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1401

Disobey.

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 12:24:07 AM

This is an amazing thread! Just discovered it.

Will be peeling a MoonBits chips soon and create some photo footage from it. Can send ship the peeled one to you for further investigation (under a mircroscope for example).

Get educated about Bitcoin. Check out Andreas Antonopoulos on Youtube. An old but gold talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc744Z9IjhY

Daniel Schmachtenberger on The Meta-Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBoLVvoqVY&t=288s One of the most important talks about the current state of this planet. Go check it out.
jackpotato
Copper Member

Activity: 77
Merit: 2

Long bitcoin

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 04:46:07 AM

Great,tks for sharing here.

teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2021, 07:11:19 PM
Merited by vizique (1)

Jampacked update coming in two to three months. We're only just getting started with this thread!

Contents to add at time of this post:
2016 Denarium 1BTC Silver Bull Coin with Gold Finish
2016 Denarium 1BTC Patinated Silver Bull Coin
2011 Casascius 1BTC Brass Coin with Casacius Error
2013 Casascius 1BTC Brass Series 2 Coin
2016 Lealana 25XMR Silver Coin
2020 Lealana/Kizekra Lithium Luna 6.941XMR Bar/Coin
2013 TitanBTC Titan One Silver Coin
2014 TitanBTC Titan Tenth 2FA Coin Donated by Hookzup1
2016 Lealana 5XMR Brass Coin Donated by owlcatz
2020 Alpen Coin Vreneli Brillant Coin
BCmint 2020-A Coin
Polymerbit Mystery 3 Note
Polymerbit Crypto Valley 1mbtc Series 2 Note

Going to start an "outliers" section with some spare coins (these will have their private keys exposed to the elements moreso than the coins in the actual experiment)
- 2013 Casascius 1BTC Brass Series 2 Coin
- 2013 Casascius 0.5BTC Brass Coin
- BTCC Mint Black 100k Bits Poker Chip (the one in the OP will be being switched for one peeled late December. The chip in OP is coming apart so I'm not happy using it any longer for the Canary portion of this thread)
- BTCC Mint 2018 V-Series One Tenth Bitcoin

Also, our first ~6month comparison of the strength of the ink/paper of all the coins listed in the OP right now will be available.

-doubleU-
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1307

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 08:08:22 AM

Thanks for the many detailed pictures of the individual coins. Has anyone happened to document a photo of a peeled Cryptolator Unchained Coin (https://wiki.coin.community/Cryptolator_Unchained_Copper_0.1_BTC) and the condition of the key or infos to the key format and used paper?

█████████▀▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀████████
█████▀▄█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀█████
████ █▀▄███████████▄▀██████
███▄█ ███████▀ ██████ █ ███
██▀█ ███  ▀▀█  ▀██████ █ ██
██ █ ████▄▄      ▀▀▀██ █ ██
██ █ █████▌        ▄██ ████
███▄█ █████▄▄   ▄▄███ █▀███
████▀█▄▀█████▌  ▀██▀▄█ ████
█████▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀   ▄▄█▀▄█████
████████▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████
█ █▀█ █▀█ █▀█  ▄  ▄▀▀ █   ▄▀█ ▀█▀ ▄▀▀ ▄███▄
█ █▀█ █ █ █ █ ▀█▀ ▀▀█ █   █ █  █  ▀▀█ ▀███▀
█ █▄█ █▄█ █▄█     ▄▄▀ ▀▄▄ █▄▀  █  ▄▄▀   
                                        █
████████████████████████████████████ 
███▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▀▀███ 
█▀▄██▀███▄▀██▀▄██▀███▄▀██▀▄██▀███▄▀████▄
█ █ ▀ ▀███ ██ █ ▀ ▀███ ██ █ ▀ ▀███ █████
█ ██    ▄█ ██ ██    ▄█ ██ ██    ▄█ █████
█▄▀██  ▀█▀▄██▄▀██  ▀█▀▄██▄▀██  ▀█▀▄████▀
███▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄▄▄███
████████████████████████████████████
▄███▄
▄███████▄
▄███████████▄
▐█████████████▌
▄█  █████████
▄█████████  ████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▀██████  ███████████▀
▄█  ██████████  ████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▀███████████████████████▀
███████
█████████████████████
..PLAY NOW..
       ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄█████▄
     ████████████████
 ▄▄▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████▄▄
▀█████████████████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ▄█▄      ██
    ▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄          ▄▄
    ▄▄▄███▄▄▄    ▄ ▄ ▄ ▀▀
     ▀ ▄█▄ ▀  ▀▄█ ▀█▀ █▄▀
    ▄▄  ▀     ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
    ▀▀        ▀██▀▀█▀▀██▀
         ██   ▀ ▀▄▀█▀▄▀ ▀
Tim101

Activity: 84
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 04:38:13 PM

Awesome thread! Thank you!
MrCryptHodl

Activity: 1078
Merit: 872

In Bitcoin We Trust

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2021, 08:31:42 PM

Hi teeGUMES ! hope you're fine !

i made a bitcoin collectible called MOON PASS, Hookzup1 tell me about you thread, so i want to know if i can send you one MOON PASS of your choice ?  Smiley

you can check on the "MOON PASS" link.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: