Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:44:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 Cards Work Individually but not together  (Read 302 times)
velma (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 24, 2020, 11:26:48 PM

I pulled six Nvidia cards off my rig to run six RX 580 MSI armor OC cards. Everything was working fine before I made the switch on the ASUS Z270-A motherboard.

I put a bios mod on each card and they get roughly 26.85 MH each. If I plug card one by itself into PCI slot 1, it will work fine all day. I have tried this with the other five cards as well, and they all work fine in PCI slot 1. If I plug card one into PCI slot 2 by itself, it recognizes the card, but it does not hash right and gives me several invalid shares.

Right now, I tried putting cards one through three in the first three PCI slots, the cards are recognized but it keeps giving me a GPU air watchdog signal and continuously reboots and restarts the miner.

Any suggestions what's wrong? I double checked all of my settings in bios and have Gen2 set as well 4G encoding enabled. Like I said, this was working fine for two years with Nvidia cards and now this problem when I tried to switch to AMD RX 580 cards.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
November 24, 2020, 11:47:17 PM

rx 580 should be getting more 30mhs.  Something is off....either the modded bios, oc/uv but something is not as it should be.
velma (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2020, 12:40:21 AM

What is the best way to mod the bios? I used to use the one-click method, but it wasn't working anymore.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
November 25, 2020, 01:20:39 AM
Last edit: November 25, 2020, 03:32:46 AM by miner29

Ive used SRBpolaris editor.  But there are editors some free some pay.

Try here

https://www.igorslab.de/en/red-bios-editor-and-morepowertool-adjust-and-optimize-your-vbios-and-even-more-stable-overclocking-navi-unlimited/3/
Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
November 26, 2020, 10:47:04 AM

I hope your motherboard isn't a AMD motherboard? I have a AMD motherboard that is 100% bad for mining with multiple graphics cards, I later find out that the AMD CPU had an integrated GPU that's causing all the drag down, I fixed this by shutting the integrated GPU down through the motherboard bios and my graphics card start showing good hash rates

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
November 26, 2020, 10:55:05 AM

I hope your motherboard isn't a AMD motherboard? I have a AMD motherboard that is 100% bad for mining with multiple graphics cards, I later find out that the AMD CPU had an integrated GPU that's causing all the drag down, I fixed this by shutting the integrated GPU down through the motherboard bios and my graphics card start showing good hash rates

Thats wrong, the integrated GPU does nothing with your hashrate. Every Intel CPU has iGPU and work. You made something wrong and nothing more.
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1412

View Profile
November 26, 2020, 03:22:35 PM

Some tests I would do if I were in your place ...

- restore the original GPU BIOS
- Test with stock clock and voltage

If the problem persists:

- Test Risers, PSU.
- look for software problems? Drivers?
Wotan Wipeout

Activity: 438
Merit: 27

View Profile
November 26, 2020, 09:22:54 PM

Buy a mining mainboard and relax.
Its not worth the trouble.
velma (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2020, 05:40:54 AM

I just tried flashing the bios, and it said to check the network connection.

When I'm starting up Hive OS, I also notice that it says there's no Internet connection. Yet, I can go into Windows and connect to the internet. I'm not sure what to do.

I also tried using Phoenix miner with Windows 10. Both the claymore miner and the Phoenix miner give an error message stating that the .exe is not recognized
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1412

View Profile
November 28, 2020, 01:53:21 AM

I also tried using Phoenix miner with Windows 10. Both the claymore miner and the Phoenix miner give an error message stating that the .exe is not recognized

Checked if windows does not have Windows Defender or any antivirus enabled?
Disable windows defender and extract the zip file again ... If it doesn't work, post more details about the error.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
November 28, 2020, 03:20:20 AM

This one is actually a mystery to me as well.

At first I would say to make sure your motherboard has enough lanes to support 6 PCIe, however you said you used 6 Nvidia cards previously and it worked. I would also say to run each one individually and make sure it works, which you did. Also since you re-used the same risers as what was on the Nvidia cards then that should also eliminate bad risers.

The BIOS flash and everything doesn't seem to be an issue since they work seperately but not together. It also probably is not a PSU problem since the same PSU worked with 6 GPUs so it should work no problem with 3 GPUs even it they use a little more power.

You sure you didn't damage anything when you took out the Nvidia GPUs and put in the AMDs?
JayDDee

Activity: 1400
Merit: 222

View Profile
November 28, 2020, 04:38:48 AM

This one is actually a mystery to me as well.

Excellent summary but the changing story doesn't help. I count 3 seperate, unrelated problems and only one of them is GPU related.

1. network problems

2. problems starting miner, "exe not recognized" whatever that means

3. miner watchdogs, the exe was obviously recognized

Does all this happen only with multiple AMD GPUs? First post said all worked fine, one at a time.

velma (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2020, 05:58:30 AM

In Windows 10, I tried turning off Defender, downloading Claymore miner, unzipped it and ran it. I get this message: EthDcrMiner64.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I switched over to Hive OS. Everything is okay until I get this red colored error message:

Network is off-line. Check your Internet connection.
Failed to start Walt for network to be configured.

I tried The card in the first three PCI slots and it just kept giving me that message in Hive OS.
velma (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2020, 06:06:40 AM

"Does all this happen only with multiple AMD GPUs? First post said all worked fine, one at a time."

Yes. I can see how this would be confusing.

When I started this thread, all of the cards were working by themselves. However,the next day when I came back to work on it, I messed around with the bios on card 1, and started getting the message: EthDcrMiner64.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file when trying to run the miner in Windows. I switched to card number two (not messing with the bios at all), and it was still giving me the message: EthDcrMiner64.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file in a Windows environment.

And the issue of it not working in Hive OS as I wrote in my previous post.

So the main issue now is this message in Windows 10 and it not working in Hive OS either.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: