Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:55:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I secure (backup) my Multibit wallet ?  (Read 1155 times)
Googlercoin (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 10:29:54 PM

Hi,

I am new to bitcoins and I did set up Multibit on my laptop to store some bitcoins. I did protect my wallet with a strong password. I am concerned by adopting a sound security strategy in order to minimize the risk of having my wallet hacked or loosing my bitcoins in case my computer would be damaged or robbed.

Currently, I do backup my wallet folder on 2 differents external USB drives.

I'd be glad to know about any suggestion to improve my security strategy. Thanks for sharing !

Gogglercoin
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:17:51 PM

I haven’t use Multibit, I use Armory, BitcoinQT and Blockchain.info. 
Armory offers the safest paper backup system I have seen, and for my BitcoinQT client I backup whenever I do a few transactions.  A strategy to consider when backing up is don’t always overnight you backups, used incremental versioning, you want to protect against 1) data corruption, 2) hardware failure and 3)theft, offline and online, so consider an additional option for long term storage that is resilient to all 3 vectors. 

I have already had the real scare of restoring a corrupt backed up wallet.dat file, it prompted me to put 1) above first.

You also want to consider a succession plan, what happens to your Bitcoin if you are run over by a buss tomorrow? Who can access your Bitcoin, here again Armory provides a great tool in backing up with a paper backup seed wallet with a distributed key. To protect against theft while ensuring your Bitcoin can’t be locked up in case of your death.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
digitalninja81

Activity: 91
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 11:29:41 AM

I was thinking that the best way to secure your bitcoins is to use cold wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: