Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:31:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help, thebitcoinreview has a major porblem  (Read 1088 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2011, 07:54:10 AM

the question has come up.

Why should i trust any of the reviews posted on thebitcoinreview.com?

right now all i can say is anyone can write a review for any listing, but only one review per listing (based on their ip), this means someone would have to change his ip to write many reviews for the same listing.... thus making the reviews somewhat reliable.

this isn't good enough.

anyone have better ideas on how i can establish trusted reviews

note this site is meant to be used by non-tech people, and so making a review should be painless and require no tech. skills

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 08:49:14 AM

Email validation before reviews go live should also help.
Ofcourse emails are like IP's, a dime a dozen, but it's one more loop.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2011, 09:08:48 AM

Email validation before reviews go live should also help.
Ofcourse emails are like IP's, a dime a dozen, but it's one more loop.

Thanks!

ya i thinking about that, all the ideas i came come-up with just make the user jump though hops to get the review online...
I wanted it to be Super easy to write a review, this is why i based it on ip so the user wouldn't even have to login.

I'm now toying with the idea of requiring a btc address & amount paid, as a proof of payment... needless to say this idea has problems aswell.

and / or

the more reviews they post the higher their reputation, the more impact their rating will have on the listings score.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2011, 03:26:15 AM

Paying came to my mind too, but users are less likely to pay X than a new business that needs quick reputation is.

I imagine a future where you sign nearly every posting (right click sign, easy as pie) and anyone can search the web for your other signed activity to make sure you are a person, and maybe even an honest one.

Of course just like bitcoin addresses you can make a new one any time and unlike bitcoin you won't as easily connect them unwittingly. Of course you could merge identities simply by stating it and signing with both keys.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 06:25:12 PM

use openID to verify. simple.
zellfaze

Activity: 141
Merit: 101

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 06:39:32 AM

A combination of the above could work.  Require that they use OpenID or an email address to make the post and then charge them something in Bitcoin (like 0.001 BTC).  The amount in Bitcoin has to be small enough to not really matter to most people, but just having it there will make it that much harder (and expensive) to post fake reviews.  Anytime you ask people to pull out money, no matter how little, it gets them thinking twice about what they are doing.

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: