Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:03:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Complicated networking configuration discussion.....  (Read 112 times)
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2018, 04:23:43 PM

Ok,

I'm going to try and articulate this properly....

I have two networks.   IP addresses are used as an example.

First one is the "Main network".  Attached is my DNS name and several personal services I run from this network.  One machine in this network is a VPN service for my second network.  I am using OpenVPN; and it has been extremely reliable.  The network layout is as follows:  Internet->Router->Devices. This router is set on 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

My second network is a remote network at another property.   It's network layout is as follows:  Internet->Router(With OpenVPN connection)->Devices.
When I connect to "the internet" from location 2;  it automatically connects to my OpenVPN TUN device (remote gateway is 10.8.0.1, 255.255.255.0, the OpenVPN default) and gets the IP 10.8.0.2 as assigned. (so far all as expected)
The router then shares that TUN connection to the internal network at location #2.

From location #2:  
I can ping 192.168.1.1 and administer that router, as well as other PC's on that internal network.  I can not see the network shared drives via browsing in windows networks.

From location #1:
Location #2 doesn't exist and is unreachable.

My ultimate goal is to have these two networks linked seamlessly.  

I know it should take some sort of custom routing tables or settings in my routers... I am just at a loss.   I have configured openVPN as per all of the documents out there;  as well as following several how-to's on "joining two networks with openvpn" and other such similar topics with no avail.

Now;
The router at location #1 is a Linksys new fancy $500 model with crazy amounts of wifi capability, and plenty of bells and whistles... not a problem there so far... Should be plenty configurable for my needs.    The server hosting the OpenVPN service is running a flavor of Debian Linux.

The "router" at location #2 is actually a server PC running ubuntu 16.14;  Using a USB connected modem, and is using the built in network manager for sharing the network coming in from TUN0 to the ETH0 port.  From there it connects to my 3com switch and disperses across my devices.

There is no way to properly "bridge" an ETH0 with TUN0 so that the local network #2 gets it's IP from the openVPN DHCP service that the router#2 gets it from;  that would take one layer off of my onion....    Does anyone know how to do this?

I would ultimately like to be able to browse shares and admin those remote machines at location #2;  from location #1;  without having to SSH into my openVPN server and try and talk to those devices... and even then, i can only talk to my machine that acts as router #2.

If I need to draw a photo with bubbles and lines... I can do.... but I think I have advocated my issues here.

Interested to hear possibilities for remedies.   I know there has to be a way to add some sort of routes that allow my devices connected to router #1 to be able to talk through to network #2.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sundayspecial

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 05:36:59 PM

am confused. Will have to read through this 4x and get back with something
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2018, 06:22:09 PM

am confused. Will have to read through this 4x and get back with something

Totally what I was expecting.

It's a complicated one.

Basically I am just trying to merge two internal networks at different locations using an openVPN service on a device thats inside network #1.

If my network #1 had a server instead of a router;  it would be one step less complicated... but i would still have the issue of the VPN's network, separating both network #1 and network #2 from being able to freely see and talk to devices on each other.

Since being on network #2 allows me to communicate to devices on network #1 (they are on the outbound to the internet so to speak),  It adds a layer of confusion that you can't ping a device that's on network #2; from network #1.    The only way I can do that is to ssh into the "router" pc for network #2, and from that terminal, I can ping and talk to the devices connected to its ethernet port... and that's pinging a network #2 device from network #2....  not what I need.

Part of this configuration goal is for farm maintenance.   Part of it is so that my family can access my countless terabytes of media and whatnot from their home(s) when It is able to be set up the way I want it.

This task isn't for the feint of heart.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: