Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:58:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Scrypt ASIC Miners be a bust?  (Read 573 times)
dyask (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 01:03:36 AM

It seems that many coins could just change the algorithm being used faster than ASIC miners will be able to keep up.   That might require hard forks of the block chains, still possibly less painful than letting ASICs rule the world.  On the other hand, ASIC miners will be less power hungry so probably some coins will stay the coarse, like perhaps LTC.  Already so much power pointed at it that it will take the ASIC miners some time to make a dent.   

So are we headed for a world where some scrypt coins are ASIC minable and most aren't?   If so it seems it would greatly reduce the value of a scrypt ASIC miner.   Seems like we are already seeing that with the hash rates being stepped up on the unreleased ASIC miners.   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheFridge

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 01:19:43 AM

Not necessarily, look at bitcoin. At the time the were only a couple of coins to mine with the asics. If you were in early enough it was extremely profitable

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:11:47 AM

It seems that many coins could just change the algorithm being used faster than ASIC miners will be able to keep up.   That might require hard forks of the block chains, still possibly less painful than letting ASICs rule the world.  On the other hand, ASIC miners will be less power hungry so probably some coins will stay the coarse, like perhaps LTC.  Already so much power pointed at it that it will take the ASIC miners some time to make a dent.   

So are we headed for a world where some scrypt coins are ASIC minable and most aren't?   If so it seems it would greatly reduce the value of a scrypt ASIC miner.   Seems like we are already seeing that with the hash rates being stepped up on the unreleased ASIC miners.   

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I think a better predictor of this is all out success or failure of cryptocurrency in general. If crypto is successful then GPUs and ASIC miners will remain viable just as they are now because even alternate currencies will prove valuable in reinforcing digital currency.  If it fails... there will be a lot more expensive paperweights in the world.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
dyask (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 06:08:20 AM

Not necessarily, look at bitcoin. At the time the were only a couple of coins to mine with the asics. If you were in early enough it was extremely profitable

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

No doubt that if coins keep using the same scrypt algorithms the people with ASIC miners will do well.   I'm wondering how many coins will change their algorithms.   My guess is some bigger coins will and the sicker coins won't hoping for the hashing.  In that case I wonder what the value of an scrypt ASIC miner will be.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: