Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:29:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is POW algo abandoned?  (Read 269 times)
Altcoinsintel

Activity: 342
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 01, 2020, 08:18:01 AM

PoW adds production cost to a coin. PoS means less production cost so prices will tend to be lower.
PoW: Fixed Cost (Hardware, air cooling,etc) + variable Cost (Electricity)
PoS: Investment and small cost of electricity to run a node

Electricity consumption with PoS is very low. It is an ecological version of mining and validating transactions.

In my opinion PoS makes prices lower as stakers will earn profit in lower prices from having to mine using PoW. We will see with Ethereum what will happen as right now prices are very high because of the 32ETH masternode required for staking.

I don't think that the PoW system has major weaknesses it is how crypto was working but it tends to be abandoned by coins that were useless anyway.
Eddyc

Activity: 1016
Merit: 391

View Profile
December 01, 2020, 09:47:20 AM

Over the years the POW has become unviable due to maintenance and energy costs in the past the requirement to mine was low and we were able to mine without having a large computational power to be able to mint some coins. However, with the dissemination and marketing around the world of Bitcoin, people, companies and large institutions started to become interested and seek to profit from mining, but this created a gigantic saturation.

Note* I write about projects that can do something for society. Now whether this will happen depends not on me, but on the project team. I'm just a writer... DYOR
Kvalentine

Activity: 504
Merit: 25

View Profile
December 01, 2020, 01:07:24 PM

Proof of work algorithm are fading away because almost all new projects today are going for POS instead and I don't see how this is bad because POS just do things better and easier, also devs on nowadays prefers tokens (ERC20) more than stand alone blockchain because it's just take few buttons to built, I'm not sure OP will find any good new altcoins to mine

montaga

Activity: 615
Merit: 264

Freedom, Natural Law

View Profile
December 01, 2020, 01:36:57 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2020, 01:54:41 PM by montaga

Proof of work algorithm are fading away because almost all new projects today are going for POS instead and I don't see how this is bad because POS just do things better and easier, also devs on nowadays prefers tokens (ERC20) more than stand alone blockchain because it's just take few buttons to built, I'm not sure OP will find any good new altcoins to mine

More garbage, PoW is not an algo.
There was a time when 3 new PoS coins arrived every day, none survived in a meaningful way to this day.
The very first, PoS  coin, Peercoin was once a top 3 coin, current rank #631
The very first  PoW->PoS coin Blackcoin was once as high as 9 current rank #1012 that is a fail by any standard.
The only thing produced now is tokens, cause just about anyone can make a flash web-page.

There is lots and lots of algorithms, here are some:
SHA256
Scrypt
X11
X13
X15
Lyra2RE
Script-Chacha
Script-N
Scrypt Jane
NeoScript
ZR5
Cryptonight
Blake-256
M7
Slingshot

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2020, 01:46:43 PM

I really do think so. I stopped hearing of pow middle of this year and ever then most privacy cooks or tokens in the market isn't doing well anymore and some have exited scam. I think for now it's out of the space and we are in defi space and NFT. Let's see how next year would be for privacy coins.
CaVO32

Activity: 1848
Merit: 158

View Profile
December 01, 2020, 09:05:58 PM

More garbage, PoW is not an algo.
There was a time when 3 new PoS coins arrived every day, none survived in a meaningful way to this day.
The very first, PoS  coin, Peercoin was once a top 3 coin, current rank #631
The very first  PoW->PoS coin Blackcoin was once as high as 9 current rank #1012 that is a fail by any standard.
The only thing produced now is tokens, cause just about anyone can make a flash web-page.

There is lots and lots of algorithms, here are some:
SHA256
Scrypt
X11
X13
X15
Lyra2RE
Script-Chacha
Script-N
Scrypt Jane
NeoScript
ZR5
Cryptonight
Blake-256
M7

Yes, I remember peercoin and blackcoin as I was collecting them from faucets. Now, I forgot what I did with those collected coins.  Grin Anyway, because times are changing and the popular platforms that a particular developer can build his project from is still eth and recently, on defi platforms. Stand-alone blockchain network is now seemingly left behind. But those top alts with own blockchain can still survive as long as they have active developments in place.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
December 01, 2020, 09:32:14 PM

I don't think that the PoW system has major weaknesses it is how crypto was working but it tends to be abandoned by coins that were useless anyway.
Those coins that are abandoning PoW doesn't really have what it takes to be declared as a good project. Whilst ETH has migrated from PoW to PoS, it is what its developers see as a solution for scale issues.
If PoW has major weaknesses in general then bitcoin isn't secured. Don't forget that bitcoin's consensus algorithm is pow.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Rowenta

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 02, 2020, 05:29:54 AM

New developers don't care about POW anymore because POW coins requires a different work or hardship (new blockchain, or cloning another old POW coin) and creating tokens is just too easy for them, nowadays staking is becoming more popular and it's completely easy to stake your coins in your wallet and earn weekly income than using electricity to mine coins

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
Greatdev

Activity: 266
Merit: 16

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
December 02, 2020, 10:08:05 AM

Have new projects abandoned proof of work algorithm or what? I can't find a single new project that is minable today, I'm only seeing junks, things are way different now compared to few years back, I was able to make profits out of mining few new coins, although some were dead, the reason why I'm looking for new coins to mine is difficulty rate, they will be lower comparing to mining ETH, kindly give advice
Most new projects are running through ERC20 smart contract, it's more easier for developers this way instead of building blockchain from ground up, present you can still mine few cryptonight coins like Bloc (BLOC) or Haven protocol (XHV) because they have less difficulty hashrate compare to Ethereum but profits aren't that different or even lower than what you'd earn mining Ethereum

Kopetunto

Activity: 630
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2020, 10:21:00 AM

POW has not been forgotten, but it is indeed popular with PoS,
when PoW is popular again then this algorithm will be used again by new projects in the future,
so take it easy, there are still many projects that still use this PoW algorithm.

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
BITDV
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
December 02, 2020, 12:03:04 PM

Pow still not abandoned, many popular coin still using pow, but i sure in 5 year we will leave pow and switch to POS/DPOS

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
montaga

Freedom, Natural Law

View Profile
December 02, 2020, 12:10:45 PM

.......... i sure in 5 year we will leave pow and switch to POS/DPOS
Some bad news for you, you are years late. Some years ago PoS (Proof of Shit) coins pop up like crazy, none survived in a meaningfull way, show me one in top 20
BTW creation time (birth) of PoS, , Thu, 16 Aug 2012 02:31:27 UTC aka a time prooven failure.
Inkdull

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 07:28:55 AM

Have new projects abandoned proof of work algorithm or what? I can't find a single new project that is minable today, I'm only seeing junks, things are way different now compared to few years back, I was able to make profits out of mining few new coins, although some were dead, the reason why I'm looking for new coins to mine is difficulty rate, they will be lower comparing to mining ETH, kindly give advice
I find a very good altcoin that's still new but unfortunately the mining difficulty is climbing up very fast, the name of this coin is Conflux and it's 24hrs volume on exchange is 279k, not bad IMO and the coin price is 0.12$, you can mine with graphics cards using Algorithm called Octopus

1. Miners that works
-BMINER
-NanoMiner
-NBminer
-TREX

2. Pools that supports the coin
-F2pool
-Nanopool

The earlier the better, I think this coin has some potential that's why many are mining, goodluck

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
jessyj48

Activity: 756
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 09:37:24 AM

Do your own research on the following altcoins, I'm currently mining few of this coins for probably future pumps

1. SERO.       ProgPow Sero algorithm
2. Mimble Wimble Coin.          CuckAToo31 algorithm.
3. Cortex CTXC.                     Cortex Algorithm
4. ZANO.                        ProgPowZ algorithm
5. VOLLAR.                     EquiHash+Scrypt

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
Byakuga

Activity: 518
Merit: 28

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 02:12:29 PM

Many well recognized altcoins are leaving proof of work algorithm behind for proof of stake, Ethereum is a good example but some few coins are still adopting POW till date too, I suggest you do your own research, you will find new projects you can mine using mining pools cos new altcoins are less popular, if you don't have good info you won't see them easily

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
montaga

Freedom, Natural Law

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 02:27:41 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2020, 02:38:18 PM by montaga

Many well recognized altcoins are leaving proof of work algorithm behind for proof of stake, Ethereum is a good example but some few coins are still adopting POW till date too, I suggest you do your own research, you will find new projects you can mine using mining pools cos new altcoins are less popular, if you don't have good info you won't see them easily
More junk, Ethereum created Eth2 Beacon chain a PoS coin, Ethereum will live on forever (when the last miner turns off its lights out)

PoW, Eth Genesis block  https://blockchair.com/ethereum/block/0 (Ethereum-chain 2015-07-30)
PoS, Eth2 Genesis block   https://beaconcha.in/block/0  (Beacon-chain 01/12/2020)
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 03:28:10 PM

Pow still not abandoned, many popular coin still using pow, but i sure in 5 year we will leave pow and switch to POS/DPOS
those are old coins but if you are seeing the new projects in the market and it's only small amounts of new coins that are still using POW as its main concensus. let's say that if the retio should be around 5 new POS coin : 1 New POW coin.
POW needs more and more enery from time to the time. It has become a very big problem. So many small miners can afford it and they are leaving from there. This time POW is not yet abandoned
aundroid
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1247

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 03:55:16 PM

Well, PoW has quite big entry barriers to participate in the consensus - for example you need cheap electricity, hall for mining etc.
PoS does not have these entry barriers but other problems like "Rich get richer".
I nevertheless still know a lot of projects that use PoW, so I really wouldn't say that it has been abandoned.

►►►     MY TOPICS     ◄◄◄
➤ Blockchain Basics - FAQ DE    ➤ [Guide] Protect your Crypto: Security tips for your home computer & network DE | EN    ➤ Crypto SCAM - HowTo protect yourself EN    ➤ [CHECKLISTE] zur Bewertung von ICOs  DE
➤ [Overview] Exchanges, IEOs and their ROIs DE | EN   ➤ [Howto] Use Ledger Nano as Security Key DE | EN    ➤ [OVERVIEW] Recommended Crypto Telegram Bots  DE | EN    ➤ [Overview] GUI Miner DE | EN
➤ Activity, Merit und Ranganforderungen im Forum DE    ➤ Alternativen zu Piggy's Notification Bot DE    ➤ [Howto] Give Bitcoin as a gift  DE | EN
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: