Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:11:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Years of Living on Bitcoin Alone. Can You Beat That? Is that even possible?  (Read 538 times)
globalcitizen (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 104

Decentralized global citizen and crypto-preneur

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 01:44:29 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2020, 02:25:45 AM by globalcitizen

Just a few hours ago I bumped into this story of a family that has lived on Bitcoin for 4 yrs travelling around 40 countries. That story did not just got me excited and motivated, but it also activated some doubts from within that I started to ask "how?". Was that even possible?

It is very rare to hear this kind of story but the interesting family claimed that this was made feasible after they had liquidated all their assets, from their retirement accounts and cars, to their clothes and toys, and bet it all on #Bitcoin in 2017 when it was valued at $900 per coin. Did you read that? Nine hundred dollars then! May be that could give the claim a kind of credibility after all. What do you think?

I would take my doubt to have been misplaced if some of you here can question the doubt by given some evidences that show that it is hundred percent possible to live a bitcoin life for four good years as the news has shown this beautiful family to have done.

Let us know what you think about this family's claim and may be tell us what and how you have spent your Bitcoins over the years.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
manfredmann

Activity: 518
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2020, 01:49:23 AM

If they are lucky enough to buy bitcoin from the start before the 2017 ATH recorded and has been able to profit and doing trade then yes, it is possible by trading they ewrb huge that if they invested also huge. However, there are many ways that they can earn in bitcoin like bounty hunting, they showcase their skills and much more like they started a platform for bitcoin users like gambling platform and earn until now. These are the may scenarion that may apply to them and they can live just by bitcoin alone as a means of living but this is very rare to happen.
globalcitizen (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 104

Decentralized global citizen and crypto-preneur

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 02:31:36 AM

If they are lucky enough to buy bitcoin from the start before the 2017 ATH recorded and has been able to profit and doing trade then yes, it is possible by trading they ewrb huge that if they invested also huge. However, there are many ways that they can earn in bitcoin like bounty hunting, they showcase their skills and much more like they started a platform for bitcoin users like gambling platform and earn until now. These are the may scenarion that may apply to them and they can live just by bitcoin alone as a means of living but this is very rare to happen.

Yes, their claim was that they liquidated all their assets including savings, retirement accounts, cars and clothes and bought bitcoin when the price was $900 in 2017. But my concern was how they were able to leave the investment there and spent only from their bitcoin holdings all these years with full confidence and trust. I must say it's an inspiring story if that was actually true.
GreatArkansas
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1345

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2020, 02:56:23 AM

They already making a lot of money even we will not include how much they bought when Bitcoin still at cheap prices.
As far as I know, they already got some sponsors for them, I saw before Didi Taihuttu which seems he is trading and got some sponsors for his videos, doing some interviews, giving his opinion, he is also a speaker, and a video blogger too.
Overall, I am really proud of this family, I hope they will able to manage their wealth accordingly.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Darker45
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1859

🙏🏼Padayon...🙏

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 03:22:19 AM

I got confused. I thought by living on Bitcoin alone you meant that the family has only Bitcoin as their currency for four years, that they buy all their stuff using Bitcoin alone. I guess by living on Bitcoin alone you actually meant the family is living off from their Bitcoin income alone for four years.

That's very possible. If they bought Bitcoin at around $900 with all their assets, then they have really made a big money out of it. They must have bought Bitcoin in the first quarter of 2017. That year alone finished with their investment growing at least 22x or more than 2000%. Even with the plunging of Bitcoin's price after 2017, they still made profit because Bitcoin's price never came back below 4-digit.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3831

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 03:36:52 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I got confused. I thought by living on Bitcoin alone you meant that the family has only Bitcoin as their currency for four years, that they buy all their stuff using Bitcoin alone. I guess by living on Bitcoin alone you actually meant the family is living off from their Bitcoin income alone for four years.

Take note that "living on bitcoin alone" probably doesn't necessarily mean that you need to pay for everything with bitcoin. I have no doubt that there were definitely a lot of instances where the family needed to sell a bit of bitcoin for fiat just to be able to pay for stuff. But regardless, even if they needed to sell some bitcoin, it should still be considered as "using bitcoin" because they're pretty much using bitcoin as their main savings currency. It shouldn't be no different than converting USD to JPY when going to Japan.

One avid Bitcoiner, Max Hillebrand, has been "living on bitcoin" for a while now and he admitted that he needed to sell some bitcoin from time to time to pay for stuff. If you're interested, here's a podcast episode with him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4efTaFCt8

With that said, the family took a huge risk, but it paid off. Definitely not something I would personally do but congratulations to them.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Upgrade00
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174

Professional Community manager

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2020, 04:11:52 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4), vapourminer (1)

If they are lucky enough to buy bitcoin from the start before the 2017 ATH recorded
I do not consider this to be luck at all, they took a deliberate decision to buy Bitcoin, while risking a lot, without any assurance that there would be return on their investment or that the supposed profits would be worth the huge risk. This was in no way luck, a lot of people at the time know about Bitcoin, but only a tiny few would have been as audacious and maybe as reckless as this family.

Take note that "living on bitcoin alone" probably doesn't necessarily mean that you need to pay for everything with bitcoin. I have no doubt that there were definitely a lot of instances where the family needed to sell a bit of bitcoin for fiat just to be able to pay for stuff. But regardless, even if they needed to sell some bitcoin, it should still be considered as "using bitcoin" because they're pretty much using bitcoin as their main savings currency. It shouldn't be no different than converting USD to JPY when going to Japan.
I was also thinking same, that they transacted entirely in Bitcoin for four years. In this way, it is not surprising at all as Bitcoin made a lot of people rich during the last all time high and while they may not be as peculiar as this family who were entirely iito Bitcoin, they all profited from it.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Innerpumper

Activity: 1021
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2020, 04:17:28 AM

Let us know what you think about this family's claim and may be tell us what and how you have spent your Bitcoins over the years.

That's so amazing, they can predict the very right thing at the time, in fact we see bitcoin reach $18k in 2017 they only keep their assets in bitcoin in the next few months that will make them able to interfere for 4 years without working. I myself even regretted the same year and regretted why having to sell assets early in the next few months was soaring to hundreds of times the profit. It's not too late! there are many more concepts of bitcoin that can be excavated, for example, hardfork, now that we are in the Era of DeFi, What's Next?

▀█████▄▀██▄▀█▄          H   E   L   E   N   A          ▀▄▀             501,652% APY             ▄█▀▄██▀▄█████▀
▀██▄                  |        TWITTER        |      TELEGRAM      |        DISCORD        |                  ▄██▀
▀█▄        The Best in Space Auto-Compounding DeFi 3.0 Protocol on BSC        ▄█▀
plr

Activity: 1148
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 05:43:02 AM

Yes, their claim was that they liquidated all their assets including savings, retirement accounts, cars and clothes and bought bitcoin when the price was $900 in 2017. But my concern was how they were able to leave the investment there and spent only from their bitcoin holdings all these years with full confidence and trust. I must say it's an inspiring story if that was actually true.

That's thinking forward in the future and it actually pays off imagine $900 and $19000 price now is such a big difference, that's such a huge profit but it will only be a big profit if they are still holding majority of their Bitcoin, this is a good example of trusting in the future of Cryptocurrency I'm pretty sure this is not an isolated case and there are a lot of stories like this.
ChrisPop
Legendary

Merit: 1033

Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 06:23:23 AM

Yeah, I think it is mostly possible to live only by using Bitcoin with some exceptions. I'm skeptic that they have the ability to pay taxes using Bitcoin. That would imply their government to accept Bitcoin as a method of payment which I haven't heard of so far. I think what they did is a reckless move. You just can't liquidate everything and go ALL-IN into Bitcoin. Personally I don't think they actually did that. They probably had a backup savings account somewhere or a family relative who owns a house and assets in their name or smth like that...

They deserve congratulations for promoting Bitcoin and thinking of the idea, though.
Josefjix

Activity: 1176
Merit: 286

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 06:31:09 AM

It is very possible whereas they have the patience and understanding of how the movement is. I remember when I first did transaction on Bitcoin in 2016 it was still valued at $1,000. If they actually got it stuck up till this very moment they will be super rich to afford every kind of lifestyle they so wish for.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBITCRYPTO
FUTURES
[
1,000x
LEVERAGE
][
COMPETITIVE
FEES
][
INSTANT
EXECUTION
]██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRADE NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
btc_angela

Activity: 2604
Merit: 542

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 06:47:53 AM

This story has been in this community for years already, I still remember it was the hype of 2017 when this news went out and people are calling them crazy. Because we all know how volatile bitcoin is. But I'm glad that they did make it through the bear market and now that we are in the upswing again, maybe just maybe this family will survived again.

Edit: Ok I think I've found one thread: This family bet it all on Bitcoin.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
ice18

Activity: 2492
Merit: 542

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 07:45:28 AM

I already read this story few times ago the lucky family who decided to buy bitcoin with all their assets and continue traveling the world without permanent home and using only bitcoin for expenses I dont know if this is really possible to just use btc now with no fiats at all I search it in YT and you can see their adventure on their YT channel https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBitcoinfamily/videos

eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 08:51:05 AM

I already read this story few times ago the lucky family who decided to buy bitcoin with all their assets and continue traveling the world without permanent home and using only bitcoin for expenses I dont know if this is really possible to just use btc now with no fiats at all I search it in YT and you can see their adventure on their YT channel
I am not sure whether you can call them lucky, they took the risk selling everything they had and invest in BTCitcoin and everyone had the opportunity to do that if they really trusted and wanted to take a risk  Grin. I will not take that kind of risk and then travel the world living in tents but one thing that the risk made them is popularity as many news publication published their journey.
ChrisPop
Legendary

Merit: 1033

Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 09:11:51 AM

I am not sure whether you can call them lucky, they took the risk selling everything they had and invest in BTCitcoin and everyone had the opportunity to do that if they really trusted and wanted to take a risk  Grin. I will not take that kind of risk and then travel the world living in tents but one thing that the risk made them is popularity as many news publication published their journey.

Definitely. From what I have read they have a background in marketing. So this might have been a disguised investment in advertising. They not only managed to start a content creation business just by changing some of their assets in Bitcoin, but they managed to travel the world at the same time. Pretty intelligent if you ask me and not that risky if you think about it.
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 09:52:48 AM

if i'm not mistaken this becomes controversial Back in 2017 when the price of Bitcoin is climbing high then the Interview about this family comes out
that they sell everything that they have and even clothing (in which i questioned coz how much an used clothing Value) and i doubt that
i can do this by myself,I trust Bitcoin and i have been accumulating little by little for long but I had family to fed and i can't survive
without a concrete income monthly.

This decision is really life changing because at any point they can lose everything and start from nothing,But of course Knowing bitcoin
this will not dropping forever.

If the family comes Good now then Congratulation but If there is others that planning to do same?
Please think over and over before making final decision.
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 10:12:32 AM

If I am not mistaken, I had read their story earlier also but can't remember when and where! But this news is not new in any way!

I wouldn't say that living entirely on bitcoin is impossible but super risky! I joined bitcoin market when it's value was just $300, but I couldn't take such risk to liquidate my entire cash flow into bitcoin! I would have become a millionaire if I had done that, but couldn't accept the risk that comes with such kind if uncertain investment.

I am glad that a family had accepted that risk and doing just fine! Also they are promoting bitcoin in their own way. Fortune favors the brave!

Wysi

Activity: 1624
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 10:20:17 AM

I don't have any doubts about the family transacting only in bitcoin for 4 years if they got lucky during 2017 bullrun and they took risk of liquidating their asset including some of basic stuffs which paid them back. But I don't think it's possible due to the current price of bitcoin. There are so many other individuals who have been benefited in similar way so there is not even a bit of doubt which could cross my mind.

Wexnident

Activity: 2520
Merit: 665

I don't take loans, ask for sig if I ever do.

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 10:32:59 AM

It doesn't seem like everything was done through Bitcoin. Everything they spent came from their Bitcoin assets, and they tried paying through Bitcoin as well, but it mostly lead to situations where they had to find a better alternative. Just from those lines, you can already see that they may have lived off of Bitcoin for years, but not necessarily paid everything with Bitcoin. Just recounting to back when they started going for Bitcoin, adoption was quite small, only a few stores accept Bitcoin, not to mention countries. I guess you could say that they made quite the heck out of a few negotiations here and there just to force their way of using Bitcoin as payment, though those negotiations just lead to probably having a third party convert BTC to fiat.

Nonetheless, props to them for their decision. Having the guts to do that with an asset with an unknown future, you could guess this literally was the ride that they had for their lives.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
newwest

Activity: 686
Merit: 26

★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 10:44:18 AM

I already read this story few times ago the lucky family who decided to buy bitcoin with all their assets and continue traveling the world without permanent home and using only bitcoin for expenses I dont know if this is really possible to just use btc now with no fiats at all I search it in YT and you can see their adventure on their YT channel https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBitcoinfamily/videos

I do not even know how many of us can even think of selling everything and just buy bitcoin and live on it. I am sure they would have used fiat somewhere or other because not many countries have even accepted bitcoin fully and everything you can get on bitcoin. But it is really inspiring that even if they would have survived majority of the things while paying bitcoin which itself is incredible.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: