Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:01:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappearing Bitcoins[Solved by updating the client]  (Read 2392 times)
BookLover (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 02:36:35 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2011, 05:56:16 PM by BookLover

have you made more than 100 sends since last backup?  
No.

I copied the encrypted wallet.  Put the original back in the safe.  Unencrypted the copy.  Put the wallet copy in an empty client.  Sent some coins.  Deleted the copy.

try running with -rescan parameter one time using your main (original) wallet, the transactions are saved in the wallet file so if the original didn't see one of them but has the priv key from reserve then it should appear and balance updated correctly
The original wallet is gone, and I tried rescanning the unencrypted wallet multiple times.

I'm missing something here.  Doesn't the wallet key pool prevent this from happening unless you have over 100 transactions since you last backup??
Yes, if the pool isn't empty. But if you've never sent any bitcoins, the pool will be empty. (The client creates 100 *extra* keys when it creates a key for a transaction.) Because these rules are complicated to understand and easy to get wrong, I make my advice clear and simple -- unless you understand the rules exactly, always backup your wallet after sending.
I've sent coins before.

I copied the encrypted wallet.  Put the original back in the safe.  Unencrypted the copy.  Put the wallet copy in an empty client.  Sent some coins.  Deleted the copy.

Are you able to find the transaction for the coins you sent in block explorer? (I don't need to see it, but if you can find it we can check to see if you have the keys for the account used to collect the change from that transaction).

Also, as others asked— how many times did you send+ hit getnewaddress since you made the encrypted copy?  A few or potentially as many as 100?

I found it. How do I check if I have the keys?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 08:10:15 PM

The version is 0.3.15.4 beta

0.3.15 is pretty old, and the way you're spending from a copy of the wallet is, I suspect, confusing it.  Pieter updated the wallet code to handle transactions with partially spent outputs a while back.

Try upgrading to version 0.4.1 or 0.5 and running -rescan and see if your missing bitcoins reappear.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
BookLover (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 11:18:10 PM

Updated to version 0.3.21-beta and all my coins reappeared!!! Hurray!!! Smiley Cheesy Grin Thanks everyone!!!

simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 11:50:05 PM

Good to hear Smiley

As for my issue, nothing I did got that 1BTC to confirm.  I rescanned the wallet several times, and I redownloaded the blockchain again (takes about 30 hours, horrible).   It just wouldn't confirm.

I ended up restoring my backup of the wallet and that txn has now gone (as expected, as it wasn't registered anywhere).   Whatever, I'll chalk that one up to randomness, and I'll remember not to issue a transaction midway through the blockchain download in future.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: