Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:50:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why localbitcoins dont need KYC ?  (Read 3911 times)
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 02:32:59 PM

Why localbitcoins dont need KYC ? Moreover they are being used across the continents. Dont they need to adhere by every country's law ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:32:07 PM

any idea ?

WetSeals

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:33:27 PM

You don't buy or sell to them. They match you with a trade partner. Its like craigslist with escrow.
redwhitenblue

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:38:57 AM

Why localbitcoins dont need KYC ? Moreover they are being used across the continents. Dont they need to adhere by every country's law ?

It is the buyer's responsibility to adhere to KYC/AML laws.

Localbitcoins simply connects buyers with sellers and acts as an escrow service.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:35:14 PM

They facilitate private transactions between private parties. There is nothing illegal about it. I might consider hosting it offshore if it were me though.

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 04:32:57 AM

Localbitcoins simply connects buyers with sellers and acts as an escrow service.

"It is the buyer's responsibility to adhere to KYC/AML laws."

Yeah, right.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Bubbles06

Activity: 66

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:20:33 PM

I'm a bit worried that the government will stick it's head in localbitcoins business.

It would really be a shame for something to happen to such a great site/service.

I hope they've checked everything out with a good lawyer or two.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:54:54 PM

I'm a bit worried that the government will stick it's head in localbitcoins business.

It would really be a shame for something to happen to such a great site/service.

I think they are safe for now, though I would never store BTC in my localbitcoins wallet for any extended period of time.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 12:52:29 AM

I think they are safe for now, though I would never store BTC in my localbitcoins wallet for any extended period of time.

IMHO, anyone who stores BTC in any wallet but their own deserves what they get.

Corporations For Crypto
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:41:49 AM

Yeah, right.

Wink

It is actually the seller's responsibility for KYC/AML laws as they are the ones accepting the cash.

To say that the buyer is responsible is like saying that you need to get the bank's info when you deposit money into your account.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 02:48:57 AM

Yeah, right.

Wink
If the buyer does not follow AML procedures/laws then he is facing serious potential consequences.

There was a case in FL when a undercover police officer bought bitcoin off a man at huge preiums and was arrested for money laundering.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 02:52:12 AM

This so it is important to make sure your client is legit and to meet in a public place to trade.
And be careful to report in compliance to AML/KYC or that one guy might be the one that was the undercover cop Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
InwardContour

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:52:00 AM

This so it is important to make sure your client is legit and to meet in a public place to trade.
And be careful to report in compliance to AML/KYC or that one guy might be the one that was the undercover cop Smiley
What exactly do you mean by "report in compliance" as you would essentially need a money transmitter license to comply with AML laws/regulations
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:01:46 AM

What exactly do you mean by "report in compliance" as you would essentially need a money transmitter license to comply with AML laws/regulations

No you would not this is only in regards to taxation I meant make sure to declare your taxes but I guess it varies by region

This would likely qualify as Barter or Investing profits
But it would depend on how much volume you trade I guess
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bitcoins-aren-t-tax-exempt-revenue-canada-says-1.1395075

When you sell [the bitcoins], they will deposit that in your account," said Chavady. "As soon as it turns into Canadian dollars, it's back in the eyes of the CRA and everybody else. If you get a big deposit of $10,000, or $100,000, [CRA is] going to say, 'Hey, where did that come from?'"

Indeed, the tax man has already thought of that.

The CRA told the CBC there are two separate tax rules that apply to the electronic currency, depending on whether they are used as money to buy things or if they were merely bought and sold for speculative purposes.   

"Barter transaction rules apply where bitcoins are used to purchase goods or services," Canada Revenue Agency spokesman Philippe Brideau said in an email.

Barter is the exchange of one good for another good without the use of cash, such as when a farmer who grows vegetables trades with another who raises chickens. Many Canadians don't realize such exchanges are taxable, but they are.

Paragraph 3 of the CRA's Interpretation Bulletin IT-490 clearly states that in a barter transaction between arm’s-length persons, "we generally consider that the value of whatever is received is at least equal to the value of whatever is given up."

In the above example, that means whatever you've received in exchange for your $1 worth of vegetables must be documented as a taxable gain of at least $1 somewhere.

When it comes to trading bitcoins for profit, the tax man says there are tax implications there, too.

"When bitcoins are bought or sold like a commodity, any resulting gains or losses could be income or capital for the taxpayer depending on the specific facts," ruled the CRA.

That section is covered in paragraphs nine through 32 of the CRA's section IT-479R, Transactions in Securities, "which provide general comments for purposes of determining whether transactions are income or capital in nature."

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
MyPotPlantDied

Activity: 71

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 06:26:46 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if one day some alphabet soup agency sets up a honey pot on localbitcoins and goes after people doing large transactions. They'll simply say that those people are big bad terrorists.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 06:31:23 PM

Yeah, right.

Wink

yeah, it's funny until you get scammed, get a bank account locked with your money inside and 2 cops knock at your door when you have guests inside to invite you for a chat...  Grin

(edit): but you're right: the risk/AML obligation is all on the seller's side
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 12:28:59 AM

One day you people will figure out that you need guys like myself and my buddies.

Guys who know how to legally get around things.

Been gone for a while due to health issues but everything is OK now.

Just kind of took a break from the madness of crypto!

Corporations For Crypto
vervolioman

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 12:45:41 AM

"Barter transaction rules apply where bitcoins are used to purchase goods or services," Canada Revenue Agency spokesman Philippe Brideau said in an email.

Barter is the exchange of one good for another good without the use of cash, such as when a farmer who grows vegetables trades with another who raises chickens. Many Canadians don't realize such exchanges are taxable, but they are.

Thats why you should have both, grow vegetables and raise chickens. Clearly advantage over just having farm or chickens.

About the localbitcoins, shouldnt by this logic bitcointalk have KYC licence as well when in market section there are trade offers by members and matched by buyers. Quite similar to localbitcoins...

What use is a signature?
InwardContour

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 03:20:58 AM

Thats why you should have both, grow vegetables and raise chickens. Clearly advantage over just having farm or chickens.

About the localbitcoins, shouldnt by this logic bitcointalk have KYC licence as well when in market section there are trade offers by members and matched by buyers. Quite similar to localbitcoins...
both the marketplace section and local bitcoins are nothing more then a venue that people can meet at that have similar goals (trade bitcoin). It would be no different then if a certain park or restaurant was a common place that people met at to trade .
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 08:38:58 PM

Next thing we'll have to do AML/KYC when we sell our old cars!

Corporations For Crypto
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: