Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 09:37:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best PSU for Antminer S1  (Read 3584 times)
AlextheBitcoiner (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:15:25 PM

I just ordered five Antminer S1 units and I have some questions regarding the "Best" power supply (PSU)

Option 1). A single 500 watt power supply dedicated to one Antminer S1
Option 2). A single 850 watt power supply dedicated to two Antminer S1

If I decide to go with either option, would I be alright?
Thanks so much! Best regards, AlextheBitcoiner
Tikii

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:20:45 PM

I currently do Option 2. And everything works fine.
Pcpoet

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Cryptocurrency Rules man!

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:22:32 PM

I use 850 watt for two and it's been working fine .

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

“Yabba Dabba Doo!!”- Fred Flintstone
pbj sammich

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:08:47 PM

To answer your question, yes either option would work fine.

I would choose option 2 though (despite being more expensive), since you have multiple. If you go option one, thats 5 PSU's and 5 power cords to contend with etc...
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:22:15 AM

Remember that you can't just go by the watt rating alone.

This PSU is technically 850W, and it has enough PCIe plugs to handle 2 Ants, but there are some major issues! First, load balancing the rails would be a giant PITA. Second, I wouldn't guarantee the quality. And third, and most importantly, it can only handle 720W (60A) for all of the 12v rails combined. This is barely enough to handle the 2 Ants at stock, and you wouldn't be able to OC at all. Consider this a PSU to stay way from.

On the flip side, you have this PSU. Same max wattage, same number of PCIe plugs, but it's a strong (70A) single rail (no load balance, and no OC limits), and it's by a more reputable company. You could easily handle 2 Ants on this PSU with no worries.

If you really want something that's simple amazing, try this PSU. It's very similar to the one above, but is 92% efficient (80Plus Gold), and is completely modular. You would be hard pressed to find a better PSU for 2 Ants.

In short, don't skimp on the PSU. It has the ability to make your mining ventures a constant pain in your neck, or it has the ability to make your rigs completely rock solid.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 12:39:11 AM

This PSU is technically 850W, and it has enough PCIe plugs to handle 2 Ants, but there are some major issues! First, load balancing the rails would be a giant PITA. Second, I wouldn't guarantee the quality. And third, and most importantly, it can only handle 720W (60A) for all of the 12v rails combined. This is barely enough to handle the 2 Ants at stock, and you wouldn't be able to OC at all. Consider this a PSU to stay way from.

On the flip side, you have this PSU. Same max wattage, same number of PCIe plugs, but it's a strong (70A) single rail (no load balance, and no OC limits), and it's by a more reputable company. You could easily handle 2 Ants on this PSU with no worries.

If you really want something that's simple amazing, try this PSU. It's very similar to the one above, but is 92% efficient (80Plus Gold), and is completely modular. You would be hard pressed to find a better PSU for 2 Ants.

In short, don't skimp on the PSU. It has the ability to make your mining ventures a constant pain in your neck, or it has the ability to make your rigs completely rock solid.

If you shop around you will want a single rail IMHO.  After messing with a TON of options, I nailed it down to CX750s. One can power two overclocked antminer S1s

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:58:37 AM

If you shop around you will want a single rail IMHO.  After messing with a TON of options, I nailed it down to CX750s. One can power two overclocked antminer S1s
Yep, both of the recommendations I suggested were single rail. Those CX750s are only Bronze not Gold, they're not modular, and then ony have 62A available. They'll power 2 Ants, but not with crazy OCs, and you won't have much breathing room. Not a bad choice, but there are better if you're willing to spend just a few $ more.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 02:51:16 AM

The CX750 is a good power supply.  That being said I would hesitate to use it for two overclocked ants.  That is a little tight and it may not last as long.  It would be fine with non-overclocked.  The 850 is more expensive but a better choice for two overclocked ants. 

bitterdog

Activity: 728
Merit: 503

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:15:42 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2014, 03:59:00 PM by bitterdog

If you shop around you will want a single rail IMHO.  After messing with a TON of options, I nailed it down to CX750s. One can power two overclocked antminer S1s

No way.
I have 2 overclocked @375 ants on a 850w corsair tx850 pulling 824 watts with a extra 120mm fan on each

▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀███████████████
██████████▄   ▀█████████████
████████████▄   ▀███████████
██████████████▄   ▀█████████
█████████████▀   ▄██████████
███████████▀   ▄████████████
██████████▄  ▄██████████████
███████████████████████████
 ▀████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀▀▀

⬢⬢

⬢⬢

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄██████████▀▀▀█▀█▄
██ ▀█████▀     ▀██
██▌   ▀▀▀      ███
███▄           ███
████▀         ████
▀████▄     ▄▄████▀
   ▀▀▄▄▄▄████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  ▐███
██████▀▀  ▄   ████
███▀   ▄█▀   ▐████
████▄▄█▀     █████
▀█████▌ ▄▄▄ ▐████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄███████▀   ▐████▄
████████  ▄███████
██████      ██████
████████  ████████
████████  ████████
▀███████  ███████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄██▀█▀███▄▄
▄███▀▀▀ ▀ ▀▀█████▄
██████ ████▄ █████
██████ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████
██████ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████
██████ ████▀ █████
▀███▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄█████▀
   ▀▀██▄█▄███▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████
GordonBM

Activity: 137

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 07:42:33 AM

I run 3 overclocked S1's on 2 RM750's.
Not a single problem.

I got hacked by some Syrian faggot and now I have negative feedback.
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:24:08 AM

I would recommend dell server psu as they are very efficient. They are also cheap like 10£ on eBay some cables and no need for pcie connectors just use the other connector. So now us have a server grade psu for 10£. All my ants use this setup.
Good luck,
JT
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:59:06 PM

Option 2 is better than the option 1.
bbxx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 10:23:52 AM

http://www.alternate.co.uk/html/search.html?query=lepa+800&x=0&y=0

808W from wall at 2 375 ants Smiley

no problem,

got few of them for sale

asking 80$ each

or xfx bronze 850W one rail

100$ each

shipped from EU to EU

orginal boxes

shipping 20$ /unit
bittawm
Legendary

Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 03:25:31 AM

so this cx750 can run 2 ants??? isnt power draw like 800watts

@bittawm is my real telegram
@bittawm is my real twitter
beware of impersonators
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:03:45 AM

You can put 2 Antminer S1's on one 750Watt, stock clock. If you want to OC your S1's, then you will need the 850W Corsairs at least.
fractalbc

Activity: 192

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:31:00 AM

I just ordered five Antminer S1 units and I have some questions regarding the "Best" power supply (PSU)

Option 1). A single 500 watt power supply dedicated to one Antminer S1
Option 2). A single 850 watt power supply dedicated to two Antminer S1

You will be all right with either option.

I would pick the one that is the least expensive over the life of the project.  That is : cost of supply + cost of electricity - convenience factor of single vs multiple supplies - resale value of supply

Every time I give in and work this out for someone they always come back with "but I live in Brazil and can not get that brand and my electricity costs ...".

A short summary is that in my experience, running the numbers, you are better off with one supply per miner up to about 3, maybe 4 S1's, at which point you save money by learning how to use server power supplies.  The exact cutoff varies bases on your knowledge of electronics and where you live.  The "n+1" load balancing server supplies really are the way to go for more than a few units.
herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:26:40 AM

I just bought a Corsair RM1000 to power 2 overclocked S1's. Is this overkill?
pmorici

Activity: 479

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:37:00 AM

If you shop around you will want a single rail IMHO.  After messing with a TON of options, I nailed it down to CX750s. One can power two overclocked antminer S1s

No way.
I have 2 overclocked @375 ants on a 850w corsair tx850 pulling 824 watts with a extra 120mm fan on each

The wattage rating of a PSU is typically  the _output_ power when you are measuring using a kill-a-watt you are measuring the input power.  A typical supply like the CX750 is 80% efficient so at full load you would expect a kill-a-watt to read 750 / 0.80 = 937.5 Watts  the CX750 is definatly right on the edge when fully loaded but still slightly under its rated capacity.  That said I sold all my ATX supplies and replaced them all with server supplies like the HP DPS-800GBA, like half the price or less for 100 Watts more power and equal efficiency.
Thyatis

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 04:01:01 AM

http://alturl.com/sfgdn
Corsair RM Series 850 Watt
is the best commercial one i have found

My Reputation information   | [/color]
Contact Information -  Google Talk & Email - thyatis@thyatis.com |
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:36:19 PM

No way.

Interesting... I've got 2 Corsair TX850w PSUs but I thought they would only handle 3 Antminers between the two of them. I'll have to try this out when they arrive. Can you post a picture of your setup?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: