Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:43:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel about altcoin long-term performance?  (Read 847 times)
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
December 19, 2020, 10:01:13 PM

Bitcoin is already 20% higher than it's previous ATH: $20,000 -> $24,000

Ethereum is 2 times lower than its ATH in USD and more than 4 times lower than its BTC ATH. Bcash used to cost a whopping $12,000 at one moment, now it costs $300. XRP went from $3 to $0.6

And these are top coins, so I'm not even going to start recounting how many coins went to zero in the last few years.

It's pretty clear that holding any altcoin for years will lose your money, either by losing compared to BTC, or by straight up losing USD value.
HodlerKing101

Activity: 199
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 04:38:16 AM

I won't even be that worried for those top coins, we know that once BTC slows down, that's when these altcoins will start to rise up. I have a feeling that especially ETH will start pumping next.

Regarding long-term performance, you can see from coins that are doing continuous progress despite being the space for so very long. Everyone thought that ETH will pump up after the ETH 2.0 launch but it didn't, you just have to be patient, similar to coins that are doing the same thing (continuously making progress) like NAV. It's currently at 500th on CMC but you can see it slowly getting back up and getting on in the front seat from their AMA with Binance.
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2338
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2020, 04:50:27 AM

Ethereum is 2 times lower than its ATH in USD and more than 4 times lower than its BTC ATH. Bcash used to cost a whopping $12,000 at one moment, now it costs $300. XRP went from $3 to $0.6

And these are top coins, so I'm not even going to start recounting how many coins went to zero in the last few years.
Bitcoin dominates the marketcap and capital flow on the market. Bitcoin has better long-term performance than altcoins but if shit DeFi tokens can get much hype in this year, I expect to see top altcoins climb to their all time highs again. Break through all time highs and set up new records will be crazy. I think altcoins can do it next year.

It's pretty clear that holding any altcoin for years will lose your money, either by losing compared to BTC, or by straight up losing USD value.
You are right as they can climb to all time highs in USDT along with a ride from BTC, but in their BTC values I am not sure. If top altcoins reach their all time highs in 2018 with BTC values, it will mean their USDT values might hit a new all time highs, and they are double of 2018 values.
Claudio99

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 06:42:14 AM

Don't worry yourself, bitcoin isn't done yet that's why all altcoins are still not pumping big like they did in 2018, bitcoin have to get done before shifting the power to altcoins, all what's happening presently is simply opportunities to buy more altcoins, once bitcoin is done altcoin season will begin, the dominance is still very high so it might take longer before bitcoin runs out of power

CryptoLing

Activity: 493
Merit: 28

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 06:50:32 AM

Eventually altcoins will keep up to Bitcoin, especially in the top 100.
Personally I will trade altcoin JUST to earn more Bitcoin. For long term, I'm just holding Bitcoin and Ethereum
livingfree

Activity: 2800
Merit: 578

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 07:08:03 AM

Only a very few alt would perform with bitcoin's dominance. Ethereum, for me, is quite good this time. The price it has been with before is too low and seeing it $600 would make me feel confident about it. Investing on bitcoin first is the safest option and the next option if one wants to invest in altcoins would be the choice of Ethereum.

I agree on this. For most altcoins, invested is about to lose that's why bitcoin is the safe haven for investing in crypto.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
husdemba

Activity: 1302
Merit: 115

Pepemo.vip

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 07:36:31 AM

It is obvious that the most secure investment is Bitcoin. Even today, most of the altcoins are on the decline while Bitcoin is up a little. Maybe very few altcoins will be valuable in the future, but Bitcoin will always be the most preferred coin.

Phoenix_PROG

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 07:38:09 AM

Let's for once stop comparing 2020 bullrun with that of 2017 because they are very different, the triggered the bullrun in 2017 is different to what triggered this year bullrun, don't expect them to perform the exact same way, altcoin season will come for sure but probably not this year anymore because bitcoin is still very bullish, no altcoin season if Bitcoin is still going up
Phoenix_PROG

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 07:42:38 AM

The truth is altcoins aren't good for a very long term hold, you can easily figure this out looking at what happened to every good projects in 2017 compared to today's market value, the opportunities surrounding altcoins aren't that for long time, bitcoin stands apart from other altcoins clearly
Psynthax

Activity: 2296
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 07:58:33 AM

I mean it's not fair to compare the ATH between bitcoin and alts while they all have their own cycle.
But, if we are talking about its long term prospect since the alts was released more specifically the major coins it's already satisfying enough.

The dilemma of holding alts for long term is that it can be crushed anytime bitcoin make a move which is kinda bafd.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Kupid002

Activity: 1036
Merit: 329

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 08:02:17 AM

Don't compare it how it lose in USD value or in BTC value. It always depend how much you enter in that currency for example if you bought ethereum in early this year which is around 100$ you already earn almost 500% of your investment. You calculate it only base on  its ATH but you never see how profitable altcoin will be if you can entry in the right price.  Buying altcoin on  its ATH is very very wrong decision and too risky.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
██████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
.Defi for You.
defi.com.vn

Learn how to become your own bank and
implement a private investment strategy

▄▄                    ▄▄
█      Pawn | Sell     
           Services
      Buy   | Rent
     █
  ▀▀                    ▀▀

Review Master

Activity: 1428
Merit: 275

BitByte Crypto: https://link3.to/bitbytecrypto

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2020, 08:16:43 AM

Agree for not to keep a long term hodling when it's about alts. But we might be see a new ATH( on USD pair) for all top alts whenever the alt season is going to be started. But i personally don't think that alts will be able to surpass the previous ATH on BTC pair as we don't know what will be the upcoming new ATH for bitcoin. Basically, everything is unpredictable and hoping for a new ATH for all of those altcoins.

▄▄ BITBYTE CRYPTO ▄▄
Be A Crypto Veteran Together
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   TWITTER | TG GROUP | TG CHANNEL | YOUTUBE  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ 
so98nn

Activity: 2086
Merit: 603

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 08:43:06 AM

Actually this is very good analysis based on the data present from past. It's really thinkable I mean, all the top altcoins including ether itself is swimming around the bottom. The year 2017 was something when all of them shown us how far they could go but sadly they have not kept their promises this year although BTC hiked way too much.

It is clear case that popularity is must factor for investors to invest into them. Bitcoin is like center point of crypto currency so it's user base will never go down. In fact people tend to sell their altcoins for BTC when the later one is out performing.
sangkler11

Activity: 406
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 09:05:25 AM

be patient, holding altcoins for a long term is very risky, as we can see now the Bitcoin price has started to recover, even broke the all time high before, now we are just waiting for the altcoin season like last 2017. I'm sure it will come
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 10:17:32 AM

be patient, holding altcoins for a long term is very risky, as we can see now the Bitcoin price has started to recover, even broke the all time high before, now we are just waiting for the altcoin season like last 2017. I'm sure it will come

2017 altcoin bull run happened because of ICO and blockchain hype. Now Bitcoin is rising because of institutional investors, and this isn't going to transfer to altcoins, because they don't view shitcoins as digital gold. They also aren't interested in DeFi, because it would be stupid for them to switch to unregulated platforms with no investor protection that are prone to bugs and hacks. Altcoin season was a one-time thing, hoping for return means just suffering more and more losses.
Rodeo02

Activity: 1302
Merit: 577

avatar and signature space for rent !!!

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 10:46:41 AM

It is obvious that the most secure investment is Bitcoin. Even today, most of the altcoins are on the decline while Bitcoin is up a little. Maybe very few altcoins will be valuable in the future, but Bitcoin will always be the most preferred coin.

I think that altcoin must be usefull in future but not to copy the most successful projects.
For example, now some ecological projects appear that using altcoins help to protect the planet from pollution.
Here information about this - https://moss.earth/blog.
An the demand in such tokens will only grow because Earth needs more protection with every year.

If they want to protect the planet you don't need to create a token just for that goal you can do it even without the need of others peoples funds or without the need of a project. Not sure why you mention that project here, the demand of any tokens will decrease as long as there is no demand or use cases in that particular tokens . You can only see successful tokens if the developers is really working hard for it's creation .
Mighty_crypt

Activity: 784
Merit: 21

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 12:26:52 PM

The success of a new project is all in the hands of the team, how hardworking and determined the team are is what will create success for the project, most new projects now are not reliable, very few have dedicated teams, to find out which altcoins is good for long term holding first make sure the team behind the project are real blockchain experts

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Anonylz

Activity: 2562
Merit: 577

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 12:40:14 PM

The truth is altcoins aren't good for a very long term hold, you can easily figure this out looking at what happened to every good projects in 2017 compared to today's market value, the opportunities surrounding altcoins aren't that for long time, bitcoin stands apart from other altcoins clearly

Perhaps you mean some alts, to me long term means from the very first moment a project is launched and not just ATH period, it is true some of the top alts are far from their previous ATH but it doesn't discredit their performance for long term,
If i were to be holding eth since from ico period till now believe me I won't worry about ATH neither will I assume the project haven't perform long term because that will be misleading.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
                           Twitter       Telegram      Medium      YouTube      Discord        TikTok         GitHub               
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
meanwords

Activity: 1624
Merit: 163

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 12:41:27 PM

It kinda suck that if you look that way but if you look at the start of this year, ETH had an initial price of $130 but look at the price right now, almost like 6x gained compared to Bitcoin. A year for me is considered long-term considering how volatile and fast the market in crypto is.

Anyway, that's only the case for the altcoins you've mentioned or altcoin who have been around for a very long time. Still, the price still depends on how the demand on the project is which is why some altcoins, even reputable ones, are dumping. Nonetheless, there were a lot of altcoins out there that gain more than Bitcoin or even more than ETH at the start of this year.
CryptoLogo

Activity: 656
Merit: 251

www.fintropy.io

View Profile
December 20, 2020, 12:45:12 PM

I agree with you. Altcoins do not represent significant value in the market without bitcoin, so over the past few years, their value has decreased dramatically.
And this is not surprising, many altcoin holders waited too long without any changes, coin prices fell by 99%, and grew slowly. The only thing that can bring significant profit in the hold is bitcoin.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: