Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:00:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skill Games for Bitcoin, FEEDBACK PLEASE!  (Read 1197 times)
bitgamer123 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 06:40:00 PM

I would love to get some feedback on this idea.  As some of you may know, playing skill games for money is legal int he US and abroad.  I want to set up a website that provides skill, puzzle, strategy games that people can play against each other for bitcoin.  I have a few game ideas that can't be beat by bots or computer programs to ensure people know they are not being cheated.  The games would last 1-2 minutes, and are really fun mind battle games.  You will have a secure account, with win percentages and all kinds of stats, and there will be a leaderboard for people who have won the most.  I understand the security needed to implement this, but I want to know if this will conceptually work.

I would love some feedback!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 09:53:24 PM

I would love to get some feedback on this idea.  As some of you may know, playing skill games for money is legal int he US and abroad.  I want to set up a website that provides skill, puzzle, strategy games that people can play against each other for bitcoin.  I have a few game ideas that can't be beat by bots or computer programs to ensure people know they are not being cheated.  The games would last 1-2 minutes, and are really fun mind battle games.  You will have a secure account, with win percentages and all kinds of stats, and there will be a leaderboard for people who have won the most.  I understand the security needed to implement this, but I want to know if this will conceptually work.

well there is Pacman already Tongue
very nice project:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=516170.0

you can find perhaps few others.

It would be nice maybe to create some tower defence game 4 bitcoins? Smiley
dangerkid

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:03:29 PM

you will need to add strategy games for sure! also some mini action games would attract a lot of players
bitgamer123 (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:33:52 PM

The key is to make games that programs cant beat.  Turn based strategy is ideal.  Pacman can be beat by a bot and well as tower defense.  I have a few in mind that can't, what do you guys think?
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 10:42:53 PM

Hmm ... in those days you can probably build a bot for everything Smiley
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:01:31 AM

The key is to make games that programs cant beat.  Turn based strategy is ideal.  Pacman can be beat by a bot and well as tower defense.  I have a few in mind that can't, what do you guys think?

Go and Chess would be good candidates for games with a very high branching factor (bot resistant) and you have the advantage that people are already familiar with them.

The hardest part is getting enough traffic to make PvP viable. You'll definitely need to be able to the play against the CPU to keep people on the site long enough to encounter another human player.

I wish you all the best, it's a tough job you're embarking on Smiley

Cheers, Paul.
olsn

Activity: 55

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:51:34 AM

Go and Chess would be good candidates for games with a very high branching factor (bot resistant) and you have the advantage that people are already familiar with them.
Oh hell no! Those are two of the least bot-resistant games ever! And the most simplest way to use a bot here is to simply start one of the 1000 free KI-programs, set it so the highest difficutly level and play every move of your opponent in that game and insert your KI's move to the site. (Remember, the world's BEST chess player bairly got a draw against the best chess computer..and people playing on those kind of sites probably will be below his skill level)
So if anyone knows any site that's offering chess or go for bitcoins...please tell me ;P

That will be the MOST DIFFICULT task to create a game where noone can use a bot/program/tool to get an advantage. At sites like gameduell.com they have many employees just working their heads around this one single issue.
I've been working in the games-industry and you wouldn't believe the tools that are out there just for simple games where noone can win any money. Imagine what people are doing if there is money in the game.

The key here(or at least that's how the big players are doing it) is to make the detection of cheaters as good as possible.
But even if you detect a cheater, then there is the issue: What to do with that person? If you ban their account they can simply create a new one! With the bigger sites they have to verify their accounts through a bank account or credit card or even passport.

If you have answers to those questions, go get 'em! Smiley I think the idea can work, I've been looking at this before, but I got scared of by those issues.
I'd also consider teaming up on a project like this(however I do not have answers to those questions Wink - I'd know how to cheat though Tongue), if you are interested in just some initial talking you can PM me.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 11:54:35 AM

Poker... Smiley
bitvestor

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:26:27 PM

Chess, i have been thinking of chess too.
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 03:01:16 PM

Chess, i have been thinking of chess too.

If this should be unable to be played by a bot chess are very able to be played by machine Smiley
bitgamer123 (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:23:38 PM

The game I have thought of is turn based, but both players play at the same time without knowing the other persons choice.  That was confusing but think of Rocks, papers, scissor.  Logically a bot does not have an edge over you (at first).  The game works like that but is a little more complex.  With RPS a computer can track your habits and then get an edge but if there are 300+ players it would be hard to take advantage of this advantage.  Sound to good to be true?
stooper6

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:26:55 PM

This sounds like a great idea. I've been searching for games that cannot be beat by bots for some time now. Just make sure you make the game quick, fun, and strategic because that's what most people want. Good luck and be sure to post a link on here if you end up going through with it.

Cheers!

Dan
bitcoinmania777

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:23:42 PM

Many companies have tried to solve this problem namely worldwinner and gameduell.  It seems like they have a decent system down but also looks like it needs serious capital.
stooper6

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:04:51 PM

The game I have thought of is turn based, but both players play at the same time without knowing the other persons choice.  That was confusing but think of Rocks, papers, scissor.  Logically a bot does not have an edge over you (at first).  The game works like that but is a little more complex.  With RPS a computer can track your habits and then get an edge but if there are 300+ players it would be hard to take advantage of this advantage.  Sound to good to be true?

I think this could work as long as your game is 100% skill-based. I think rock paper scissors is a great idea. Me and my friends are always looking for a quick, skill-based game we can play to make a bit of cash. Is there a quick preview we could potentially get on what you're building or what's ahead? I'm sure everyone here would appreciate that!

Cheers,

Dan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: