Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:54:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EVGA Geforce 1660 super SC Ultra Low Hashrate (20 MH) Ethash (SOLVED!)  (Read 579 times)
esemally (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2020, 09:24:50 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2020, 01:31:29 PM by esemally

I thought let's buy a new card!

So I have one running mining rig with 3 x PNY 1660 supers in it. No problems there everyting is running on 30.5 MH/sec (total 121 MH/sec) with a powerdraw of 217 Watts out of the wall (~75 a card). Using Phoenix miner under the latest HiveOS.

I recently (last week) bought a brand new EVGA 1660 super Ultra SC and plugged it into my system. I used the default settings (no OC, no power limiting) and expected a hashrate around 25 MH using Phoenix miner. It only hit 20 MH. Overclocked on +950 and power limited it does 23.7.

So to eliminate as much options as possible I did the following:

- I removed all cards and risers and booted it as the only card in the first x16 slot on the board: exact same results
- I used xubuntu 20.04 with the 450 nvidia drivers with again only this card in the first x16 slot: exact same results
- I used Windows 10 64 bits with the 460 nvidia drivers and msi afterburner: exact same results
- All was repeated on a different motherboard

I checked all the info in GPU-Z and the control panel and it is all similar to my PNY cards.

Drivers: Nvidia 450 and 460
Phoenix miner version: 5.4C (linux and windows)
Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 1660 Super SC Ultra (brand new)
Board 1: MSI G41M P33
Board 2: MSI B630-A PRO

As I only found results comparable to my PNY cards searching on this EVGA card, I'm quite lost and baffled. I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. The card seems to be performing like a regular 1660.

If any additional info is needed, I will gladly put it here.

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help!
Apostlekin$$$

Activity: 238
Merit: 17

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 08:02:36 AM

I'm not surprised here mate, many are familiar with such low hashrate from one or two GPUs out of many they own, I suggest you consider bios modding, find the right bios and flash the bios, you will get better increase in hashrate goodluck

Apostlekin$$$

Activity: 238
Merit: 17

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 08:04:19 AM

I don't know if hiveOS supports flashing bios in its OS, you can try checking that out as it makes things more easier than doing it manually yourself, if HiveOS don't support bios modding you can use simplemining OS instead, drop a thank you if this works, I will wait for your comment

mak013

Activity: 2408
Merit: 757

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 08:38:57 AM

It depends on memory manufacturer. It looks like that you have Hynix memory. If it`s so - you ought to downclock memory to -502.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
esemally (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 10:33:57 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2020, 11:00:51 AM by esemally

It depends on memory manufacturer. It looks like that you have Hynix memory. If it`s so - you ought to downclock memory to -502.

I stand corrected. I did not underclock enough! I'm on 30.5 Now! THANK YOU!!
esemally (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 10:48:58 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2020, 11:01:31 AM by esemally

I don't know if hiveOS supports flashing bios in its OS, you can try checking that out as it makes things more easier than doing it manually yourself, if HiveOS don't support bios modding you can use simplemining OS instead, drop a thank you if this works, I will wait for your comment

Flashing wasn't the issue. mem freq did it! But thank you for the great pointer!
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1348

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2020, 10:52:00 AM

It is Hynix memory. So I guess I'm stuck at 20 MH/sec ? Or should I try a BIOS flash as proposed earlier ?

Follow the suggestion of user mak013, it's weird, but some memories of 1660s need to downclock to gives more hashrate
I did not believe before but it's true

Here's  a link to see some users relating: https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/j4woit/1660_super_hynix_316mhash_eth/

I didn't find the thread here, but there's users from here that suffered the same problem with Hynix.

maybe it's something related to memory timings, when you downclock the memory probably have better timings,  but this is just a guess.

Try this and post here

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
sakmsb

Activity: 121
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 10:54:22 AM

I underclocked it, with no effect, unfortunately

It is Hynix memory. So I guess I'm stuck at 20 MH/sec ? Or should I try a BIOS flash as proposed earlier ?

I have colorful 1660 super with hynix. -502 on memory gives me 31+ MH/S.
esemally (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 11:06:20 AM

I wan to thank you all for the great help, I would never ever come up with this solution on my own.
I hope I can pay back the favour once I get more experience.

Great community!
Gunday_07

Activity: 280
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 28, 2020, 07:10:18 AM

I wan to thank you all for the great help, I would never ever come up with this solution on my own.
I hope I can pay back the favour once I get more experience.

Great community!
Thank you for saying a big thanks to all those who makes a contribution to your problem and I'm glad you are able to solve the problem too, I have 10 pieces of gt1660 super and they are all running on hynix memory, out of the box I get 30-31MHs without any bios modding or flash, it's definitely the memory downclocking thing

Llevellyn

Activity: 76

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2021, 12:48:59 PM

Guys do you only downclock a memory? Does overclocking GPU and raising power limit boost hashrate? Or it is dangerous?
tg88
Legendary

Merit: 1412

View Profile
January 08, 2021, 09:48:04 PM

Guys do you only downclock a memory? Does overclocking GPU and raising power limit boost hashrate? Or it is dangerous?

To reach the 32 mhs hashrate with 1660 super gpus with hynix memory you don't need to overclock the core, just set the memory to -502 and powerlimit to 62%.

Works well with Driver 452.06
No risks.
Llevellyn

Activity: 76

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2021, 04:36:04 AM

Quote from: tg88
To reach the 32 mhs hashrate with 1660 super gpus with hynix memory you don't need to overclock the core, just set the memory to -502 and powerlimit to 62%.
Thanks a lot, having 31Mhs and 49C on my Palit card. Seems like power limit has no affect on perfomance, only on consuming energy. But I really don't understand how it's works - why lowering consuming energy makes no difference to hashrate?
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
January 09, 2021, 11:38:45 PM

Quote from: tg88
Thanks a lot, having 31Mhs and 49C on my Palit card. Seems like power limit has no affect on perfomance, only on consuming energy. But I really don't understand how it's works - why lowering consuming energy makes no difference to hashrate?

Powerlimit is for gpu core, and for ethash you need memory bandwith, and not so much gpu core.
Elegidenka

Activity: 8

View Profile
February 12, 2021, 10:20:01 PM

I have the same issue 20hash. I tried the memory and clock at anyway and still doesn't work better than 23.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers,

Can you confirm is due to the 452.06 version?

Regards
tg88
Legendary

Merit: 1412

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 12:10:34 AM

I have the same issue 20hash. I tried the memory and clock at anyway and still doesn't work better than 23.

Regards

that's right the problem is in the driver version you are using, in version 452.06 it will work perfectly adjusting the memory to -502 and powerlimit to 62% reaching ~ 31mhs hashrate.
KuromaYoichi

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 07:45:41 AM

Regards

I have 1 1660 super with hynix memory (MSI ventus xs) and i can get it run to 32 Mhs using -502 core and memory at 62% power limit. The driver i am using is the 446.14 version and it's stable for mining since june last year if i remember correctly. If you think it's driver issue then you can try to download another driver version but are you sure you have the hynix memory? not micron or samsung?

.The DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.300% APY on USDT Deposits.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
Greatchu

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 09:39:09 AM

Regards
Could help you find a way around if you can identify the memory chip on your graphic card, to do this go and download GPU-Z and install, it will reveal if you have hynix, micron or samsung memory, some settings works best for micron and not samsung memory

Greatchu

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 09:42:03 AM

Regards

I have 1 1660 super with hynix memory (MSI ventus xs) and i can get it run to 32 Mhs using -502 core and memory at 62% power limit. The driver i am using is the 446.14 version and it's stable for mining since june last year if i remember correctly. If you think it's driver issue then you can try to download another driver version but are you sure you have the hynix memory? not micron or samsung?
I know memory type matters when trying to get the best hashrate out of gtx1660 super but lowering the memory clock to -502 and the core clock to -502 works for many, I put power limit on 65% on both a micron and hynix card, if it's samsung you gotta try overclock on core

Elegidenka

Activity: 8

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 10:27:42 AM

Regards

Right.. My memory is Kingston as far as I know and its 4 Gig. And the 1660 super version is the EVGA.

I will try with the drivers and let you know guys , thanks for the tip.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: