Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:45:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The supply issue  (Read 1027 times)
qwertyup23

Activity: 2240
Merit: 787

View Profile
January 15, 2021, 06:43:37 PM

I think that's really a big deal.  although bitcoin is infinitely divisible, it is limited to 21 million.  This leads to a far future where bitcoin's transaction fees will be huge

This really goes to show that the price of bitcoin definitely has the potential to increase years from now. The problem, though, will be the transaction fees for miners as that is the only way they get compensation from confirming the transactions in the blockchain.

Like what others have mentioned, by the time that happens, maybe other altcoins in the market would become more valuable and flexible in investing. I am actually curious and I hope I am still alive by the time we get closer to the supply of 21 million bitcoins.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 05:50:13 PM

there are small investors that invest under 100-200 bucks , they can still invest now on the current btc system  but if btc price soar really high that it leads for 1 satoshi to be hundred dollar ,

i think they are screwed but i think btc devs are going to fix this problem and will probably extend or add another decimals for the poor investors to continue participating and i think you are right that this wont screw the supply . supply will still be 21m and the growth of the price of btc are going to be unefected .
I think that eventually we are going to need to add smaller denominations than the satoshi because if you think about it if all the people in the world bought bitcoin then the amount of bitcoin that we could get is incredibly low and when you add that there are millions of coins that have been lost and there are millions of coins in the wallets of whales that are never going to leave their wallets then that amount becomes even lower.

Which means that sooner or later we will have to add a smaller denomination than the satoshi, fortunately for us since bitcoin is an electronic form of money that should be relatively easy for the developers so I do not see it as a big deal.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
teosanru

Activity: 2100
Merit: 618

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 05:58:39 PM

I'm seeing this particular topic on twitter today and it's got me a bit stumped. So I would like to ask my hero bitcoiners here for their advice:

If bitcoin's price and market cap continue to increase, and if a 2nd layer or off-network protocol allows people to subdivide their satoshis into smaller and smaller units, does the whole 21 million BTC supply cap even matter anymore?
Yes it does. It's because we are just splitting up the numbers. Increasing supply means that we are able to increase the total value of Supply when we subdivide the satoshis what we are doing is adding more decimal points. For example, if we have a total of 1000$ in circulation subdividing satoshi is like introducing cents. Now, this does not increases the supply obviously. But it's kind of a boon to bitcoin because if merely subdividing would increase the supply the price would pretty easily come down with every new decimal we create after satoshi. But I feel 2nd layer or off-network protocol is still too wild to imagine dreams. If people are willing to go on an off-network protocol then why don't we just switch over to some other currency other than bitcoin? I think there are a lot of questions to be answered which obviously will be answered with time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: