Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:30:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: glitches in market data  (Read 1092 times)
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 12:43:04 AM

what happened here?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dan The Man

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 12:53:15 AM

glitch in the matrix. not the first time it has happened and won't be the last.
niko (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 01:25:21 AM

How do I tell a glitch from legitimate data?  This one is obvious, but how do I know there aren't less obvious glitches? How do I know that the whole MtGox price is not a glitch?  As much as I generally appreciate the service MtGox has been offering, problems like this one make me wish for a third-party audit.

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 02:17:53 AM

How do I tell a glitch from legitimate data?  This one is obvious, but how do I know there aren't less obvious glitches? How do I know that the whole MtGox price is not a glitch?  As much as I generally appreciate the service MtGox has been offering, problems like this one make me wish for a third-party audit.

That chart isn't exactly designed to be used as a tool to aid in trading decisions.. It's really neet to look at but if you want info to use for your trading activity you want to look at the ticker and orderbook in a more structured manner. i.e., write a script for it or use one of the many trading apps out there that will let you plug in api data.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
niko (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 04:59:42 PM

That chart isn't exactly designed to be used as a tool to aid in trading decisions.. It's really neet to look at but if you want info to use for your trading activity you want to look at the ticker and orderbook in a more structured manner. i.e., write a script for it or use one of the many trading apps out there that will let you plug in api data.

You are missing my point here. That chart IS (was) generated based on the API data. It is reasonable to assume that the glitch was in the data, not in the chart. It wouldn't be the first time.

Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 10:25:04 PM

mtGox.com needs a third party audit.

Glitches are pretty common, I've seen it many times the last months.
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 11:00:43 PM

Agreed. Here is a shameless plug for such an orderbook: bitcoin.clarkmoody.com

phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 02:22:51 AM

I used it all the time to make major trading decisions.  It is the best way for me to see the depth chart visually.  I can see the walls and position my buys/sells in front of them so that when the price really starts to swing I can catch the swing instead of being on the other side of the wall and miss out entirely.
tritium

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 03:00:40 AM

you should see it try and cope with the current trading, it just doesn't know what to do and needs refreshing

1FCzN34C1xCLsDaLxfY7yB5CQKN74ruGHV
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: