Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:46:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-03-25] USA Today - IRS: Bitcoin is not currency  (Read 1948 times)
Korbman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:31:12 PM

USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/03/25/irs-says-bitcoin-is-property/6873569/

IRS Guidance: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/03/25/irs-answers-on-bitcoin-tax-guidance/6874925/

Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:37:32 PM

http://www.scribd.com/doc/214527517/US-IRS-Bitcoin-Guidance
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 11:34:28 PM

more clarity but is it good or bad? we will see

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:35:59 AM

The federal government will tax digital money such as Bitcoin like property, not currency, the IRS said Tuesday in its first significant guidance on the virtual coin.

Although Bitcoin may operate like coin and paper currency and can be used to pay for goods and services, no country accepts it as "legal tender," the Internal Revenue Service said in its notice.

"Virtual currency is treated as property for U.S. federal tax purposes," the notice said. "General tax principles that apply to property transactions apply to transactions using virtual currency."

....The fair market value would be calculated as the U.S. dollar value on the date payment was received.

^^^^
The fair market value should be based on what you sell them for (actual income) ....
EDIT: This could be great when BTC goes up, and really bad when BTC goes way down.

fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:53:58 AM

Sounds reasonable. Gold isn't a currency either is it?
Seems rather complicated to report for taxes though.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:53:29 AM

I think you'll find gold and silver referred to as the only "lawful money", as per the Constitution.

howardb

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:56:55 AM

Not to intelligent IMHO, they have set themselves up for a forced future U turn as whether it is legal tender or not will be irrelevant if defacto most people in the world come to use it at some future date.
The comparison with gold is not really valid, as you cannot carry out trade with gold (normally anyway).
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:18:09 PM

The story: "The federal government will tax digital money such as Bitcoin".

The rest is peripheral, no matter how shiny.

Can they do it? Can they tax global entities? Can they tax mathematics? Can they tax abstractions? Can they tax global mathematical abstractions in their little corner of the world?

Time will tell.

howardb

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:54:50 PM

Can they do it? Can they tax global entities? Can they tax mathematics? Can they tax abstractions? Can they tax global mathematical abstractions in their little corner of the world?

Time will tell.

Of course they can tax it, simply passing a law requiring all bitcoin wallet addresses of US citizens and corporations to be declared for tax purposes would suffice. How many people then choose to avoid tax by not declaring is another question all together, but I suspect most would rather not risk prison, and 'most' is all you need.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:56:46 AM

Time will tell.

Of course they can tax it, simply passing a law requiring all bitcoin wallet addresses of US citizens and corporations to be declared for tax purposes would suffice. How many people then choose to avoid tax by not declaring is another question all together, but I suspect most would rather not risk prison, and 'most' is all you need.

So will that be Litecoin wallets also? Namecoin, peercoin, primecoin ... really?

Kosta#

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:59:38 AM

....The fair market value would be calculated as the U.S. dollar value on the date payment was received.
^^^^
The fair market value should be based on what you sell them for (actual income) ....
EDIT: This could be great when BTC goes up, and really bad when BTC goes way down.

but then if you sell property for less than you paid for it, the loss should be tax-deductible, is it not?
PCUser

Activity: 37

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:43:49 AM

^^^^

but then if you sell property for less than you paid for it, the loss should be tax-deductible, is it not?

Good question! I think they haven't thought about it as I have understand in case you sell property for less than you pay the same tax so you loose, and if you sell it higher than you win and pay less
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:54:19 AM

^^^^

Correct.
Somehow I misread it.....
A simple way to pay taxes on actual fiat income would be nice.

iamahappyminer

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:08:48 AM

I think you'll find gold and silver referred to as the only "lawful money", as per the Constitution.

The current fiat money is nothing and that's why I love btc as is it close to gold it's decentalized and noone is able to mine a lot of coins ! So I can understand why bitcoin is not a currency  - as it is more than it
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 11:07:22 AM

Sign in a Petition:(US citizens only)
AMEND IRS NOTICE 2014-2Taxing virtual currency/bitcoin as property stifles new technology&creates untenable requirements
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/amend-irs-notice-2014-2taxing-virtual-currencybitcoin-property-stifles-new-technologycreates/z7WtKZGY
Leogheo

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:54:22 PM

I feel myself stupid as I used to think it is something like a currency not a property ! and now i am confused with the US government decision
blackvoice

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 03:51:56 PM

great news

with the government admit

virtual currency community will grow up fast and strong

bitbouillion

Activity: 868
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 07:59:12 PM

Try to pay taxes in gold or silver.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:47:08 PM

But, but but ...

Federal Judge Rules Bitcoin is a currency ...

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/07/bitcoin-clampdown-continues-as-federal-judge-says-its-a-currency/

A federal judge in Texas has declared that Bitcoin is a currency and should therefore be regulated just like U.S. dollars

The only limitation of Bitcoin is that it is limited to those places that accept it as currency. However, it can also be exchanged for conventional currencies, such as the U.S. dollar, Euro, Yen, and Yuan. Therefore, Bitcoin is a currency or form of money, and investors wishing to invest in BTCST provided an investment of money.

This a Federal court ruling. It seems pretty well spelled out ... someone must be smoking the SR products at the IRS?

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:05:31 AM

But, but but ...

Federal Judge Rules Bitcoin is a currency ...

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/07/bitcoin-clampdown-continues-as-federal-judge-says-its-a-currency/

A federal judge in Texas has declared that Bitcoin is a currency and should therefore be regulated just like U.S. dollars

The only limitation of Bitcoin is that it is limited to those places that accept it as currency. However, it can also be exchanged for conventional currencies, such as the U.S. dollar, Euro, Yen, and Yuan. Therefore, Bitcoin is a currency or form of money, and investors wishing to invest in BTCST provided an investment of money.

This a Federal court ruling. It seems pretty well spelled out ... someone must be smoking the SR products at the IRS?

They're incredibly inept. Most IRS workers look like they shop for groceries at WalMart: Big, Fat dumbasses with the emotional maturity of 10 year olds.

I'm grumpy!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: