Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:12:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [HELP] For those who are using (or have used) CPU/EPS to Dual PCIe cable adapter  (Read 48 times)
Legend_Girly (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 04:03:08 PM

Hello all, I have a question regarding to the usage of CPU/EPS to Dual PCIe cable adapters when the PSU doesn't include enough PCIe cables, but CPU cables (x8 pin).

I have the 'Thermaltake PF1 850W' PSU (2 units), which has a total of 5 EPS ports available, which means you can plug CPU or GPU on any of them. It doesn't have specific ports for CPU and GPUs, like other PSUs.

I already bought a bundle of this kind of cables (link below), like the ones used to connect the GPU and risers, as usual. But to allow the CPU cable to be used for an extra(s) GPU(s) + its risers.
Spec about the cables:
- 16 AWG: PSU cables (CPU and GPU)
- 18 AWG: cpu to dual pcie adapter cable
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2792457.0

Those users who are using them, or those who used to use them in the past, do you recommend them to take advantaje of the available (compatible) ports from a PSU? (I already took into consideration the power consumption for each given PSU)

Thank you.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 04:07:40 PM

Hello all, I have a question regarding to the usage of CPU/EPS to Dual PCIe cable adapters when the PSU doesn't include enough PCIe cables, but CPU cables (x8 pin).

I have the 'Thermaltake PF1 850W' PSU (2 units), which has a total of 5 EPS ports available, which means you can plug CPU or GPU on any of them. It doesn't have specific ports for CPU and GPUs, like other PSUs.

I already bought a bundle of this kind of cables (link below), like the ones used to connect the GPU and risers, as usual. But to allow the CPU cable to be used for an extra(s) GPU(s) + its risers.
Spec about the cables I bought:
- 16 AWG: PSU cables (CPU and GPU)
- 18 AWG: cpu to dual pcie adapter cable
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2792457.0

Those users who are using them, or those who used to use them in the past, do you recommend them to take advantaje of the available (compatible) ports from a PSU? (I already took into consideration the power consumption for each given PSU)

Thank you.

Ive used them were it was within limits.  Like with 1060 cards that i run at 75w each you can run 2 off one PCIe plug and stay under wattage.  Also had good luck with them powering risers...much better than using a SATA converter which is just trouble waiting to happen.  You advise you have calculated for your cards draw ... just be sure you compare that to the wall wattage.  Nvidia is pretty close to actual power used.  AMD does not include anything from the riser and only shows part of the power used.  I also use some that only extend a 6 pin to 6 or 6+2 but only do a single good way to add the extra length (about 4-6" long).

But beware of cheap ones.  Ive bought some where the crimped wires push back out the plug Sad

Legend_Girly (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 04:15:14 PM

Thank you for the answer.
The cards I'm going to connect are RX 5700 XT, and yes, I have wall meter.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 06:32:43 PM

Good article on all type of pc power supply plugs.  Keep mindful of max wattage per type of connector. 

http://gcctech.org/cec/powersupply/All%20about%20the%20various%20PC%20power%20supply%20cables%20and%20connectors.htm

Be careful.  At best it works...at worst its a fire!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: