Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:36:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DEX as mixer?  (Read 44 times)
ulhaq (OP)

Activity: 503
Merit: 286

View Profile
January 06, 2021, 11:48:47 PM

If one uses a mixer, you are at risk of getting dirty coins. Isn't it the same thing with a DEX? Doesn't a DEX effectively become a mixer and put you at the same risk?

If one uses a DEX for trading primarily, and then later withdraws the coins from a DEX and wants to get access to other unavailable coins through a centralised exchange, will the centralised exchange block the account? If you are using a DEX, are you limiting your options in the future?

It seems like a DEX cannot do anything to limit stolen inputs, so won't all the illicit users be preferably drawn to DEXes?
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 06, 2021, 11:56:50 PM

Some are traceable and some aren't. A lot are more traceable than a mixer. Waves documents everything on its blockchain, I was going to show a transaction but didn't want to violate privacy by using one just in case people didn't know that was a thing.

Uniswap also leaves a strong trace behind. Other exchanges like bisq do hide a trace but won't exchanges block other stuff too? I haven't seen things like yobit be blocked from sending to major exchanges and they can also be used for privacy reasons.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
January 07, 2021, 04:07:20 AM

Some are traceable and some aren't.

Which ones aren't? Admittedly I may not be up to date, but I was under the impression that all DEXs left obvious blockchain evidence of swaps. I haven't heard of any chain that can hide all the underlying contracts involved yet.

For this reason, I assume they are a bad choice for mixing. An adversary could easily just look to the blockchain to find the originating outputs.

If one uses a mixer, you are at risk of getting dirty coins. Isn't it the same thing with a DEX? Doesn't a DEX effectively become a mixer and put you at the same risk?

Since there is no AML/KYC involved, blockchain analysis companies (and by extension, exchanges) may consider outputs from them both to be "high-risk," along with those from gambling sites, non-KYC exchanges, etc.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: