Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:49:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning Network Development in Bitcoin  (Read 251 times)
PhoenixZephyrus

Activity: 155
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 15, 2021, 04:48:14 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2021, 05:03:41 PM by PhoenixZephyrus
Merited by Rath_ (3), o_e_l_e_o (2)

Well, there are a few. Obviously, the fraud is probably gonna be people's main concern when considering LN. Also, there's the case of loss of decentralization, as funds are concentrated in certain nodes of the network, this is what facilitates faster transactions.

I don't know where is the central part of the Bitcoin Lightning Network? This is not accurate !! The Bitcoin Lightning Network is a temporary record between two parties who conduct many transactions without being recorded on the public Bitcoin Blockchain so that the transactions are processed faster and the final result is recorded only on the Blockchain, do you see there is any centralization in this?

An offline stance could also bring down the network. Taylor from Dash said the biggest issue with Lightning Network is “increased centralization” by concentrating funds in certain nodes within its network. In practical terms, this translates to a lock-up of user funds if one of Lightning Network’s nodes goes offline. “One server outage could feasibly cause disruption across the entire network, and it could cause a large number of users to have their funds frozen for days,” Dash said.

Source: https://www.investopedia.com/tech/bitcoin-lightning-network-problems/

The Lightning Network was found to be more centralized than initially believed, increasingly relying on hubs through a core-periphery model observed by researchers. The Lightning Network's (LN) configuration is becoming increasingly centralized, with multiple hubs being formed.

Source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoins-lightning-network-found-more-centralized-than-expected-by-researchers

This is due to the network being too reliant on nodes with concentrated funds, which tends to give it "a degree of centralization", which is absent in the current blockchain implementation. This may make the network vulnerable to network-split attacks, which can occur in Proof-of-Work networks such as Bitcoin.

Bitcoin network (blockchain) essentially functions as follow, the miners are given, essentially a sum to compute, and the faster the nodes can compute that sum, obviously that depends on their hashing power, the faster a block gets generated and processed. Bitcoin uses the Hashcash algorithm for this. Difficulty and complexity of the sums gets more complex as the blocks get generated. A network split attack would essentially split the connection between two nodes, which, if performed on the nodes on which the network is too reliant, may cause transactions to be incomplete.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
January 15, 2021, 09:21:49 PM

I don't know where is the central part of the Bitcoin Lightning Network? This is not accurate !! The Bitcoin Lightning Network is a temporary record between two parties who conduct many transactions without being recorded on the public Bitcoin Blockchain so that the transactions are processed faster and the final result is recorded only on the Blockchain, do you see there is any centralization in this?

Let me explain it in a different way since you seem to be a little confused about how the Lightning Network works.

Your answer is a simplified explanation of how transactions are settled between participants of the same payment channel. When you try to send a payment to a person with who you don't have a direct channel, your payment is routed through other nodes for a small fee. All of those nodes need to be connected via payment channels. The concern is that people will favour popular nodes because their payments will have a higher chance of being routed successfully. The implementation of multi-part payments has slightly mitigated this issue.
verita1

Activity: 1358
Merit: 81

View Profile
January 15, 2021, 09:59:15 PM

I also wanted to learn about the Lightning Network, but I have only managed to download the BlueWallet wallet and have not been able to move on. Because sometimes it takes time when I try to learn and I have to go back to my daily activities and I quit.

Likewise it has happened to me with EOS I have an account and I must update it: CPU, Network, RAM to be able to carry out transactions.

But it is never too late to learn. So far I am satisfied with Bitcoin, Ethereum and a new platform that will give a lot to talk about: Avalanche has its own blockchain, its coin AVAX and offers users low fess and fast transactions.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: