Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:32:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Say. If somebody built another small miner...  (Read 2382 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 20, 2021, 01:49:38 AM

Nothing real to report, just doing some testing and figured I'd check to see if people would care if that test turned into gear.

May be something, may be nothing. Depends on markets and other projects.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6271

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2021, 12:32:18 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2021, 10:35:19 PM by frodocooper

So now you have a baseline of what is going to be coming, futurebit who has been making LTC stuff for years is now going to be making a BTC miner.

https://www.futurebit.io

Going to be interesting to see if they actually make that price point & deliver but they have been doing it for years so I guess they know what they are doing at this point.

Edit: The 2T board is $349, the board + PS + controller with full node is $600

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achtung082

Activity: 358
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 01, 2021, 02:23:53 AM

I think $349 is for a hash board only.

Support sidehack projects: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
My Sales Wallet BTC:bc1qxtxsc86lessnrsm52gf7qgmqle75htdr03zdd7 - LTC:LNLKyKkGNCJakZudGjc2qg26yYz7oeo92k - ETH:0xDf1b17872D9Ff22F04270BbDA13556B3E1649E27
fyoung55

Activity: 277
Merit: 70

View Profile
February 01, 2021, 02:27:55 AM

yeah, it's going to be $600 for the whole deal.  He set it up so you can add on the extra hashboards to the main unit or run it off of a raspberry pie with ha separate psu.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2021, 06:31:46 AM

Guess I need to step up dev on my end. I'm way behind on R&D on account of manufacturing backlog and being shorthanded what with the plague we got going on. VH and I are working on some fun stuff, which includes having recently proved a USB connection like we use on NewPac and Terminus can exceed 4TH, but it takes more time than I have right now.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
February 01, 2021, 11:39:04 PM

I'm basically interested too.
Which chip?

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 09:14:22 AM

@sidehack I am interested. I am still holding on to my old S1/S3 units in case you ever finish your upgrade kit idea.

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
reactor

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2021, 03:06:14 AM

I'm down if you put up orders.
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
February 10, 2021, 04:21:39 PM

So whats this 200GHs+ USB stick sidehack?

Newpac with new chips? Does it need extra juice? Will the GS hub handle it?

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2021, 04:32:10 PM

That's a work in progress. We might be able to hit 300GH.

Also, the original idea mentioned in this thread has largely petered out. I was looking at a thing with a butt-ton of cheap 1397 running at bottom clock that I could put together quickly, but I think I'll move forward with new chips instead. The new Futurebit gear raises the stakes a little.

achtung082

Activity: 358
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 10, 2021, 06:53:55 PM

An S5 size package that can reuse the heat sinks and controllers would be awesome, I'll take 20-30 S5 worth lol.. Wink

Support sidehack projects: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
My Sales Wallet BTC:bc1qxtxsc86lessnrsm52gf7qgmqle75htdr03zdd7 - LTC:LNLKyKkGNCJakZudGjc2qg26yYz7oeo92k - ETH:0xDf1b17872D9Ff22F04270BbDA13556B3E1649E27
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
February 10, 2021, 07:09:37 PM

That's a work in progress. We might be able to hit 300GH.

Also, the original idea mentioned in this thread has largely petered out. I was looking at a thing with a butt-ton of cheap 1397 running at bottom clock that I could put together quickly, but I think I'll move forward with new chips instead. The new Futurebit gear raises the stakes a little.

Yea it has got a decent efficiency for us home miners (although awful compared to industrial gear).

Have you got any sort of time frame for the usb sticks or the new chip pod (assuming its a pod/R606 style)?  I know some would hold you to a date but I’m just wondering if its this year or next lol

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
February 12, 2021, 07:12:38 PM

Did you mean 1387?

I was wondering why you wouldn't just use the 1397, seems like the pin functions are pretty close to identical. Do they mess with the commands over the serial interface enough to make switching a hassle?

Might double your BOM cost, but also doubles efficiency....

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2021, 07:32:53 PM

Yes I did mean 1387. Had 1397 on the mind lately for, oh, no particular reason.

From 1387 to 1397 they use the same footprint but from what I can tell, entirely different pinouts, power levels, even the protocol has changed somewhat. It's definitely not a drop-in replacement.

wndsnb

View Profile
February 12, 2021, 07:38:47 PM

Of course ... why make it easy when you can arbitrarily just switch everything around....

Are you able to get datasheets for these or do you have to reverse-engineer all the details?

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 12:26:16 AM

Well I don't know about the protocol. VH is working on that. My job is the hardware, and I gotta say, all the hardware improvements to the chip are AWESOME. Like when I saw a spec sheet I was really confused about a lot of things because it was all so different, but when I saw 'em on a board it started making sense and now I'm genuinely impressed at how well thought-out these chips are. It'll mean a lot of design changes from the old stuff, but it also means the new designs will be a heck of a lot easier.

At least the footprint is the same, so the various iterations of stenciling and process changes we figured out for BM1387 will still apply.

stripminer

Activity: 1
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 02:23:20 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2021, 11:59:58 PM by frodocooper
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I just joined this forum literally / specifically because of THIS thread, and the future potential product(s) being discussed here.

@sidehack I just found out about your products, and it is truly awesome and appreciated that you do this type of work.

I wish I had known about the previous products when they were first released, as those latest ones being from Q4 2018 are slightly dated now... which is exactly why I just joined here: to be among the first to find out when the next product(s) get released (especially those based on the 1397)!

(I also looked into the FutureBit gear and as sidehack said it raises the bar... )

Looking forward to your next generation of ASIC USB and pod products... (hopefully this year?)  ;-)

Cheers.
wndsnb

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 05:55:24 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2021, 12:00:19 AM by frodocooper

What isn't awesome is how they attached heatsinks on these... they missed the mark there big time.

If you can find a way to avoid soldering the heatsink to the top of the chip, do it. I've been repairing 17 series hashboards and it seems like nearly all issues are related in one way or another to those heatsinks. The chips have a film on top to interface between the chip -> solder -> heatsink. Many times the film fails and delaminates from the chip. Then the chip overheats to the point of melting solder and there ya go.

Also see a lot of problems with excess solder from the application of the heatsinks falling down onto the board. Little balls of solder precariously held in place by remaining flux residue... just waiting to short out pins after the right nudge shakes them free.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 06:06:13 PM

I'll be doing some testing with soldering heatsinks, but I'm already using a low-temp soldering process for chips so it'll take a lot of experimenting to be safe/reliable. Most likely I'll stick to my screwed-on heatinks. The biggest thing there will be that surface plating is connected to power ground, so heatsinks from adjacent voltage nodes must remain isolated. But that copper plating should be the next best thing to an exposed die for reducing thermal resistance, assuming it doesn't delaminate. But I don't want the kind of heat density and total temperature that should cause that.

-doubleU-
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1307

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 01:20:27 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2021, 12:00:40 AM by frodocooper

I'm interested, depending on the price, fan noise and whether it will be available in Europe.

Another option is make it fit mini ITX motherboard mounts so it could go in a mini-itx case for easy cooling - like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T94W9YS.

A mini itx case is a good idea. I have some metal plates in this form factor with mounting holes to build an adapter plate. I hope that if the new miner should show up, they will have some holes to attach to an adapter plate with spacers.

███████████████████████████
█████████▀▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀████████
█████▀▄█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀█████
████ █▀▄███████████▄▀██████
███▄█ ███████▀ ██████ █ ███
██▀█ ███  ▀▀█  ▀██████ █ ██
██ █ ████▄▄      ▀▀▀██ █ ██
██ █ █████▌        ▄██ ████
███▄█ █████▄▄   ▄▄███ █▀███
████▀█▄▀█████▌  ▀██▀▄█ ████
█████▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀   ▄▄█▀▄█████
████████▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████