Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:29:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Say. If somebody built another small miner...  (Read 2377 times)
lrowland21093

Activity: 85
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 02:16:35 AM

I would be interested in three or four of these once you have them ready!  I have been looking for a replacement to the R606's and you do make great hardware!
I would also probably design and 3d print some kind or bracket or case if they came without one.  I've done some carbon fiber style cases that can take a bit of heat.  If I did design something I would release it for everyone to use.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 02:35:39 AM

I intend on making another R606-sized device. Been considering the idea of a ~300W machine with a built-in Pi controller in a simple case. Still just an idea, we're still very early in dev, but it'd be pretty nifty.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 02:39:37 AM

I would be interested in three or four of these once you have them ready!  I have been looking for a replacement to the R606's and you do make great hardware!
I would also probably design and 3d print some kind or bracket or case if they came without one.  I've done some carbon fiber style cases that can take a bit of heat.  If I did design something I would release it for everyone to use.
I use Duplo to place brackets under/around small mining hardware Wink (and my network devices)
Got lots of it from when the kids were young, it's very sturdy even when put together, and it has a very low % contact area on the top.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
DaCryptoRaccoon

Activity: 1198
Merit: 580

OGRaccoon

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 03:19:27 AM

Count me in I would take one for sure.  Wink

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
┃   💎 Mine Solo with CKPool 💎    ┃
┃    ➤ Hit Blocks on Your Own!      ┃
┃ ███▓▓  ███▓▓  ███▓▓  ███▓▓┃
buzz2015

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 10:54:35 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2021, 11:20:05 AM by buzz2015

I'd definitely be considering a few. Been tinkering with an R606 I purchased from bitshopper, its pretty deadly. I tried it on my old slush account, not making much returns there; however, to be expected. So I've put the unit on at http://pool-btc.ga mining solo BVG, its smashes those blocks like an absolute beast, some really clever gadgetry going on, hardware was always my issue back in the day, the S3's I was running were bought second hand, so the r606 coupled with a lower difficulty coin - I've never seen anything like it.

I've been deploying some mining contracts through http://miningrigrentals.com, and the r606 (solo-http://pool-btc.ga) is outmatching an S9 (pplns) http://persianmine.net, though this may be due to the difficulty settings used by the pools on the coins I am targeting (mainly BVG).

I like the r606 form factor, although for a stack something like those FPGA cards in a ATX / mini-ATX case would look pretty good, if cooling wasn't an issue.

I would suggest that keeping the Rpi away from the assembly would be a good idea at least for offering a scalable product, I think issues experienced by R606 users may be associated with RAM, the headless Rpi 4 is running at least one r606 very well, i don't really know enough about what each component in that configuration is doing, but an FPGA style offering to be paired with a proliant system would probably spark alot of interest from bigger commercial contractors.

From the RnD off this device i've bitten the bullet and building a cryptopool at http://moonpool.io

Keep us posted !
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 02:26:17 PM

"bigger commercial contractors" can take a hike, they already own the entire hardware market

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
buzz2015

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 07:31:00 AM
Last edit: February 19, 2021, 12:23:25 AM by frodocooper

I'm genuinely surprised that the network hashrate is even viewable, it's gotta be a given that the public pool fee rates are disproportionately applied, i mean i reckon at least half the visible pools are using their own mining rigs, which as you say are manufactured by the same enterprise.

I gather this means Gekko Science has embargos against various corporations... I was really only suggesting from a manufacturing perspective and in terms of managing risk, say have a card compatible with an atx / mini-atx would create several liability, a SSH access for the product - it would mitigate a concern for Gekko Science in the product's distribution (though it is my intention, I am not readily read up on US law, but from a UK comparison). There are benefits to a "third party chassis".
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2021, 11:53:26 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I'm interested, depending on the price, fan noise and whether it will be available in Europe.

Another option is make it fit mini ITX motherboard mounts so it could go in a mini-itx case for easy cooling - like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T94W9YS.

A mini itx case is a good idea. I have some metal plates in this form factor with mounting holes to build an adapter plate. I hope that if the new miner should show up, they will have some holes to attach to an adapter plate with spacers.

I posted something similar the other day.

Makes you wonder if something like the old BFL monarchs would work. They could be hooked up via USB or through a PCIe connector.
They were more or less a massive, at the time before all the insane sized GPUs, PCIe card.

Back then the few people who got them used USB.

Now I have one in a PC case in the corner of the room acting as a space heater. It does not look like miner, it does not sound like a miner.
It's looks like an older mid tower PC.

Yes, it's not hooked up though the PCie at the moment, just though an RPi sitting in the case. But the concept seems interesting.

Would also save on manufacturing costs, since there would be no case, just a board.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 05:49:29 PM

Intending the end user to supply the case becomes a significant factor for cooling, and I don't trust end users to do this correctly often enough to base a product around the idea. Leaves a lot of room for the occasional idiot to roast his unit and talk without ceasing about service and replacement and to quote the lady from the meme, "ain't nobody got time fo' dat".

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2021, 10:52:43 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2021, 12:23:02 AM by frodocooper

Yeah, I guess I didn't think that through from the customer service side. Although you could probably just put in a very low thermal cutoff, it's not worth it. But it would still be cool as an option, I like home mining even if it's not efficient, but hate the way miners look.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vegascoinpool

Activity: 223
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 12:39:57 AM

...that ran around 2TH over USB from around 145W (12V PCIe), would anyone buy it?

Been wanting this for years.
buzz2015

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 09:56:53 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2021, 12:38:01 AM by frodocooper

I suppose there are sides to being a good seller although responsibility for unit / user malfunction cannot entirely be a fault of the seller. I think cooling in gaming style cases has improved leaps and bounds over the last decade... the power supply is a third party addition, utilising the pcie blanks for spacing with  some kind of custom cradle for a tek-fix to the case / chassis would possibly work? Those custom milled heat sinks could be turned down a notch and hey presto -- a scalable blade based system  Grin --- you could prohibit user malfunction with the heat sinks.
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 2223

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2021, 04:44:27 AM

just now seeing this thread, I am stoked - if you need anyone to test one, I would like to volunteer - I am sure you have no shortage of volunteers Smiley

either way, I look forward to seeing what you do. I love my r606's had 4 of them but my son now has 2 of them.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
mvagusta

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2021, 07:26:00 PM

sign me up also! Thanks
K21000

Activity: 71
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 23, 2021, 06:11:38 PM

I would buy another R606 like miner if it was developed, my R606 which i bought in 2019 still works after almost 2 years
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
February 23, 2021, 07:31:29 PM

I would buy another R606 like miner if it was developed, my R606 which i bought in 2019 still works after almost 2 years

Would you expect any less from a Gekkoscience product  Grin

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
mstrozier

Activity: 114
Merit: 151

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 07:29:29 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2021, 01:08:27 AM by frodocooper

Yup I'd be interested as well.  Still have my 2 R606's and 4 newpacs running and have been for the most part trouble free. One pod had a fan die in it but was easy enough for me to rig up a couple of fans to it.
iteratemoveon

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 06, 2021, 02:46:27 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2021, 11:34:31 PM by frodocooper

Count me in!

Sidehack, I’m a “long time listener, first time caller”. Your hardware is solid. Here to support you and your builds. Put me down for 2.
Brewzr

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 06, 2021, 07:00:31 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2021, 11:34:12 PM by frodocooper

So its been a couple of months now since you proposed the idea and from what I've read you have a big thumbs up for the go ahead.

Is there an update forthcoming on what you're dreaming up? My R606 and 8 newpacs are looking for a new friend.  I also ordered the standalone miner from Apollo so waiting on that one to arrive.

Anything home BTC miner related is a big swing in the right direction so I will continue to support any company or persons that develop them.
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 10:42:51 PM

I personally would love one. Getting back into crypto after a long hiatus, would love to set up a mini plug&play rig that can hold it's own against the mass of ASICs nowadays. Still have a have a block eruptor in a desk somewhere, have fond memories of that lil guy Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: