Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:05:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ECBS Lagarde Callls for Regulating Bitcoins  (Read 47 times)
hv_ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2021, 02:54:03 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ecbs-lagarde-calls-for-regulating-bitcoins-funny-business/ar-BB1cIfM8

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 13, 2021, 08:41:40 PM

"(Bitcoin) is a highly speculative asset, which has conducted some funny business and some interesting and totally reprehensible money laundering activity," Lagarde said in an interview at the Reuters Next conference.

Lagarde did not provide specific examples of money laundering cases but said she understood there had been criminal investigations into illegal activity. She did not elaborate.

sounds legit. Roll Eyes

sadly, the writing is on the wall---2021 is gonna be the year bitcoin gets regulated to shit. the USA is looking to pass those self-hosted wallet regulations to prevent third party money transmission by exchanges, and they're also threatening to implement the FATF travel rule with a $250 reporting threshold!

get ready for KYC on the tiniest of bitcoin transactions!

the EU is obviously getting ready to join the party too.

Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
January 13, 2021, 09:44:12 PM

Christine Lagarde called on Wednesday for global regulation of Bitcoin, saying the digital currency had been used for money laundering activities in some instances and that any loopholes needed to be closed.

Lagarde did not provide specific examples of money laundering cases but said she understood there had been criminal investigations into illegal activity. She did not elaborate.

Well this is another case of an official where they see cryptocurrency as the problem and not the crime itself, global regulation for Bitcoin or just a ban for it won't make money laundering or any other crimes involve with it disappear they just simply move into another kind of method and the bottomline is the problem, money laundering, will still be there. I don't even know if Lagarde is up to date or knows what she even is talking about when criminals have move to a more private or anonymity focus cryptocurrency like Monero because both the authorities and criminals know Bitcoin is traceable. For me Lagarde even though it looks like she is calling the shots I don't think she has the power to do a "global regulation" or have a big influence in it.
Darker45
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1859

🙏🏼Padayon...🙏

View Profile
January 14, 2021, 02:22:49 AM

Sometimes I really appreciate Lagarde and sometimes I don't.

Anyway, Bitcoin can't be regulated strictly speaking. But with this call from ECB's head, there might follow stricter sets of crypto regulations and implementations across the EU, and most probably worldwide, on Bitcoin-related services which certainly include exchanges more than others, so let us all prepare for the worst and brace ourselves for it.  

But Bitcoin is not created for dirty and funny business. Bitcoin means serious business. Lagarde should be aware that there is nothing dirtier and funnier than the fiat monetary system and the banks.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
hv_ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2021, 10:13:31 AM

Sometimes I really appreciate Lagarde and sometimes I don't.

Anyway, Bitcoin can't be regulated strictly speaking. But with this call from ECB's head, there might follow stricter sets of crypto regulations and implementations across the EU, and most probably worldwide, on Bitcoin-related services which certainly include exchanges more than others, so let us all prepare for the worst and brace ourselves for it.  

But Bitcoin is not created for dirty and funny business. Bitcoin means serious business. Lagarde should be aware that there is nothing dirtier and funnier than the fiat monetary system and the banks.

I hear that, but for getting from the 'wannabe' for serious business (and I remember the time, when business got kicked out and denounced on bitcoin.org at Segwit / 2x days...) to really  BE the thing for serious business there is a big gap in stability of governance and capacity >> scalability of  defined product 

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: