Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:13:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] iMac A1311 Late 2009 upgraded to 8GB RAM, Bitcoin equivalent of $299  (Read 39 times)
Bitcoin_Stuff_Seller (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2021, 03:52:31 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2021, 03:28:07 PM by Bitcoin_Stuff_Seller

Hey guys, this is my first time here, and I figured I'd get into bitcoin. Especially now, since the price is dropping, but it is a great long-term investment since it's the future of decentralized, untracked cash. So if I get some stuff wrong please correct me.

I'm selling a 21.5" iMac from late 2009, model number A1311. It is in almost perfect condition. Specs:

3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo
8GB RAM (upgraded)
7200 RPM 500GB HDD
1080p display

It is the perfect computer for office work, maybe as a kid's computer, or just a cheap backup computer. At the moment it is running High Sierra, but I can install Windows/Linux if you want, though I'm not touching drivers.

There are a couple *cosmetic* imperfections. If you view the screen off to the side at full brightness, you can just make out a vertical scratch down the far left side that's barely visible. You have to try really hard to see it though so it's basically irrelevant. Also, there is a tiny chip in the aluminum just behind the optical drive; this does not impede functionality as the optical drive/SD card reader work fine.

Since it's in basically perfect condition, I think the Bitcoin equivalent of $299 is a good price, but give me your offers and I'll take the best one.

If it looks different than the description, it was probably damaged during shipping - just message me and I'll try to help. I'll try to pack it well though, to minimize that happening.

I might take a while to respond since it's night here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
7empest
Copper Member

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 14, 2021, 04:20:47 PM

Hey guys, this is my first time here, and I figured I'd get into bitcoin. Especially now, since the price is dropping, but it is a great long-term investment since it's the future of decentralized, untracked cash. So if I get some stuff wrong please correct me.

Bitcoin is a great investment period.
To say it's untracked however is not correct. Transactions are 100% tracked, recorded, and PUBLIC on the blockchain. Bitcoin is not completely anonymous. With enough investigation it is possible to track the owner of a wallet address. This is one reason why it is critical to never re-use the same receiving address(however for some business purposes I may sometimes use the same address for ease of accounting). If you are jumping into this I highly recommend doing a ton of research. There are tactics that you can use to help protect your privacy but due diligence is a must.
A couple of good resources are:

https://www.lopp.net/

https://bitcoin.org

I also think you are asking too much for a iMac of that age by quite a bit. Take a look at eBay prices on those. You are obviously free to ask whatever you'd like but being as you are new and asking above market value you are likely to be dismissed by most people immediately.
Best of luck with your sale and welcome to Bitcoin!
Bitcoin_Stuff_Seller (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2021, 07:28:31 PM

Thanks for the tips. I looked at my local Craigslist and saw that a similar model was selling for around my price; of course, bitcoin prices have fluctuated like crazy since then. I'll price it conservatively as a buffer if prices rise.

You're right about tracking, but doesn't using Tor to access wallets mitigate much of it? I know Bitcoin transfers from address to address can be tracked, but couldn't I also transfer it to some anonymous currency (like Monero) and transfer that currency, cloaked, to my own address?

Also (and this is just scientific), how can you use different receiving addresses with the same wallet? Shouldn't that make it hard /impossible to verify transactions?
7empest
Copper Member

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 14, 2021, 07:34:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. I looked at my local Craigslist and saw that a similar model was selling for around my price; of course, bitcoin prices have fluctuated like crazy since then. I'll price it conservatively as a buffer if prices rise.

You're right about tracking, but doesn't using Tor to access wallets mitigate much of it? I know Bitcoin transfers from address to address can be tracked, but couldn't I also transfer it to some anonymous currency (like Monero) and transfer that currency, cloaked, to my own address?

Also (and this is just scientific), how can you use different receiving addresses with the same wallet? Shouldn't that make it hard /impossible to verify transactions?

As I stated before you just need to do a lot of research about Bitcoin. All of the answers to your questions are available in those resources I linked.
With that stated, I was trying to be helpful replying to your topic however this is the Marketplace so ya need to keep to just selling/buying on this sub. There are other subs to ask questions on.

Good luck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: