Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:04:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: smoke detector  (Read 299 times)
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 17, 2021, 05:58:41 PM

You can use a second psu if your first one is out of connectors...or near its limit on total power...but you need to follow a few basic rules for dual psu.... (atx psus...likewhat you are using now)

You can use a 2pin y cable that will start both psus at same time.  like this...  https://www.amazon.com/Qaoquda-Power-Supply-Adapter-Motherboard/dp/B078W4H16S/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=dual+psu+y+cable&qid=1610902119&sr=8-1

You must connect all mobo connections to one psu... (cpu / molex )

Each gpu & riser must be from the same psu.  Never gpu from psu 1 and riser its on connected to psu 2....that is a nono.

Thats pretty much it.

You can also do it with your psu (again only it hooked to motherboard)
Then power gpus/riser combos until the psu1 is full.  Again never combine psus to a gpu/riser combo.

Then for second psu you can use something like a server psu with a break out board....

https://www.amazon.com/579229-001-Platinum-Supply-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07HFJHFZ9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16DALFEDVT53F&dchild=1&keywords=1200w+server+power+supply&qid=1610902320&sprefix=server+1200w%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-1

with an adapter like

https://www.amazon.com/Ethereum-Mining-Breakout-Adapter-Graphics/dp/B07D6NC5LK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3CKPJ9BQNK1EQ&dchild=1&keywords=server+psu+breakout+board&qid=1610902366&sprefix=server+psu+brea%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-2

And you will have a lot of 6 and 6+2 connectors and 1200ws added to your rig.  

Current rig has 2 corsair PSU using the 2 pin Y cable as you posted earlier.
main PSU that is 850 W is powering the Mobo and 3 GPUs and their risers. Other CPU that is 1000W is powering remaining 4 GPU and its risers.
I want to replace the SATA cables with the PCIE cables.
So both PSU would have 4 6-Pin and 1 8-Pin slots available at back.
Ideally if I could find a wire with 6-Pin at one end and PCIE at the other end it would be great.
I want to avoid using server PSU as they are noisy.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Well the other option is the TRIPLE PSU adapter....works just like the 2....same rules apply....only a single psu for mobo or any gpu/riser.  As the movie lines go....”Do not cross the streams!”  Smiley

https://www.amazon.com/Ports-Triple-Supply-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B07CMK58RD/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=triple+psu+y+cable&qid=1610906010&sr=8-1

Im not sure how loud you think server psus are...they are a bit louder due to smaller size fan.  They make a bit more noise but as you look at 3 psus their fans usually arent silent either..and i can tell you on big rigs with 13 cards the gpu fans make more noise thean anything else....13-39 fans buzzing away makes some noise.  The server psu is the least expensive way to add a lot of power which is why a lot of folks use them.  Currently PSU prices are like gpu prices...silly.
deskless (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 17, 2021, 07:01:14 PM

main PSU that is 850 W is powering the Mobo and 3 GPUs and their risers. Other CPU that is 1000W is powering remaining 4 GPU and its risers.
Ideally if I could find a wire with 6-Pin at one end and PCIE at the other end it would be great.

Well the other option is the TRIPLE PSU adapter....works just like the 2....same rules apply....only a single psu for mobo or any gpu/riser.  As the movie lines go....”Do not cross the streams!”  Smiley

https://www.amazon.com/Ports-Triple-Supply-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B07CMK58RD/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=triple+psu+y+cable&qid=1610906010&sr=8-1

Im not sure how loud you think server psus are...they are a bit louder due to smaller size fan.  They make a bit more noise but as you look at 3 psus their fans usually arent silent either..and i can tell you on big rigs with 13 cards the gpu fans make more noise thean anything else....13-39 fans buzzing away makes some noise.  The server psu is the least expensive way to add a lot of power which is why a lot of folks use them.  Currently PSU prices are like gpu prices...silly.

Do you think I could just use a 8-Pin PCIE and just use 6 pins to power up riser? This way one 8-Pin takes care of 2 of the Risers ?
miner29

View Profile
January 18, 2021, 12:27:30 AM

Do you think I could just use a 8-Pin PCIE and just use 6 pins to power up riser? This way one 8-Pin takes care of 2 of the Risers ?

An 8pin is good for 288w.  Stay within the limit and will be fine..  if each riser draws 75 watts max you could power 3 risers from one 8pin.  75x3=225w..limit is 288w.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1052

View Profile
January 18, 2021, 03:51:17 PM

No surprise.

Sata can provide a MAX of 54w.  PCIe slot (riser in this case) must be able to supply up to 75w.  This is why it is a bad idea to use a sata to power a riser.  

The actual specs require either a molex or a 6pin plug to provde enough power.  Sata does not meet it by almost 50%.

You can find plenty of sites that list the specifications.  You can ignore the facts.  When you melt or burn ... its on you.  
If there are 3 sata power connectors on 1 wire, and 1 hard drive can consume 20-30 watts, then the wires must be designed for a load of 100 watts.
If the wire melted, then the transmitted power was more than 100 watts.

No sir.  Check the specs.  54w total on a sata chain for all connectors on that chain total.  Problem is a single PCIe can draw 75w.  You are trying to agrue against the specification of the connectors and wiring.  Just because you can plug 3 drives in doesnt mean it is safe to do..just like using a sata to 6pin converter is not safe.  

Maximum current is 4.5amps at 12v for a sata connector and cables. 4.5v * 12v = 54w

Another page dedicated to specifications of pc power connectors.....  http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Amazing people will argue with a defined specification made by experts in the field...your flawed thinking is exactly what melts wires and starts fires.  
I completely agree with you, but nowadays there are very few 4-pin connectors (molex) on modern power supplies.
Therefore, we use adapters Sata - 6 pins or Sata 4 pins.
I've read that expensive power supplies use thicker wires and wire braids to handle a higher load.
Stalker22
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1359

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 06:41:33 PM

And, don't forget, smoke detectors. And speaking of which, fire extinguishers are recommended as well.  Cheesy

█████████████████████████
██
█████▀▀███████▀▀███████
█████▀░░▄███████▄░░▀█████
██▀░░██████▀░▀████░░▀██
██▀░░▀▀▀████████████░░▀██
██░░█▄████▀▀███▀█████░░██
██░░███▄▄███████▀▀███░░██
██░░█████████████████░░██
██▄░░████▄▄██████▄▄█░░▄██
██▄░░██████▄░░████░░▄██
█████▄░░▀███▌░░▐▀░░▄█████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
█████████████████████████
.ROOBET 2.0..██████.IIIIIFASTER & SLEEKER.██████.
|

█▄█
▀█▀
████▄▄██████▄▄████
█▄███▀█░░█████░░█▀███▄█
▀█▄▄░▐█████████▌▄▄█▀
██▄▄█████████▄▄████▌
██████▄▄████████
█▀▀████████████████
██████
█████████████
██
█▀▀██████████████
▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
    PLAY NOW    
miner29

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 08:20:37 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

And, don't forget, smoke detectors. And speaking of which, fire extinguishers are recommended as well.  Cheesy

https://www.amazon.com/Fireball-Automatic-Extinguisher-Pieces-Small/dp/B0748MPFCS/ref=sr_1_28?dchild=1&keywords=fire%2Bextinguisher%2Bball%2Btype%2Bc&qid=1611087567&sr=8-28&th=1

Automatic
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 20, 2021, 03:36:10 PM

I just skimmed through the posts. Apologize if this is duplicate info:

Another way to heat up your miner wiring is to start mining before running MSI or what ever software sets up the cards. If not setup with MSI first, my cards will run full out.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: