Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 10:34:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Imagine "liking" a post and this happens later  (Read 19 times)
Ucy (OP)

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
January 18, 2021, 05:46:22 PM

The owner of the post edits the post in the future to something evil... making it look like those who like the post support/like the evil information in the edited post.

Example:
Alex writes "I love cats.They are awesome!"  Alex expects his target (cat lover) to like his post..  The post gets couple of "likes" from cat lovers (including his target). 1week or month later, Alex changes the "I love cat..." post to "I hate this politician, he must be destroyed next month".

This ^ could be used as a form of attack on people who like posts that can be edited but   without edit history. Imagine if something happens to the politicians as threatened by Alex. People who like the post could be seen as supporters of his evil course and may be targeted by "hasty" law enforcement people.

It can be really risky "liking" editable posts without transparent edit history.
I think I like how it's possible to go through history of edited posts on Facebook for this reason. You could replicate this on decentralized platforms or social media by having immutable and transparent edited post history
Ucy (OP)

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
January 18, 2021, 06:17:14 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2021, 06:30:09 PM by Ucy

It can be really risky "liking" editable posts without transparent edit history.
I think I like how it's possible to go through history of edited posts on Facebook for this reason. You could replicate this on decentralized platforms or social media by having immutable and transparent edited post history

Wrote this👇 about immutablity:

Immutablity does not prevent you from changing something of "historic value"
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5270395.msg55037915#msg55037915

It's about shared things though, (like things public are stakeholders in) .
I don't think you really need consensus to edit your post, especially as a non-public person.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: