Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:55:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could someone help please? BFGMiner and antminer hashrate discrepancies - SOLO  (Read 76 times)
BitcoinSoloMiner (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 18, 2021, 10:08:12 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2021, 12:31:31 AM by frodocooper

Can someone explain for me why BFGMiner setup with bitcoin core solo mining configuration is reporting 200GH/s whereas in the antminer firmware its reporting 14TH/s? I run for over hour with 200GH/s as average, so its not the refresh fault. I have tried pooled mining and get over 10TH/s accepted, so its working at hashrates advertised in firmware. It seems the issue is with BFGMiner but i could be wrong, i really have no idea what is causing it to only pull 200GH/s.

My PC is 'good enough' to handle BFGMiner, so wheres the bottle neck? is it BFGMiner? im really  Shocked Angry Huh I wouldn't want to bother the developer with my n00b question, but i just might, however perhaps a knowledgeable user on this forum could assist me in my adventure?

solo mining ftw  Smiley

around 10% rejected shares - is that bad? would that cause it to go as low as 200GHs though?

https://i.imgur.com/GmkRV6S.png
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6405

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
January 18, 2021, 11:38:56 PM

around 10% rejected shares - is that bad? would that cause it to go as low as 200GHs though?

10% rejected shares while you are still at 10 mins elapsed-time is not just bad, it's terrible, also the average hashrate reported by the miner is 57,502 which obviously isn't right, I would first check that there is nothing wrong with the miner by mining to a proper pool for at least a day since you are interested in solo mining then just do the testing on Cksolo pool > https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5237323.0.

Once you rule out the possibility of the miner being the root cause of the problem then you can troubleshooting further, I have a silly question tho, why use BFGminer with an S9 when it has its own software called Bmminer?  I assume there is a reason which I don't seem to figure out.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitcoinSoloMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 12:17:20 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2021, 12:58:32 AM by BitcoinSoloMiner

thanks for your reply.

I have tried to hash with nicehash and slushpool, they both report sustained 10THs (after long runs - 1-4+ hours) so i dont think the issue is with my antminer. so this leads me to believe the issue isnt with my antminer as pooled mining i get at least 10THs sometimes up to 14THs, which is far from 220GHs shown in bfgminer.

if you look at the bottom it says 14Ths, which is close to my 10-14THs figure in pooled mining, also it says 14ghs RT just left of the 50,000 figure, so clearly something is wrong and i agree with you on that, however why does bfgminer show only 200 GHs and pooled mining i get over 10THs?

would you recommend another program other than bfgminer? or perhaps there are some tweaks i can perform in bfgminer? how else can i connect the antminer to bitcoin core? google search is very unhelpfull with lots of outdated info, broken links, and what seems to be malware.

edit: i use BFGMIner because it allows me to solo mine with bitcoin core on localhost (i think i need to use it for stratum proxy?)

edit: i also have an issue whereby the antminer resets every 15-20 minutes, declared sick on bfgminer for less than a minute, then comes back online, what is causing this? i look in kernal and i cant find anything out the obvious other than the fans go to 100% because of a temp read that isnt received, also bmminer fails to load a few times before succesfully being loaded...

your advice is greatly appreciated, in the mean time i will try the link you provided and hash with ckpool for 10 hours

thanks again and i look forward to your reply.

2nd edit: braiins os+ kept my fans running low speed, only rising when hashing and 3/3 boards were reporting temps whereas bitmain firmware only 2/3 temps are received and the fans spin at 100% all the time but i had to uninstall brains os+ as they wouldn't allow me to solo mine with bfgminer (bfgminer pool reported as dead) so firmware is definitely an issue, im having trouble SSHing into my antminer right now too, to do the commenting signature not found hack so i can upload a different firmware, will report back when have progress  Undecided waiting on a sd card reader to arrive so i can do a manual firmware update
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2549

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 12:59:05 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2021, 01:24:12 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Frankly I am surprised a s9 will even run using BFG miner...
IMHO, Luke Jr.'s BFG is a crap clone of cgminer and is best used with BLF products that pretty much required it. Guaranteed that BM's hack of cgminer that they call BMminer has a lot of s9-specific tweaks in it that BFG has no idea how to do..

In short - stick with the original Bitmain or various 3rd party firmwares such as Braiins.
You know, there are other solo pools out there:
For one, if running OEM or Brains firmware there is my favorite, KanoPool and follow the instructions for registering as solo.

If using other 3rd party firmwares, use  -ck's solo pool it also allows direct mining to a wallet address with no registration.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
BitcoinSoloMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 01:10:18 AM

i would love to use braiins but i cant solo mine with braiins unfortunately, maybe ill give ckpool mining a go with braiins - see if that works

update: getting about 10ths on ckpool, whilst bfgminer is reporting only 220GHs, very strange!

i would like to setup my own pool one day Cheesy
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 01:12:56 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2021, 01:25:08 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

it is because both KanoPool and -ck's use stratum which these days is the expected connection. As for what BFG reports - no idea as it has not been updated in ages.

edit: Yay! Finally got the above links right! Phunky phlying phingers and all that.... Wink

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
BitcoinSoloMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 01:29:36 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2021, 10:44:49 PM by frodocooper

i see now, its only taken 2 weeks to get to this stage of realising bfgminer is no good anymore Tongue google search really does not like what i type in.

how can i tell if i mined a block?

thank you both for your replies, it seems i have found my solution of using bfgminer as a proxy between antminer and ckpool, i was unable to connect directly with antminer (pool showed as dead). will now upgrade to braiins os and try the solo ckpool out again (without bfgminer as proxy)

any other recommendations for firmware?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 01:43:18 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2021, 01:54:55 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

yesss.... Um check the mining software area... There are several there.

query - why using a proxy? Overall a bad idea unless you have a ton of miners behind it and wherever you point them at complains about too many connections.

As for knowing if you solo found a block - both KanoPool and -ck's solo pool will let you know ASAP and it will also very quickly be posted in their respective pool threads.

mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 05:00:47 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2021, 10:46:35 PM by frodocooper

im having trouble SSHing into my antminer right now too, to do the commenting signature not found hack so i can upload a different firmware, will report back when have progress  Undecided waiting on a sd card reader to arrive so i can do a manual firmware update.

Please say you didn't upgrade to the latest bitmain firmware, if you did, you are in a trouble, it's highly unlikely that even SDcarding the miner will get rid of it. Embarrassed

any other recommendations for firmware?

If you want to auto-tune for overclocking/downclocking your gear then the best firmware out there would be Vnish aka Asic.to and AwesomeMiner, check the software section to locate those, but if you just want a few more settings than the stock firmware then Braiins os is very solid and it's free.

Now as far as the restart issue goes, or why the miner drops a hashboard from time to time, please post the complete kernel log and I should be able to help you.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitcoinSoloMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2021, 10:27:43 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2021, 10:45:46 PM by frodocooper

https://i.imgur.com/0bhf2Mt.png

This is a copy from 5 hours of hashing with nicehash. anyone care to comment on these figures?

some very high numbers there, thats alot of discarded shares? would that be considered a small amount of accepted for this time frame? yet also thats the first time ive seen best share in double-million-digits.
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2021, 03:21:49 AM
Merited by NotFuzzyWarm (1)

This is a copy from 5 hours of hashing with nicehash. anyone care to comment on these figures?

some very high numbers there, thats alot of discarded shares? would that be considered a small amount of accepted for this time frame? yet also thats the first time ive seen best share in double-million-digits.

This is because when you point your miner to nicehash - you are subject to mine all coins that are based on SHA256, some of those will have an extremely low difficulty, you miner may even solve a dozen blocks in a few hours, some pools aren't so "hash rental friendly" so they will reject/discard many shares, there is a truckload of reasons on why the miner status can be so strange while mining to nicehash, this is why you should always mine to a BITCOIN pool while you are testing your miner, and even after that if you want my opinion.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████