Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:11:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi - corrupted blocks  (Read 314 times)
Rath_ (OP)
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
January 27, 2021, 01:55:31 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2021, 02:13:52 PM by Rath_

Do you think that the SCP upload got disrupted mid-copy and abruptly left some blocks partially-copied? I don't think SCP attempts to finish copying interrupted transfers.

I don't think that SCP is the culprit. I have already tried copying all the files using Windows Explorer when the whole drive was formatted to exFat. I am also using WinSCP which I believe resumes interrupted transfers.

Given that the scp transfer took a whole night the speed probably wasn't that great. Possibly several dozen Kbytes/s?

It was about 18-20 MB/s, so the transfer took about 5-6 hours. With a samba server, I could get those speeds up to 100 MB/s.

Check your block files with md5sum and make sure they're all the same as the ones you have locally.

I could do that, but it is very likely to be a waste of time. The error indicates that there is something wrong with the latest block which I believe was not downloaded on my PC.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is there is some hardware issue that is only showing itself when the system is under load, like when it's verifying the blockchain or a block. But, that is really a stretch.

I could try running either -reindex or -reindex-chainstate as the debug.log suggests, but I guess that would take a few days. When the drive was formatted to exFat, after the corruption had occurred on the Pi, I tried connecting it to my PC and replacing the "chainstate" folder with a backup, but I couldn't modify that folder unless I ran a Windows built-in repair tool.

I have configured my samba server with the exFat partition and everything seems to be working fine. I have transferred a few large files back-and-forth and there are no corruptions so far.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
January 27, 2021, 02:22:14 PM

Probably a stupid question, but you're not copying the blockchain while the client is running?  If so, the database will be changing as it's copied, and you will always get corruption.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Rath_ (OP)
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2021, 02:23:48 PM

Probably a stupid question, but you're not copying the blockchain while the client is running?  If so, the database will be changing as it's copied, and you will always get corruption.

Of course, not. I have turned off Bitcoin Core for every single transfer. It was also not running on the Raspberry Pi.
Rath_ (OP)
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 11:53:12 AM

Why don't you just copy the files directly with the external USB drive from another device? it's faster and you don't need to worry about unstable/slow connection.

Windows does not support ext4 natively, so I can't do it again. I have already done that when the whole drive was formatted to exFat. Bitcoin Core loaded everything properly from that drive on my main PC, but it failed on the Pi. I have run -reindex-chainstate on the Pi and I am currently waiting for it to finish. I think that there might be a problem with my power supply, so I will try replacing it once the reindex has finished.

Edit: My Pi's red LED has started blinking which means that the voltage is too low. I will try replacing both the power brick and the cable.
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2021, 12:22:56 PM

Edit: My Pi's red LED has started blinking which means that the voltage is too low. I will try replacing both the power brick and the cable.

Are you using a RPi3 or a 4, I'm on a mobile at the moment and I didn't see if you said which. I have had a 3 get stupid and trigger low voltage warnings when it was not really low.
Was another issue, but I wasted a lot of time tracking it down. Found a few people on the RPi discussions that had the same problem.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Rath_ (OP)
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 12:29:18 PM

Not sure if it's related, but what is version of linux kernel your Pi? I remember there's new/updated exFAT on version 5.7.

I don't think it's related since my blockchain data is currently stored on the ext4 partition. My kernel version is 5.4.

Are you using a RPi3 or a 4, I'm on a mobile at the moment and I didn't see if you said which. I have had a 3 get stupid and trigger low voltage warnings when it was not really low.

I am using a RPi 4 with 4 GB of RAM.
Rath_ (OP)
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 09:15:34 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I decided not to wait for the reindex to finish as it would take a few more days. I have replaced the power brick, formatted the SSD to exFat and copied all folders from my data directory again. It looks like the power supply was the culprit. My node works perfectly fine now. I am surprised that I was able to compile Bitcoin Core without any problems. The Pi was under load for about 3.5 hours and nothing was corrupted in the process.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: