Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:32:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ledger live, and Electrum say zero balance ??  (Read 82 times)
xcaret (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 7

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 10:55:24 PM

I was having nothing but problems with my Ledger nano S ,and I read on here minutes ago, I could use Electrum, I down loaded it .
I got my private key generated, so It's paired ( I think) .

On Ledger Live  I could see 2 accounts . but under portfolio it said total balance , and nothing beside it , not zero ,just nothing at all .
I checked several months ago ,and was sure there were a few dollars still in my account .( I may have been wrong ) .
That was on my old ,now destroyed laptop.
I downloaded Ledger Live onto my 64 bit windows 10 desk top PC ,but My Ledger nano S doesnt seem to be connected properly .It's confusing because I was able to update to version 1.6.1 from 1.3.2 .

A few days ago while trying to activate my Ledger I got a private key showing on my Ledger wallet (I think it was a private key) and it told me to be sure it matched what my pc said . Now it only says "Application ready " .
The same as when I go to Electrum. nothing on my Ledger changes ,only my PC monitor shows things .
How can I be sure The Ledger is connected to Ledger live , or Electrum ?   
Electrum doesn't show my 2 accounts that Ledger Live shows .
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1793

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2021, 11:04:04 PM

Did you follow the steps from https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005161925-Set-up-and-use-Electrum to connect your wallet? From the looks of it, it sounds like your wallet is connected but your address doesn't match up. Did you back up your seeds (the words that you get when you set up your wallet)?

The "application-ready" part usually shows when you open an app on the Ledger (Bitcoin app, Ethereum, etc), I don't think it's a big deal.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
xcaret (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 11:05:37 PM

Well I don't think my Ledger is connecting to either sites.
I unplugged it ,and went to those sites and it didn't make a difference .

To see what would happen in Ledger Live , I pretended to send , it said error,  Then said my Ledger may not be plugged in or maybe my anti virus is blocking it.
I only have the security that comes with windows 10
Any ideas ?  
TimtheYoutuber

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2021, 11:06:37 PM

This is very confusing because you're saying private key but I don't think you actually have been using it.

Do you have your recovery phrase? If so, you can use any wallet that uses the same phrase type.

Ledger sometimes glitches or has syncing problems which is why your wallet might be saying you have 0 coins. Don't worry though, if you have your recovery phrase you're okay because the coins are not actually on Ledger but rather are connected to the blockchain.

You can use your private key or recovery phrase on another wallet. If you need any more help you can PM me your telegram and I can try and help further. There are guides on how to reset your device if you have your phrase that I can direct you to as well.

Positivebetting
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 11:09:27 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2021, 08:32:56 AM by 20kevin20

You have most likely generated a seed, not a private key. If your Ledger is that old, are you sure there is no other seed you have ever generated before? Different seeds generate different keys, so all you basically have to do is just find your old seed. The only moments you see it is either when you first initialize your Ledger or through their app that lets you re-check the words, so I suspect you have just done the former action.

If yiu enter Ledger Live and the Bitcoin accounts show up as zero without any kind of history on them, then theft is out of the equation. If someone stole your bucks, you would see it in the list of transactions.

Try your best to remember if and where your older seed is so that you can recover the wallet with balance on it.
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1793

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2021, 11:11:22 PM

What "sites" are you talking about? If you tried to connect on an Ethereum website like MyCrypto but you open the Bitcoin app on your Ledger it will obviously not recognized it. Maybe try to focus on connecting with Electrum first to check whether it works or not.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
xcaret (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 11:30:04 PM

I downloaded  https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005161925-Set-up-and-use-Electrum, and even Ledger live seems to connect , but still showing no balance .
Electrum doesn't show my account that should be in my Ledger .( or should they be?
xcaret (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 11:53:02 PM

Oh yeah, that's when I saw what looked like private keys, I had forgotten my original 24 seed words ,but knew my password ,so I did what ever it said to do to put new seed words in my
Ledger nano S . ( through the Ledger Live site)

Today when I went to the Electrum site ,after downloading it, they asked for my 24 seed words, which I typed in
I have fooled around with this Ledger nano for days now .

Maybe I have no BTC , but in 2018 I remember selling most of my BTC, for cash and I'm sure there was a few dollars left ,but less than $20 so I think I said not to bother with so little, I sold several BTC at the time .

The reason I'm trying to see if they are in my account is because I'm thinking of buying some more ,and want to be sure everything is working .
Should Electrum see my accounts in my Ledger ,or does it work that way?   

20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 08:52:34 AM

Rather than inserting the private key into Electrum upon first start, you should set it up another way.

Have you followed every single step properly from the link above (https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005161925-Set-up-and-use-Electrum)? It's not a link to a download, it's a tutorial!

When you open Electrum, go to File and create a new wallet by following the link above. But the thing is, if Ledger Live doesn't see BTC balances, you most likely will not see any balance on Electrum either.

When you plug your Ledger into your PC and unlock it using the PIN code you set up, do you have the Bitcoin app on your Ledger display? If yes, enter it. You should see the "Application ready" message on your Ledger. Then, open up Ledger Live and add new accounts for Bitcoin. Give it some time for it to scan multiple accounts - are all the accounts that show up fully empty?

After adding the accounts for BTC, in the Ledger Live dashboard (where you see the graph of your money, right under it) you should have a history of transactions... do you see any transaction there? If yes, then you have the right seed but you have previously spent all your BTC..

The seed should never be introduced on a PC. It should sit on an offline thing (such as a paper). When you insert it manually in a computer, it removes the purpose of a Ledger which is to store your seed and private keys in an offline device!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: