Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 04:18:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on Windows 10 and possibly fixing lower than expected hashrate  (Read 226 times)
bobben2 (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 23, 2021, 10:01:59 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2021, 10:27:49 AM by bobben2

We already know the bloatware called Windows 10 can throw sand into your mining operation.  
Recently, I discovered a very undesirable thing about Windows. By default it will steal as much as 85% of your network bandwidth, to upload to M$oft statistics about your network traffic.   I discovered that this impacts hashrate at the poolside as well.  
Look at the image at https://imgur.com/a/DZyvygi

These are all Windows 10 rigs mining Monero.
The first figure shows one rig, rigasus97a where Windows is stealing 85% of the network bandwidth of that rig, whereas all the others have this "feature" turned off.
The lower figure shows the reported hashrate after I fixed it on the rigasus97a rig.  See the difference in the graph?
You will no doubt want to fix this on your Win10 rigs.  Luckily, there is a Youtube video by Chris Titus on how to turn the above bandwidth stealing off.  Check out   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u1miYJmJ_4&t
Would be interesting to see if others have the same experience.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
jessyj48

Activity: 756
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 23, 2021, 02:35:26 PM

Hmm, it sounds like I'm hearing this for the first time but it's true, anyways I never like mining on windows OS for few reasons and as per hashrate issue mining on Linux OS works better and also we have hive OS and other mining OS now so I don't need windows OS, it's too buggy

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
January 23, 2021, 07:47:52 PM

Hmm, it sounds like I'm hearing this for the first time but it's true, anyways I never like mining on windows OS for few reasons and as per hashrate issue mining on Linux OS works better and also we have hive OS and other mining OS now so I don't need windows OS, it's too buggy

To buggy for you. Please don't always generalize windows 10, if good guided people use windows, then there is no difference between windows and linux, but windows is user friendly, because most people can handle it.

Windows runs for month without restart or problems, same on linux. I need 5minutes to setup a new windows rig and i need 5minutes to setup a new linux rig
miner29

Activity: 1266
Merit: 140

View Profile
January 23, 2021, 07:59:23 PM

To buggy for you. Please don't always generalize windows 10, if good guided people use windows, then there is no difference between windows and linux, but windows is user friendly, because most people can handle it.

Windows runs for month without restart or problems, same on linux. I need 5minutes to setup a new windows rig and i need 5minutes to setup a new linux rig

Windows forced updates ruins anything good about windows for miners.  Plus the TOS for Windows makes it a no go for me. 
bobben2 (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2021, 03:51:39 PM

Windows forced updates ruins anything good about windows for miners.  Plus the TOS for Windows makes it a no go for me. 

You can solve that by having your miner start up automatically on reboots.  Windows update usually ends with a reboot.
In Task manager go to Startup and add a miner startup script there.  Make sure it starts in elevated mode.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
January 25, 2021, 07:04:30 AM

OP find a pendrive with 8gb space and download hiveOS it's way better and easier, you don't have to be disturbed with updates like that of windows 10 anymore and this OS is only for mining purpose only, hiveOS was build on Linux too so its more user friendly than trying to run a mining software on Linux itself

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1056

View Profile
January 25, 2021, 10:02:33 AM

The update functions in Windows are disabled by tweaks. The farm doesn't care about virus safety.
Windows take longer to configure and take longer to administer, because on each farm you need to manually update the miners.
In Linux, with one click of a button, you can switch the algorithm and miner for many farms.
KaratX

Activity: 252
Merit: 29

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
January 26, 2021, 12:10:41 PM

I'd definitely go with Linux mining OS like Minerstat or hiveonOS, they are very light and slim in size, also it requires on one click and start ming, easy to monitor with apps and also every overclocking is available in dashboard, even if you want to flash your bios

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1056

View Profile
January 26, 2021, 01:11:59 PM

I'm ready to make a small correction, for the latest models of nvidia video cards (3060-3090),
I would first choose Windows, because they are easily configured through MSI Afterburner.
For amd, you have to use tweaks for memory, so it's easier to use linux
bobben2 (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2021, 03:33:11 PM

I agree with you all that Linux is the preferred platform for mining.  I have used Xubuntu since 12.04 and recently Hive OS myself.
But that is not what we are discussing, unless you are suggesting this as the solution to the problem.
For my part I got a small uptick in pool side hash rate once I "fixed" Windows.  Would be interesting to know if others have made the same observation.

safar1980
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1630

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
January 26, 2021, 05:33:08 PM

I agree with you all that Linux is the preferred platform for mining.  I have used Xubuntu since 12.04 and recently Hive OS myself.
But that is not what we are discussing, unless you are suggesting this as the solution to the problem.
For my part I got a small uptick in pool side hash rate once I "fixed" Windows.  Would be interesting to know if others have made the same observation.
As a rule, miners appeared faster for Windows than for Linux. Now the situation is changing. Windows allows you to use the farm in parallel for other tasks, such as network storage, VPN service, etc.
The same can be done on Linux, but it's hard for miners to master even simple operating systems for mining.

bitquad

Activity: 148
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 27, 2021, 07:51:22 AM

Sledgehammer is a utility that will disable Windows updates. I have it installed on W10 mining rigs.
Inkdull

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2021, 09:16:23 AM

Sledgehammer is a utility that will disable Windows updates. I have it installed on W10 mining rigs.
What is a sledgehammer? Is there any link or source that talks more about the sledgehammer? I hated windows 10 because of its updates, unnecessary data consumptions and others, believe me I've tried all I can to stop updates but it still happens

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: