Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:34:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ADVICE-Can disconnect or disable one chip from an S9 Board? Heatsink fallen off!  (Read 91 times)
BBitcoin92 (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 23, 2021, 02:58:45 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2021, 10:28:05 PM by frodocooper

Hi All.

I removed my boards from an S9 to clean but dropped one by accident and the heatsink has fallen off. Luckily the chip is still attached to the board.

Is there a way to fix this? Can i just isolate that chip by removing some components or cutting a track? Or is there a way to reattach the heatsink with some form of glue/compound?

Any advice much appreciated as board is only a few weeks old and it seems a waste to lose a whole board from one heatsink that is easily accesible as it's on the corner of the board.

Thanks in advance for replies.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 23, 2021, 04:01:42 PM

Carefully clean as much of the black adhesive off as you can - probably will require some scraping; it's hard. Find what they call "thermal adhesive", not the forever-slick stuff used on CPUs and the like but one that sets like a glue, and use it to reattach.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6405

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
January 24, 2021, 05:45:48 AM

Can i just isolate that chip by removing some components or cutting a track?

You can't, the signal travels from the 1st to the th63 chip, the control board will only power the hash board if the signal moves uninterrupted all the way to the 63th chip, although I have seen some work with 52 Asics, I guess that is because the chips are divided into domains, so only a few chips can actually be isolated and that is a rare case, I don't know the inner workings behind it but the short version of the answer would be "NO"

Or is there a way to reattach the heatsink with some form of glue/compound?

Yes, there is, here is a perfect and simple tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=378FPjkHQJc , you can find many more on Youtube.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BBitcoin92 (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 24, 2021, 07:12:03 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2021, 10:47:19 PM by frodocooper

Thanks guys, i'm based in the UK and came across this on Ebay.

Do you think it will suffice?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10g-HC-910-Silicone-Thermal-Conductive-Adhesive-Glue-Tube-Heatsink-Plaster-New/264440906160
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2549

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 25, 2021, 01:47:49 PM

Might work, most common used and best is either Arctic Alumina or Arctic Silver which are both thermal epoxies.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: