Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:50:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin are property, why isn't it bartering?  (Read 1628 times)
inoob (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 07:41:40 AM

If Bitcoin isn't a currency, why doesn't it fall under bartering when it's exchanged for goods?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sweetgirl01

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 07:55:22 AM

If it is not recognized as a currency. This means that investors in the hands of bitcoin income tax will be levied on high, to some extent, dealt a blow to speculation.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BLdk42HPNkst19cXgKHW7dR2B6AQPMF2Et
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:00:17 AM

If Bitcoin isn't a currency, why doesn't it fall under bartering when it's exchanged for goods?

because dictionary "currency" where bartering possessions such as gold, art, cars, sexual favours
is different compared to
government recognized "currency", such as bank notes, metal coins (FIAT)

bitcoin is not a
stock - companies 'products'
share - companies ownership
commodity - raw materials
government bonds

bitcoin is
an asset - a possession

if still unsure, speak to an accountant

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
xeroc

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:02:24 AM

Not the whole world is US .. there are others you know!
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:17:52 AM

Because it is bartering? Who said it isn't?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
nazban

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:23:34 AM

At least this possession... the government or any other organizations can't take unless they know the wallet password  Grin. Now lets just hope the NSA are not the real creators of bitcoin and have implemented back doors like they have done other important shit.
JoeyD

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:24:14 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2014, 08:51:27 AM by JoeyD

I think someone should clear things up a bit to the powers that be.

How can bitcoins actually be "owned" by anyone? There is no property on the Bitcoin network, although it could be used for administrative purposes of property. Nobody actually owns Bitcoin or bitcoins, were talking about a digital ledger with entries that are bound by a set of mathematical rules here.

- You can have access to a key-pair which is found and even though it's astronomically hard to find that exact key, it is not "owned" by you.
- That key gives access to a spot on the Bitcoin-train-network, but neither that spot, nor the network, nor the room (bitcoins) on that network is actually owned by any individual person.
- To be able to make use of the transportation-space on the Bitcoin-train-network you have to convince someone to send some of it to the part of the train you found the keys to. It just so happens that money is one of the easiest way to convince people, but that does not change the property aspect of anything.

Are train-tickets also considered property for the IRS? How about cellphone-network subscriptions? After you send an sms for example, can you still be considered "owner" of the digits or the network? Do you have to keep track of every good sms and keep a log of the monetary value you ascribe to that sms the moment you received it and file that in your tax-form?
b¡tco¡n

Activity: 84

Correct Horse Battery Staple

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:47:51 PM

How can bitcoins actually be "owned" by anyone? There is no property on the Bitcoin network, although it could be used for administrative purposes of property. Nobody actually owns Bitcoin or bitcoins, were talking about a digital ledger with entries that are bound by a set of mathematical rules here.

- You can have access to a key-pair which is found and even though it's astronomically hard to find that exact key, it is not "owned" by you.
- That key gives access to a spot on the Bitcoin-train-network, but neither that spot, nor the network, nor the room (bitcoins) on that network is actually owned by any individual person.
- To be able to make use of the transportation-space on the Bitcoin-train-network you have to convince someone to send some of it to the part of the train you found the keys to. It just so happens that money is one of the easiest way to convince people, but that does not change the property aspect of anything.

Are train-tickets also considered property for the IRS? How about cellphone-network subscriptions? After you send an sms for example, can you still be considered "owner" of the digits or the network? Do you have to keep track of every good sms and keep a log of the monetary value you ascribe to that sms the moment you received it and file that in your tax-form?

I think it is widely accepted that bitcoins have value and can be owned. The law and even common sense needs to play catch up with this btrave new digital world!

1GiB1jQnqjwmNW4U4i8autnnVb1fG8HTYM

This would be my avitar; http://s9.postimg.org/m2pzsiy57/avi.png
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 01:51:16 PM

Oh, you mean just like your bank account...

Buy peptides with BTC
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:54:38 PM

Oh, you mean just like your bank account...

Only that bank accounts are not bound by much. Grin
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 02:00:45 PM

Thank you for this brilliant and insightful explanation.

I would add to that: If you wanted, you could share one private key among two people, or twenty people, or two billion people.... Now who "owns" the coins associated with that address on the blockchain?

How will they tax THAT?

This is the problem with laws being crafted by people who don't even understand the technology they are legislating upon...

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
inoob (OP)

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:02:50 PM

my post was kind of redundant. but what i mean is, why not just trade wallets now? since people say they can make more than one wallet. why not just trade the wallet in tangible form, and give up the key. can't the key then be changed by the new owner?
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:11:02 PM

There still is alot of confusion of it being a currency, product, or commodity.  Bitcoin can be anything what you believe it to be.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:30:06 PM

This is EXACTLY how it is being treated, at least in the US.

Who ever said it doesn't fall under bartering when using it to trade for goods???
bountygiver

Activity: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 06:56:09 PM

At least this possession... the government or any other organizations can't take unless they know the wallet password  Grin. Now lets just hope the NSA are not the real creators of bitcoin and have implemented back doors like they have done other important shit.

:/
The SHA algorithm is indeed designed by NSA

Although it is proven not to be reversible by everyone, we can't confirm that those who know the ways to reverse doesn't exists as they could be silenced by NSA.

12dXW87Hhz3gUsXDDCB8rjJPsWdQzjwnm6
bountygiver

Activity: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 06:58:11 PM

my post was kind of redundant. but what i mean is, why not just trade wallets now? since people say they can make more than one wallet. why not just trade the wallet in tangible form, and give up the key. can't the key then be changed by the new owner?

Each wallet can only have 1 private key
And if you give B your wallet, now 2 people has access to the private key
And B gives C and now more and more people have access to the private key, where ANYONE can spend the funds in the wallet.

12dXW87Hhz3gUsXDDCB8rjJPsWdQzjwnm6
Imerman2

Activity: 83

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:03:08 AM

All that is necessary for something to be owned is for it to be scarce, Bitcoins are not unlimited therefore they can be owned.  If it is scarce then there can exist a conflict over who has the right choose how that scarce object is used, property rights over scarce objects eliminates this source of conflict.

The Bitcoin network as designed cannot be owned, but Bitcoins can.  Bitcoins and the Bitcoin network are not the same thing.
JoeyD

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:25:46 AM

The Bitcoin network as designed cannot be owned, but Bitcoins can.  Bitcoins and the Bitcoin network are not the same thing.

Actually they are, you can't separate the two and that includes ownership. I can understand why that would be an unpopular point of view for a lot of people, but that does not make it any less true. Just to make things clear I'm not saying Bitcoin or bitcoins don't have value, nor that you can't put a monetary price on the ability to affect the use of bitcoins in the network, but that does not equal property.

I think you could argue that bitcoin addresses are so hard to find that they are similar to staking a claim, but when there is no registration or authority to register that claim, how can this be considered property? Best analogy I can think of at the moment is that bitcoin-addresses are similar to discovering a unique celestial object (like an asteroid), you can decide to share that discovery with others or keep it secret, but other than naming it (and in the case of bitcoin that means being able to influence it), you do not own it. As far as I can tell, you can't call dibs in Bitcoin.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if having the ability to do something, could be considered property and that taking that ability away without compensation is punisheable similar to theft.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:37:27 AM

I love it when people say the whole world isn't the United States it reminds me of Amir Taki when I read that heh.  I'd say it's not being bartered on a large scale because there is not a real need for it or so people think.  Just like silver or alcohol band aids etc.  There will be a time for that but just not now it seems.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: