Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:54:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are these eBay listings for BIOS updates legitt?  (Read 141 times)
zakn138 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2021, 01:58:38 PM

I've come across a few of these BIOS listings on eBay while looking for extra 5600xt cards.

These listings all seem to have solid feedback ratings. I'm just struggling to find any content (Youtube videos, Reddit threads etc) discussing this BIOS flashes. Especially when they're offering sizable jumps in MH for the 5600XT/5700xt

For example https://www.ebay.com/itm/265008071618?ul_noapp=true

ty for your help/insight
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
January 25, 2021, 02:07:03 PM

I've come across a few of these BIOS listings on eBay while looking for extra 5600xt cards.

These listings all seem to have solid feedback ratings. I'm just struggling to find any content (Youtube videos, Reddit threads etc) discussing this BIOS flashes. Especially when they're offering sizable jumps in MH for the 5600XT/5700xt

ty for your help/insight

I doubt they are doing anything special with your BIOS, probably just sending you one of the many already available BIOS on the internet depending on the Brand and memory.  It might be worth the money if he/she is willing to hold your hand and get it dialed in if you have no idea what you are doing.  I would avoid letting some random person Teamviewer into your PC though.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5032

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2021, 02:11:07 PM

$12,5 for a BIOS mod plus $19,02 for shipping a digital product trough e-mail...

If you can't flash BIOS by yourself then I need from you Teamviewer ID and password to do it remotely by myself.

source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265008071618?ul_noapp=true

I can't shake the feeling this is a ripoff... And i'd never ever give somebody i didn't know teamviewer access to any machine, let alone a pc i used to mine...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
January 25, 2021, 02:37:11 PM

ty for your help/insight

And why you don´t do it by yourself? It is not hard and if you don´t want to do this, i can make you an bios for less money  Roll Eyes
Mighty_crypt

Activity: 784
Merit: 21

View Profile
January 25, 2021, 04:42:15 PM

It doesn't make sense because they charge for shipping fee too and that BIOS can only be sent through mail, this is suspicious and even if you are going to get anything it will be same BIOS from techpowerup website, some people lacks the knowledge so they buy BIOS without knowing they can be downloaded for free

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
January 26, 2021, 05:58:36 AM

Ever since the Polaris RX GPUs came out in 2016, people were selling memory strapped BIOSs on eBay and Amazon. It wasn't a scam it was just is something you can easily do yourself by watching a youtube video or reading an article.

So its hard to tell if this one is a scam or not. Yes allowing teamviewer access is risky however maybe some people don't have the knowledge to flash a bios so allowing access might help some people. If you allow teamviewer access you can watch what they are doing, if all of a sudden they are going into private folders you can always just cut the connection. I do know that some people when they allowed teamviewer access they might blank out the screen , if so that is pretty sketchy and might be a way to check for private keys.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: