Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:03:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: - Modded RX 580 BIOS - Can't overclock/underclock!!!  (Read 127 times)
Arrawnt (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2021, 06:36:44 PM

Hi friends

I hope mining and everything else go fine for you.

Back to mining (casual mining this time), I'm facing a problem about tweaking values.

I managed to flash bioses of my two RX580 Gaming X 8Go's with Ubermix 3.1.1 and Hynix agressive stance (Samsung/Hynix memory).
It works fine, but I cannot overclock/underclock with software like OverdriveNTool, Afterburner, or even Radeon software itself! As soon as I apply value change with software it resets back to bios values and accept changes under no circumstances.

I'm running under Win 10 Pro.
I've tried many AMD drivers, the only one which allows me to change values is the old Crimsom Beta Blockchain driver.

But for various reasons, I'd like to use latest AMDdrivers.

Any idea about what I may do wrong or what I could do to fix it?

Thanks anyway for your help! Smiley
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 12:01:53 AM

Try going back to stock bios and see if oc/uv allows any change.
If it does then need a different bios mod.

Maxstl007

Activity: 210
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 07:45:24 AM

If the gpu have bios switch on it you can use that to go back to Stock instead of reflashing stock bios again, I'm not sure if all RX580 versions carries the switch on them but I do have one here that does, goodluck
Arrawnt (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 03:11:39 PM

Try going back to stock bios and see if oc/uv allows any change.
If it does then need a different bios mod.

After a few tries once more, nothing wroks, even with stock Bios.

The only driver still allowing oc/uc is Beta Blockchain.

I have no clue about what to do to fix that, except formatting and reinstalling Windows and drivers, but would really want to avoid that.

I wonder if I might mod bios to include voltage and memories I found working best for each GPU... Would that be stable?
miner29

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 03:37:27 PM

Try one of the linux based mining os's....

Hive is probably a good choice as it will help you mod the bios in the system.
Only needs a memory stick (usb 3.0 thumbdrive) to install...no need to redo your windows drive.

Removes all the complications of windows.
Arrawnt (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 03:46:47 PM

I might give it a try... I use windows to be able to easily and quickly switch between mining and doing other tasks.
miner29

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 04:05:21 PM

This would let you make sure its not the OS giving you fits and if it does mine on linux..then its at least you know its not your hardware. 

At most would just require a reboot to switch.

Arrawnt (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 04:10:45 PM

This would let you make sure its not the OS giving you fits and if it does mine on linux..then its at least you know its not your hardware. 

At most would just require a reboot to switch.

You are right, I'll look after a HiveOS tutorial and give it a try.
Even if I can apply oc/uc changes under Beta Blockchain drivers.
Arrawnt (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 10:26:26 AM

I'm glad to let you know that I finaly manage to fix it few hours ago, even If I dont really know how I did that...
I've made a bunch of cleanup, reinstalled/uninstalled stuff which might have been badly uninstalled by the past like Afterburner, Gaming App, Control Center, etc...
It finalement worked with old 18.5.1 Adrenalin and now with latest drivers, I'm ocing/ucing with OverdriveNtool.
I guess there might have been somewhere an old config' file or script of an unidentified software that locked everything else.

The only odd thing is that I cannot set target temp. below what bios says and GPU fans can't go below 30% , but I can oc/un any other value and mining ops look stable.
Thanks anyway for your support Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: