Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:52:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to open Multidoge wallet without Multidoge?  (Read 56 times)
superbotolo (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 02:03:05 AM

I have a couple of old Multidoge wallets. Unfortunately the Multidoge app does not seem to work anymore on Mac. It just crashes when I try to open it and I have tried installing it multiple times.

Any way to open those wallets or at least see whether they have any Dogecoin left?
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2021, 01:13:17 AM

Before you try anything, make sure you're not doing that on the only copy of your wallet. Make a backup, preferably on a different drive. With that said...

• Do you have Java installed on your PC? If not, that might be the reason as to why it keeps crashing. Multidoge (which was forked from Multibit Classic if I'm not mistaken) is written in Java and thus requires the appropriate runtime to be installed on the end user's PC.
  • If the wallet isn't password protected (a.k.a. not encrypted), you could try opening the wallet file in a text editor and digging around for something that looks like Dogecoin private keys or addresses. I'm not particularly experienced with the MultiBit Classic / Multidoge wallet format but if it's in a human readable format, you may be able to get the data out with a bit of rummaging around.
  • If the wallet is password protected (or when you open the wallet file in a text editor, all you see is a bunch of weird unreadable symbols), you could try setting up a virtual machine that'll emulate a different operating system (e.g. Ubuntu), install MultiDoge there, transfer your wallet file to the virtual machine and open it there. While I'd usually advise against using anything Oracle makes, VirtualBox is a pretty decent piece of free software that allows you to set up virtual machines rather easily. Just don't install it while you're connected to your company's network, either directly or via VPN, just in case.

superbotolo (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:13:56 AM

For other friends of the forum who might have the same issue: the solution provided in the final post on this page worked for me.

https://github.com/langerhans/multidoge/issues/80
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: