Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:40:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux 18.04 for Lolminer and 5700XT?  (Read 123 times)
Randey Lahey (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 04:21:04 AM

I am fairly new to this and have been using lolminer on my gaming PC with a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT and Windows 10.  I am picking up my EVGA 3070 tomorrow, so I want to move my 5700XT to a spare PC I am building (i5 4670K/ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer/16GB Ram/250GB SSD).  I don't want to install Windows again (out of licenses), so I want to try Linux with Lolminer.  Which version of Linux do I need, 18.04 LTS or the newest one? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rowenta

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 07:55:18 AM

You will need 8gb to 16gb hdd or flash drive for the OS, it's your decision to pick where you want to boot from, also every other tools are available in the OS, overclocking, flash bios and others

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 02:39:09 PM

Do you even know how to operate Linux? Sorry for the doubting question because I don't like running Linux for mining, it's better to get Linux based OS that are created for mining purposes only, they are easier and even stable than windows, I use Minerstat OS and HiveOS

I know nothing about Linux, that's kind of why I wanted to try it out.  I was going to just install HiveOS, but isn't there monthly fees with that?  I don't want to pay fees on one GPU.
Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 02:57:43 PM

You will need 8gb to 16gb hdd or flash drive for the OS, it's your decision to pick where you want to boot from, also every other tools are available in the OS, overclocking, flash bios and others

I'd probably put it onto my spare 250 GB SSD, but I would really prefer to run it off of a USB and keep my drive somewhere else.  Do you need a USB 3.0 drive so that it's fast enough?  So you would use the OS to do the tuning instead of the AMD drivers?  Does it automatically override them or something?  Thanks for the replies.
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 05:02:44 PM

I'd probably put it onto my spare 250 GB SSD, but I would really prefer to run it off of a USB and keep my drive somewhere else.  Do you need a USB 3.0 drive so that it's fast enough?  So you would use the OS to do the tuning instead of the AMD drivers?  Does it automatically override them or something?  Thanks for the replies.

Let me tell you.  Drop USB and go get yourself a couple of cheap SSD drives, 60GB or 120GB, new or used.  They are not that much money and will pay you back in time saved.   They are way faster and more reliable than any USB.
Dont screw around with USB, especially if you are a linux noob, its not worth it.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 01:09:27 AM

Let me tell you.  Drop USB and go get yourself a couple of cheap SSD drives, 60GB or 120GB, new or used.  They are not that much money and will pay you back in time saved.   They are way faster and more reliable than any USB.
Dont screw around with USB, especially if you are a linux noob, its not worth it.

Ok, I should use the SSD I have then.  I won't bother with Linux if I don't need to.  I guess HiveOS only charges for more than 4 GPU's, so this wouldn't affect me anyways.  I guess I should watch a few videos on HiveOS then.
Rowenta

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 05:51:01 AM

I'd probably put it onto my spare 250 GB SSD, but I would really prefer to run it off of a USB and keep my drive somewhere else.  Do you need a USB 3.0 drive so that it's fast enough?  So you would use the OS to do the tuning instead of the AMD drivers?  Does it automatically override them or something?  Thanks for the replies.

There is nothing wrong with running Linux OS of a usb drive unless you get those cheap/fake usb drives from china, I've been booting my mining OS from usb stock for months now and I've never run into any problems, I don't know why you are saying all this, share your experience with usb drives, you make it sound like a joke

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
Wingsbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 06:18:29 AM

I am fairly new to this and have been using lolminer on my gaming PC with a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT and Windows 10.  I am picking up my EVGA 3070 tomorrow, so I want to move my 5700XT to a spare PC I am building (i5 4670K/ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer/16GB Ram/250GB SSD).  I don't want to install Windows again (out of licenses), so I want to try Linux with Lolminer.  Which version of Linux do I need, 18.04 LTS or the newest one? 
There is no point sticking with old mining software unless the old one performs more stable than the new version and lolminer is very good for AMD cards, I'm sure you won't have any problem with the latest version, you can try the two and pick the one that you feel is better

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 02:06:58 PM

There is no point sticking with old mining software unless the old one performs more stable than the new version and lolminer is very good for AMD cards, I'm sure you won't have any problem with the latest version, you can try the two and pick the one that you feel is better

Are you talking about lolminer?  If you read my post, you'll see I'm talking about which version of Linux to install.  I think I've decided to just put Windows on the other machine as it's only for one GPU, and I keep reading that HiveOS actually uses more power than Windows.  I have my gaming PC at 0.547 MH/s/W right now with my 5700XT (unmodded) which I think is pretty efficient.
Furryball

Activity: 490
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 02:48:26 PM

Go for mining OS instead, Linux can be very difficult to understand, download HiveOS or SMoS (simple mining) OS and load on a usb drive and boot it up, they are built with Linux OS and they works perfectly and more stable than windows 10, easy to config for newbies too

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2021, 03:09:04 PM

I am fairly new to this and have been using lolminer on my gaming PC with a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT and Windows 10.  I am picking up my EVGA 3070 tomorrow, so I want to move my 5700XT to a spare PC I am building (i5 4670K/ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer/16GB Ram/250GB SSD).  I don't want to install Windows again (out of licenses), so I want to try Linux with Lolminer.  Which version of Linux do I need, 18.04 LTS or the newest one?  
Go for mining OS instead, Linux can be very difficult to understand, download HiveOS or SMoS (simple mining) OS and load on a usb drive and boot it up, they are built with Linux OS and they works perfectly and more stable than windows 10, easy to config for newbies too

Every time I bring up using a USB with HiveOS I get a bunch of responses warning me to use an SSD instead as running a miner on a USB is a very bad idea.  I've had zero stability issues running lolminer on Windows 10 with a single card.  Is it worth the hassle of HiveOS to run one card (separate PC, 5700XT)?  I guess I can put it onto a USB and boot from it and see how it is compared to Windows.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
February 04, 2021, 07:07:31 PM

I am fairly new to this and have been using lolminer on my gaming PC with a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT and Windows 10.  I am picking up my EVGA 3070 tomorrow, so I want to move my 5700XT to a spare PC I am building (i5 4670K/ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer/16GB Ram/250GB SSD).  I don't want to install Windows again (out of licenses), so I want to try Linux with Lolminer.  Which version of Linux do I need, 18.04 LTS or the newest one?  

Every time I bring up using a USB with HiveOS I get a bunch of responses warning me to use an SSD instead as running a miner on a USB is a very bad idea.  I've had zero stability issues running lolminer on Windows 10 with a single card.  Is it worth the hassle of HiveOS to run one card (separate PC, 5700XT)?  I guess I can put it onto a USB and boot from it and see how it is compared to Windows.

Ive got some usb thumbdrives that have been on ethos rigs since late 2016...still working today... I cant speak for hiveos as it may do more writing to the drive...but for me...its about all im using for ethos and mmpos no issues.....and SSD’s die too...i get 64gb sandisk 3.0 drives for around $9 each direct from sandisk.  Everyone is welcome to spend as much as they want on cases rigs drives...whatever...me i like to minimize the cost i can.  Even if i had to replace ever year or two..would be cheaper.  I never use hdd cause that is a power hog.
toptek12

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2021, 07:49:38 PM

Do you even know how to operate Linux? Sorry for the doubting question because I don't like running Linux for mining, it's better to get Linux based OS that are created for mining purposes only, they are easier and even stable than windows, I use Minerstat OS and HiveOS

I know nothing about Linux, that's kind of why I wanted to try it out.  I was going to just install HiveOS, but isn't there monthly fees with that?  I don't want to pay fees on one GPU.

with HiveOS you get one free worker aka Rig to mine any were and up to 4 workers aka Rigs free if you mine eth/etc on there pools.

and YouTube has a lot of helpful videos to get you started .  
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 04, 2021, 08:56:50 PM

There is nothing wrong with running Linux OS of a usb drive unless you get those cheap/fake usb drives from china, I've been booting my mining OS from usb stock for months now and I've never run into any problems, I don't know why you are saying all this, share your experience with usb drives, you make it sound like a joke

There is nothing wrong using an USB stick if you know what you are doing.  USB is fine once you have a stable rig.
This guy is asking for advice giving away the impression that his knowledge of this stuff is basic.   If he gets stuck with some problem during software installation and have to reboot 10 times to trouble-shoot his problem, then having the OS boot from an SSD instead of an USB stick will save him a lot of time.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: