Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:57:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining room cooling - How to modify the room  (Read 116 times)
Andartis (OP)

Activity: 306
Merit: 7

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 12:10:50 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2021, 12:31:07 AM by Andartis

Hello,

I have my rigs in a basement room with a window. The room itself is 150m³ (yes cubic meters) big. On the one end there is a high window, like this:

At the moment, there are just 2 fans. One fan pulling 2000 m³/h in through half the window and one fan pushing 2000m³ out through a pipe out of the other half of the window. Due to the pipe pointing to the side outside, the air does not mix outside.

Now I am planning to optimize the airflow and separate the room into a hot and a cold side. I have thought of two options:

(The grey box on the bottom is a door.)

At the moment I have all my GPUs in oben wire shelves hanging. Both options would leave me the possibility to cut holes into the separating panel, to use it to push exhaust air directly through a rig os ASIC to the hot side, if needed.

What do you recommend and why? Any other ideas or hints?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 12:55:20 AM

1 is better but i think you are wasting some space.  have the exhaust at the far wall opposite the rigs (up top heat rises). No need for a lot of room...just insulate the return pipe and run it over head.  Then put a baffle at the incoming air so that it comes in at the floor down low...blowing in will travel across through gear into the exhaust fan on opposite wall.  Then consider walls in same direction as air is coming but with holes cut out for the rigs/gear.  This way the air that is moving has to move through the wholes in the wall.  You may be able to have 2 or 3 such walls and pull the air through just the rigs/gear before getting to exhuast. 

Just a thought.  The problem with an open area is that air will flow only around the most effficient path and not the other corners areas...lowest rig..etc

arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 01:01:11 AM

Just a thought.  The problem with an open area is that air will flow only around the most effficient path and not the other corners areas...lowest rig..etc

fan supplementation will fix this (various sizes), experimentation/tweaks will help optimize the design/solution.
Andartis (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 01:20:42 AM

1 is better but i think you are wasting some space.  have the exhaust at the far wall opposite the rigs (up top heat rises). No need for a lot of room...just insulate the return pipe and run it over head.  Then put a baffle at the incoming air so that it comes in at the floor down low...blowing in will travel across through gear into the exhaust fan on opposite wall.  Then consider walls in same direction as air is coming but with holes cut out for the rigs/gear.  This way the air that is moving has to move through the wholes in the wall.  You may be able to have 2 or 3 such walls and pull the air through just the rigs/gear before getting to exhuast. 

Just a thought.  The problem with an open area is that air will flow only around the most effficient path and not the other corners areas...lowest rig..etc

Hi thanks for the reply,

I can not mount the exhaust opposite to the window, because it is a basement and there is only this one big window.
Also, guiding the intake air to the bottom with a fan in front and sucking the hot air from top using 10 fand to blow the air around in the room, is actually my concept as of now! but the air just mixes and gets quite warm altogether. In winter fine, in summer too hot. So i thought of making the room smaller. It is like 15 meters long, thats too big. I am using only 5-6 meters for rigs anyways and there is still room for more. I could may out my power without using even half of the room, so since I use the from area for storage, it would be nice to have it not so hot.
Leading again to my above two options...
miner29

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 01:27:15 AM
Merited by Andartis (1)

something like this top view

https://ibb.co/s5fZpFB

air come in window and is brought into room low near floor.  Then the holes in the two walls are where rigs/gear sit to get air through them.  The return duct runs from the opposite side near near ceiling and carries air out the return side of window.  would need a few doors or panels to get in and service each side...but works to move air through the rigs.

* quick and dirty 3d rendering not to scale

Andartis (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 01:38:22 AM

So that would be a 3rd option.
Problem is, that the room has several carriers at the ceiling - like 15cm bumps. Could hang the piping unter that.
Also, due to the pressure lose within the ducts, i would have an over pressure in the room because the exhaust fan would have to push air through several meters of ducts.

Would need to split the room anyways since it is too long.

But would it make so much of a difference?

I mean, if I such out the air of a 65m³ hot room with 8000m³ and supply on the cold side the same 8000m³ of fresh air, would that not be enough? It is an air exchange of over 2x per minute. Because it is easy to install some insulating panels to split the room. but not that easy to install meters of 500mm ducts hanging from the ceiling.
miner29

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 01:46:01 AM

Problem is, that the room has several carriers at the ceiling - like 15cm bumps. Could hang the piping unter that.
Also, due to the pressure lose within the ducts, i would have an over pressure in the room because the exhaust fan would have to push air through several meters of ducts.

I mean, if I such out the air of a 65m³ hot room with 8000m³ and supply on the cold side the same 8000m³ of fresh air, would that not be enough? It is an air exchange of over 2x per minute. Because it is easy to install some insulating panels to split the room. but not that easy to install meters of 500mm ducts hanging from the ceiling.

Calculate the BTU load coming off the gear and that is answerable.  I know that forcing the air to flow through the gear is the best way.  Just through a room means most air is not coming in contact with the hot parts. 

I use a similar process to cool a cubic meter plywood box.  Its got around 60~75 gpus in it and at the bottom are filters for air in.  Out the top is a meter diameter fan that runs wide open and even in very hot summers the gpus all run below 70c (air temp will get to 100+F...there is math involved and its the weekend). The air is forced to pull through the smaller inside box containing the rigs.  And you can size the duct as needed....but the window size is the throttle point of the whole system...i would probably put a fan on outpu and one in or near input...  similar to asic designs...push pull...i mean thats exactly what they are doing...just they have a small densly packed space...you gotta have some room to work and such on them.

arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 02:00:51 AM

gpus can handle heat better than humans.

if you can't stay long enough in a mining room to troubleshoot a mining rig, then you know you maxed out the temp.

no humans can operate inside = not a mining room hehe.
Andartis (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 11:02:07 AM

Calculate the BTU load coming off the gear and that is answerable.  I know that forcing the air to flow through the gear is the best way.  Just through a room means most air is not coming in contact with the hot parts. 

I use a similar process to cool a cubic meter plywood box.  Its got around 60~75 gpus in it and at the bottom are filters for air in.  Out the top is a meter diameter fan that runs wide open and even in very hot summers the gpus all run below 70c (air temp will get to 100+F...there is math involved and its the weekend). The air is forced to pull through the smaller inside box containing the rigs.  And you can size the duct as needed....but the window size is the throttle point of the whole system...i would probably put a fan on outpu and one in or near input...  similar to asic designs...push pull...i mean thats exactly what they are doing...just they have a small densly packed space...you gotta have some room to work and such on them.

For the calculation, it would be about 20kW of hardware.

You are referring to the 3D drawing with your answer, right?
But I would also need to make gaps, so that the air only goes through the miners, right?
If we take my initial design, wouldnt that be somehow similar, even if not optimal?
I mean, I am going for a simple solution. The ceiling is not really good to mount anything on it, I would need to support the duct with columns. Even the lamps were a pain to mount because of the structure of the ceiling.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: