Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 06:40:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is cheaply made but sold at a ridiculous price?  (Read 140 times)
BAOLann (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 02:54:30 AM

A lot flipped houses. Be careful when looking at recently remodeled houses. Most of these are cheap flips with nothing more than some new paint, flooring and appliances. It becomes very apparent when you actually view the house in person and the doors don’t close right, the windows are old, and everything just feels cheap

AAPPKK

Activity: 36
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 02:54:47 AM

A lot flipped houses. Be careful when looking at recently remodeled houses. Most of these are cheap flips with nothing more than some new paint, flooring and appliances. It becomes very apparent when you actually view the house in person and the doors don’t close right, the windows are old, and everything just feels cheap

This is exactly our situation. And everything they “repainted” wasn’t sanded first so the paint peels if you try and clean it. My husband’s mom pointed out it was cheaply redone during our tour of it but everything else we looked at in our price range we would have to flip it ourselves. We are first time home owners so we were like fuck it, we have no idea what we’re doing so let’s take the cheap flip and not a huge project. It’s not horrible by any means, just annoying when you realize how cheaply some things were done!

playyamy

Activity: 43
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 02:56:15 AM

New build houses in the UK!

Built by the lowest bidder, to the lowest standards possible. Crammed in so densely that two "detached" houses can be less than 18 inches apart. The biggest scam is that the developers try to sell the house, but retain ownership of the land that it's built on, then charge rent for the land.

For this shit they want a minimum of £350,000.
with no shops or services and awful public transport links - and then insufficient designated parking spaces/roads not built with parking in mind.
KARSASA

Activity: 30
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 02:57:21 AM

I was a certified optician and ran a lens lab for Pearle Vision in the early 2000's.

Our most expensive frames, excluding the weird Armani shit we carried, cost us $20-$30 per frame. They sold for $200-$400 depending. Our cheapest frames cost us $2-3 each, and none sold for less $50.

The lenses, that's a lot of markup. I started in a brand new store, and we had a brand new lab full of Essilor hardware. Latest and greatest at the time. Standard lenses, nothing special just the standard CR32 plastic in a typical prescription? They cost $2 or so and we charged $40 each. So a "basic" pair of glasses cost us $8 in materials and was sold for $130.

The worst markup was on the high end lenses. At Pearle (at that time) the top end were the MTPROA lenses. Micro-thin polycarbonate aspheric lenses with anti-scratch and anti-reflective coating.

Basically, if you have a strong prescription (+- ~3 or so) aspheric can make a much thinner and lighter lens that can give you the same vision a thicker traditional lens does. Add in anti-scratch ($) anti-reflective ($) and the cost of the lenses alone were around $400 for the customer. Pearle Vision's cost for the lense blanks? $23.

The entire cost of the Essilor equipment in the lens lab at my location was only ~$250000, and we regularly sold $800+ glasses.

And, the part that I really hate, Mainecare (Maine medicare) at the time wouldn't provide coverage for anti-scratch coating (it was technically an "upgrade"). We couldn't buy lense blanks that didn't have it. My instructions were to strip the anti-scratch coating when making lenses for Mainecare clients. I ran the lab. Guess what I never did.
PEANUTUT

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 03:04:27 AM

I was a certified optician and ran a lens lab for Pearle Vision in the early 2000's.

Our most expensive frames, excluding the weird Armani shit we carried, cost us $20-$30 per frame. They sold for $200-$400 depending. Our cheapest frames cost us $2-3 each, and none sold for less $50.

The lenses, that's a lot of markup. I started in a brand new store, and we had a brand new lab full of Essilor hardware. Latest and greatest at the time. Standard lenses, nothing special just the standard CR32 plastic in a typical prescription? They cost $2 or so and we charged $40 each. So a "basic" pair of glasses cost us $8 in materials and was sold for $130.

The worst markup was on the high end lenses. At Pearle (at that time) the top end were the MTPROA lenses. Micro-thin polycarbonate aspheric lenses with anti-scratch and anti-reflective coating.

Basically, if you have a strong prescription (+- ~3 or so) aspheric can make a much thinner and lighter lens that can give you the same vision a thicker traditional lens does. Add in anti-scratch ($) anti-reflective ($) and the cost of the lenses alone were around $400 for the customer. Pearle Vision's cost for the lense blanks? $23.

The entire cost of the Essilor equipment in the lens lab at my location was only ~$250000, and we regularly sold $800+ glasses.

And, the part that I really hate, Mainecare (Maine medicare) at the time wouldn't provide coverage for anti-scratch coating (it was technically an "upgrade"). We couldn't buy lense blanks that didn't have it. My instructions were to strip the anti-scratch coating when making lenses for Mainecare clients. I ran the lab. Guess what I never did.
I'm a -8.25 and at almost 40 years old, I've only now hit the place where I can pay for my glasses in one payment. I'm even more grateful that my parents could afford to pay for my glasses as a kid. I don't think I got plastic lenses until I was in high school. Glass all the way.
BAOLann (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 03:05:22 AM

I'm a -8.25 and at almost 40 years old, I've only now hit the place where I can pay for my glasses in one payment. I'm even more grateful that my parents could afford to pay for my glasses as a kid. I don't think I got plastic lenses until I was in high school. Glass all the way.
My eyes are even worse than yours and I’ve had really good luck with Zenni. Even with high index lenses, all the extra coatings, and transitions lenses my last pair only cost about $110.
viperor

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 03:06:00 AM

Volkswagen ignition cylinders.

When I worked at Vw, we had to constantly order ignition switches because either they are cheaply designed or cheaply made. So when we would place the order from Volkswagen North America, it gets shipped directly from the manufacturer (either Huf or Valeo). And they would include the invoice in the box.

Well, Vw would charge the dealerships $99.95 and set MSRP at 129.95. The invoice from the manufacturer to Vw, showed cost to Vw being $14.95
Photony

Activity: 40
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 03:07:05 AM

French fries/chips/whatever you want to call them. McDonalds buys its potatoes at around 20 cents to the pound. You can get about four medium fries ($1.79) out of a pound of potatoes. Even if transport, labor, and other overhead triples the cost that's still a profit margin well over 1000%.

Margins on soda are even higher while burgers and other items have more ingredients and complexity and are thus more expensive to produce.
KBIGHTTT

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 03:07:41 AM

French fries/chips/whatever you want to call them. McDonalds buys its potatoes at around 20 cents to the pound. You can get about four medium fries ($1.79) out of a pound of potatoes. Even if transport, labor, and other overhead triples the cost that's still a profit margin well over 1000%.

Margins on soda are even higher while burgers and other items have more ingredients and complexity and are thus more expensive to produce.
Well, that is $1.50 profit. (Per medium fries) Sure it is alot compared to 20 cents. But let's not forget that, even though that is a big profit. You would need to sell a shit ton of fries to even make it worth it.

Sure McDonalds has enough money to buy potatoes at $1 by the pound, but that would mean they had to sell 80% (correct my math if im wrong) more.

With that said, it is still cheap for us consumers to buy it from them, than it would be for us to make it at home.

Just throwing my 2 cents in.
GALALAGA

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 03:08:13 AM

Well, that is $1.50 profit. (Per medium fries) Sure it is alot compared to 20 cents. But let's not forget that, even though that is a big profit. You would need to sell a shit ton of fries to even make it worth it.

Sure McDonalds has enough money to buy potatoes at $1 by the pound, but that would mean they had to sell 80% (correct my math if im wrong) more.

With that said, it is still cheap for us consumers to buy it from them, than it would be for us to make it at home.

Just throwing my 2 cents in.
Also, potatoes don't just turn into fries. Someone needs to process them somehow, whether that's cutting by hand or just tipping them into a fancy fry-cutting machine. Someone needs to fry them. Someone needs to bag them and give them to customers. This whole post is people forgetting that raw goods require people to turn them into products. And in a roundabout way this kind of thinking, that fries shouldn't cost $2 because a potato costs 20 cents, helps support paying the workers shit wages.
peter0425

Activity: 2702
Merit: 447

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 03:13:07 AM

Lol how could you Buy that BS house in Ridiculous price ? meaning you are a Stupid Buyer then.

That will be your house so you must be very particular in every details or else you will live in miserable life.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
boyptc

Activity: 3052
Merit: 681

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 04:15:17 AM

Have you heard of those collectors item in the world of fashion? any dress madd by a popular designer will be made and valuated a lot even if the material used isn't good.

Fans of those designers will treat it as a premium as long as it's made by that popular designer.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
..FAST DEPOSITS .........
..AND WITHDRAWALS..
    ▄▄████████▄▄                        ▄██████▄
  ▄███████▀██████▄                    ▄██████████▄
 ██████ ▀▀ ▄ █████       ██          ▄████████████▄
████████  ▄▀▄ ▀██▀      ▄███       ▄███          ███▄
███████▄  ▀▀▀ ▄██      ▄█████▄    ████████    ███████
███████  ██▀  ▄██     ████████▄   ███▀ ▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▀██
█████▄▄  ▀▀▄   ██▄    ▀▀█████▀▀   █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
 ██████ █ ▄ ▄█████    ▀▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▀   ████████    ██████▀
  ▀███████████████     ▀█████      ▀██████▄▄▄▄████▀▀
    ▀▀█████████▀         ███         ▀▀████████▀▀
..WHEEL OF..
..FORTUNE...
.WELCOME OFFER .
......200% + 50FS.....
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▀▀██████
████████████▀▀▀    ██████
███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
████▄     ▄█▀     ███████
███████▄ █▀      ████████
████████▌▐       ████████
█████████ ▄██▄  █████████
███████████████▄█████████
▀███████████████████████▀

.PLAY NOW.
[/ta
myrambler333

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 06:40:34 AM

food, esp, in the fantastic hotel. People go there for the atmosphere, and the hotel charges in a large amount. In fact, if we cook ourselves, it can save much money and the food will be more clean.
bitterguy28

Activity: 2058
Merit: 181

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2021, 06:47:22 AM

There was those Online Items that has been sold in So much price that i recently Find out that so cheap in Value.

I did not intend to visit a Mall somewhere in the middle of the city that in which the place where chinese imported product is sold and Damn they are selling so cheap that the seller online is profiting almost x5-7 per items.

decodx

Activity: 1456
Merit: 936

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
January 31, 2021, 11:44:23 AM

I'd say diamond and pearl. They're like stones, just the appearance is pleasing. totally worthless to me. but when I get married, I'll need to buy the diamond ring, damned ring Undecided

The title says "cheaply made"!
Man, have you ever explored the process of making a diamond (or pearl). It is certainly not a cheap process and their value is high because they are rare.
btc_love

Activity: 566
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 01, 2021, 08:20:51 AM

Modern education, medicine and pharmacy, etc.
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 09:04:16 AM

Can we include Apple products in the list? Cheesy

They are having an expensive price tag for every upgrade with no real upgrade in their hardware, all they are charging is for their brand name not for the actual product.
bitterguy28

Activity: 2058
Merit: 181

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2021, 09:25:02 AM

They are having an expensive price tag for every upgrade with no real upgrade in their hardware, all they are charging is for their brand name not for the actual product.
Looks like i'm not the only one who wanted Apple to be listed here  Grin

Actually they have some upgrade but we can't really recognized what it is  Angry

Hope One day there will be another brand that will keep more than security apple can provide in much cheaper value.

Murpheus

Activity: 155
Merit: 7

The dream God is what I embody

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 09:35:18 AM

I'd say diamond and pearl. They're like stones, just the appearance is pleasing. totally worthless to me. but when I get married, I'll need to buy the diamond ring, damned ring Undecided

Come on man....  Grin Cheesy Grin
you are getting it all wrong

Just to get their previous buyers to discard the old ones that are still working perfectly well to buy another one

Do you need a CM?? Hit me Up
t.me@Morphis009
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 05:29:14 PM

snip---
Just to get their previous buyers to discard the old ones that are still working perfectly well to buy another one
What will be the actual use! haha. The one company can become successful when they have stupid people as their customers. Shocked
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: